Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 Debut Trailer (No Gameplay)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 Debut Trailer (No Gameplay) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:12 PM   #9
08 Mets! One Year Older!

thornie's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 Debut Trailer (No Gameplay)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms24forever
I really hope the work on the pitcher vs hitter. It's what makes the game so beautiful. Setting up the hitter vs. the hitter come up to the plate and making the necessary adjustments. I would love for 2K to add a protect the plate feature. Maybe a weaker swing, where the likelyhood of fouling off a ball - opposed to getting a hit. Of course this would be ratings based. Some hitters would be better then others.
i honestly think they will. The one thing 2k got right the last two years has been the pitching side of the ball. It's the one thing that makes the game playable over the Show. If they continue to improve on that aspect, we will have a half decent game this year.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornie
i honestly think they will. The one thing 2k got right the last two years has been the pitching side of the ball. It's the one thing that makes the game playable over the Show. If they continue to improve on that aspect, we will have a half decent game this year.
I agree on the user side of the game, but the AI pitching was still, IMO, just a series of random pitch types and locations. There just seems to be no liquid, on the fly, dynamic to the AI's pitching logic. The outcome of the pitch (strike or ball) seemed to be the only thing taken into account and not what the hitter actually did with the pitch. In other words, whether your hitter crushed a hanging curveball 450 feet foul for strike two or chased a curve in the dirt for strike two seemed to have no impact on what the next pitch would be. Everything just seemed to be a roll of the dice and you'd see 0-2 changeups up and in called by the AI.

If they could add a reactive system that actually learned from your tendencies, I think it would take this game to great levels. It could start of basic at first and they could take it deeper in future years, but there has to be a way that the computer picks up on some very general tendencies and then exploits them. If you swing at every pitch, the computer should begin to expand the zone until you adjust.

And I could argue it was even worse on the AI hitting side as even after the patch, even the most patient hitters in real life acted as Clones of Vlad in the game.

They have done a great job capturing the stances and windups of these players, but IMO, that is where it stops. At almost no point playing this game, do I feel like I am actually facing these players. Occasionally I get a glimpse of what feels like Tom Glavine pitching like Tom Glavine, but for the most part I get Tom Glavine pitching like Joe Shmoe.

Where is Albert Pujols taking and fighting of pitches until you make a mistake? Where is Jason Kendall refusing to swing the bat until he has two strikes? They all kind of share the same mentality when at the plate.

I think some very generic hitter/pitcher personalities would do wonders to this game to add a level or realism that differentiates one player from another.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 12-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Looking forward to a great game this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Looking forward to a great game this year.
Me too. With what we know so far I have a feeling that it is going to be a good game this year. I know it's not going to be up to par with the show, but I think this game will at least be playable.

FLY EAGLES FLY

Old 12-18-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
Me too. With what we know so far I have a feeling that it is going to be a good game this year. I know it's not going to be up to par with the show, but I think this game will at least be playable.

Just curious... but "what do we know so far"?

I have yet to see any info, please point me to the right direction.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Just curious... but "what do we know so far"?

I have yet to see any info, please point me to the right direction.

Basically this. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-mlb-2k10.html. It's not a lot, but it's a start. It just talks about the audio. There really hasn't been a lot of info out.

FLY EAGLES FLY

Old 12-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #15

OVR: 34

I need to preface this with the reality that I want this game to be successful. I really do.

However, you don't make your first video with no gameplay. You have a competitor that has consistently outdone you in this generation. Put something up that show what you're talking about. Show that your game has pop. All this shows me is that they are relying on celebrity to boost their product.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

That was a nice, funny video. I love hearing guys talk about baseball, and hearing King Felix talk about his approach to Longoria was great. Plus, the cambio is my favorite pitch. Nice to see Bailey get some recognition after his great season as well.

I don't need to see gameplay in December. Once the calendar turns, yeah then I'll expect some. With the pressure on the MLB 2K team, I hope for their sakes that they put out a good product this year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »