Home

MLB 2K9 Blamed for Take-Two Losses

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Blamed for Take-Two Losses within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB 2K9 Blamed for Take-Two Losses

Kotaku and Pasta Padre have both posted articles on Take-Two blaming MLB 2K9 for losses.

Quote:
"The rest of Take-Two's bad news is financial. The company expects fourth quarter and fiscal year 2009 to be below guidance due to "the performance of its Major League Baseball titles in the fourth quarter" and "lower than expected initial performance of several of its key holiday releases."

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 13
Re: MLB 2K9 Blamed for Take-Two Losses

What a complete shame. Had Take-Two invested the time and resources to putting out a quality title, I honestly believe that MLB2K9 would have sold more units. MLB2K9 is the only baseball title available on the 360. Why not allocate the same resources that you do the NBA product and assure yourself of a solid review. They would then give themselves a chance to compete with The Show on the PS3.

Reading through The Show's forums, there are quite a few fan's of Sony's product who admit to the 'staleness' of that game after some time with it. This is where Take-Two fails to take advantage of the demand for a competitive product.

The same needs to be said for the football side of the house. All Pro Football 2K8 is already a quality title. Bare-bones, yes. But a quality game, nonetheless. It can't possibly cost too much to build upon that foundation by adding all of the customized features fans of the game have been craving and compete with EA's title at SOME level.

Finally, the company's marketing strategy has not been well-thought out. They will never have the resources to market their games on EA's level. But there are better ways to market the product and create customer awareness so that people will want to buy your titles.

But first things first. Improve and release quality games!

I'm not a marketing or business expert, but I DID stay a Holiday Inn :-)

BigBlue
Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
Forever A Legend

24's Arena

OVR: 22

if 2k fails to produce a viable product this year than i believe the exclusive licsence they have with the mlb will be terminated. i actuallly think it is a good thing though. 2k is being pressured into making a decent playable baseball game
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
The 2K MLB exclusive has been a disaster ever since it was signed. Good to see that baseball gaming fans aren't the only ones suffering. Would it be so much to ask for a high quality 360 baseball game not names The Bigs?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
MVP

Artman22's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopydude
if 2k fails to produce a viable product this year than i believe the exclusive licsence they have with the mlb will be terminated. i actuallly think it is a good thing though. 2k is being pressured into making a decent playable baseball game
I completely agree with you. I really hope this puts a lot of pressure on VC so they can make a very good baseball game. If 2k would invest in mlb2k I could see it being successful. They have the third party rights. Why not take full advantage of that??? It seems like they put all their resources on NBA2k and screw the rest. Could mlb2k10 finally be a good game?? I hope so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Did they expect the game to do well when they left it incomplete, failed to deliver on a final patch and failed to answer or comment on any part of the game after it released. IMO, the way they handled the game was completely unprofessional and a slap in the face to their consumers.

Hopefully this is the wake up call they need to realize that the consumers aren't going to put up with garbage again...and if they don't get that, then hopefully the game flops and goes to a company that will deliver results.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

good...glad to hear this. hopefully they won't receive bailout money from washington - let them fail...their product sucked.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #8
I Drink Like A Champion!!

yankeesgiants's Arena

OVR: 16

They have bailed out on supporting the product after the release for 2 straight years. The Ben Brinkman thing I get but they bail on it again last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »