Home

MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Preview (Destructoid)

This is a discussion on MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Preview (Destructoid) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 14
MLB '10: The Show Hands-On Preview (Destructoid)

Destructoid has posted their hands-on preview of MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
"After I sent a few balls into Yankee Stadium’s short porch with Ryan Howard, Levine and I started up an exhibition game. He chose to play during the day in order to show off MLB 10’s daytime transitional lighting system. This year’s game had a dusk-to-darkness shift, but now, you’ll see the late afternoon shadows growing long and the sun getting lower in the sky -- in real time. It’s a subtle but impressive effect that’ll likely take you by surprise the first time you notice it. Weather effects are new to the series, too; our game was played in bright sunshine, but Levine told me that fog will envelop some games. And as you can see in the shot of Alex Rodriguez below, Sony has also given the game’s statistical overlays a face-lift, forgoing blue for black in the color scheme."
Platform: PS3

Last edited by 42; 12-17-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Destructiod Preview

Sweet, thanks for posting!

Quote:
He chose to play during the day in order to show off MLB 10’s daytime transitional lighting system. This year’s game had a dusk-to-darkness shift, but now, you’ll see the late afternoon shadows growing long and the sun getting lower in the sky -- in real time. It’s a subtle but impressive effect that’ll likely take you by surprise the first time you notice it. Weather effects are new to the series, too; our game was played in bright sunshine, but Levine told me that fog will envelop some games.
SWEET!

But the million dollar question is:

Will there be rain?

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 12-17-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
MVP

hitstreak13's Arena

OVR: 13

Very nice! Thank you
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
Rookie

idesign2's Arena

OVR: 7

"Joining MLB 09’s hitting and baserunning practice modes will be pitching and fielding drills; the latter will help gamers get acclimated to the new throwing accuracy meter for fielders, which sounds like it’ll take after the one in EA Sports’ MVP Baseball 2005 "

Will the new accuracy meter be used in all game modes, not just RTTS? If so, that may go a long way toward improving fielding, which is one of my few gripes about the game.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
I’ve been an unabashed fan of The Show for some time now, but one gripe I’ve had with the games is their utter lack of collision detection on the field. At times, you could fool yourself into thinking you were watching a game on TV -- at least until a baserunner literally slid through the guy covering second. It was a jarring thing to see, and it completely ruined the immersive atmosphere that the developers had clearly worked so hard to create. But Levine told me that this was high on Sony San Diego’s list of fixes to implement in MLB 10, and he assured me that players won’t ghost through each other anymore. That was heartening -- the absence of collision detection was the only major visual issue I had with MLB 09.
Not to mention throwing accuracy meter like MVP 05!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2
"Joining MLB 09’s hitting and baserunning practice modes will be pitching and fielding drills; the latter will help gamers get acclimated to the new throwing accuracy meter for fielders, which sounds like it’ll take after the one in EA Sports’ MVP Baseball 2005 "

Will the new accuracy meter be used in all game modes, not just RTTS? If so, that may go a long way toward improving fielding, which is one of my few gripes about the game.
Yes, the practice mode is to help you get used tot he new meter!!!

I guess they listened to those who wanted the MVP meter in the game!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
True.

Chef Matt's Arena

OVR: 44

Good read. HR derby baby!
The celebrity chef culture is a remarkable and admittedly annoying phenomenon. Of all the professions, after all, few people are less suited to be suddenly thrown into the public eye than chefs. We're used to doing what we do in private, behind closed doors.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by idesign2

Thats awesome...like he said, I wonder if its available for all game modes.
I personally dont play RTTS, just season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »