Home

ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

This is a discussion on ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 46
Re: ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddelMeThis22
(ESPN NFL 2K5 = best NFL game of all time.) (APF 2K8 = best football gameplay of all time.)
right on
Old 11-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

My greatest sports game would be MLB The Show 09 or NCAA Football 06. I had the most fun with those 2 games.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 11-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 23

I still play 2k5, and amazingly still on rare occasions see animations I've never seen before. I saw a 3 defender gang tackle the other day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

2K5 was the Tecmo Bowl of its time, and the only people who hated it were strict Madden fans, and those who just refused to embrace something different.

While the competition was giving you ways to price virtual popcorn, 2K was delivering a true Sunday experience and all the extras you needed to keep you involved with the game. It put the competition to shame and gave us a glimpse of what the future of football gaming could be... then the disaster happened.

The game's status in history will always have some contention because of the overall popularity of Madden and its popularity at the time.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
2K5 was the Tecmo Bowl of its time, and the only people who hated it were strict Madden fans, and those who just refused to embrace something different.

While the competition was giving you ways to price virtual popcorn, 2K was delivering a true Sunday experience and all the extras you needed to keep you involved with the game. It put the competition to shame and gave us a glimpse of what the future of football gaming could be... then the disaster happened.

The game's status in history will always have some contention because of the overall popularity of Madden and its popularity at the time.
I agree that this game will go down in history to us gamers. I even know some casual gamers that have no clue about the roster updates and such that still talk about 2k5. I wish the disaster wouldn't of happened so there could be competition to make all NFL games ahead of what it is now
Old 11-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #14
MVP

loccdogg26's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

and all this for $19.99
Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
First of all, that article was a jumbled mess. The title doesn't even make sense, and it contradicts the subject matter.

Are any of you old enough to remember 2004? Just curious b/c I don't understand how you can argue that NFL 2k5 was the greatest sports video game ever, when it wasn't even clearly the best football game in 2004. I don't care what measurable you use--go look at chat boards, meta scores, reviews, # of units sold, whatever, Madden and 2k were neck and neck, yet nobody ever throws Madden 2005 in these "greatest game ever" discussions.

People made excuses for 2k5 left and right because it was only $19.99 and because they hated the arrogance of the "evil empire" (EA). And I find it extremely coinicidental that games people always talk about as "best ever" were ones that were no longer made after that year. Actually, no, it makes perfect sense because the only time people on this site truly evaluate something for what it is (instead of complaining about how it should've been better) is when they KNOW they won't be getting anything better next year. Hence, 2k5, MVP 2005, and especially CH2008 reguarly make it into these discussions.

I like 2k5, and I do think that in retropspect, it offered the best "building block" for what a next-gen football game could look like. But 2k5 as a product in its time was markedly inferior to Madden 2005 in many ways, including the franchise mode, player progression, framerate, and (even some would argue) overall visual quality. 2k is a martyr on these boards, but outside of the NBA2k series, what have they done on the 7th gen consoles to suggest that they would've done anything different but put out a new version of 2k5 every year with new rosters and a new feature here or there?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
But 2k5 as a product in its time was markedly inferior to Madden 2005 in many ways, including the franchise mode, player progression, framerate, and (even some would argue) overall visual quality. 2k is a martyr on these boards, but outside of the NBA2k series, what have they done on the 7th gen consoles to suggest that they would've done anything different but put out a new version of 2k5 every year with new rosters and a new feature here or there?
First, you cant say what VC would or wouldnt have added to NFL 2K because they were never given that chance. Tirubon has had that chance and while 2010 was decent, the gamepla still sucked and in many many ways was still behind 2K5 which is beyond sad because how any football game can still trail 2K5 five years later is beyond me.

Second, I'll give Madden 2005 the edge in franchise and I'll even admit that they had a lot of stuff that I wish was in 2K5 management wise but there's no way in hell, 2005 was better than 2K5 in visual quality. Anyone who thinks that is blind. Framerate wise, when the player models look like midgets, its kind of easy to keep the framerate consistent.

And third, the reason why most people think that 2K5 is still the best football game period is because even Madden fans will compare their current version of Madden to 2K5 year after year and that in itself is why 2K5 IS the best because every football game that has come after it is compared to it. Sort of how every 3D platform game was and still is compared Super Mario 64.

Personally, 2K5 is still the best football video game that I have ever played and if Madden 2010 is any indication, it will remain the best for years (and probably decades) to come.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »