Home

THQ and WWE Sign Eight-Year Deal

This is a discussion on THQ and WWE Sign Eight-Year Deal within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
THQ and WWE Sign Eight-Year Deal

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., and STAMFORD, Conn., Dec 22, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) and World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE:WWE), leaders in video gaming and sports entertainment, today announced that they have entered into a new eight-year agreement granting THQ the exclusive worldwide rights to develop and publish video games based on WWE(R)'s content effective January 1, 2010.

WWE grants THQ the exclusive worldwide rights to publish interactive games based on WWE properties across all major gaming platforms and distribution channels.

Since WWE entered the video game market in 1990, it has been a recognized leader and one of the top ten best-selling brands since 1995* according to NPD Group. Through September 30, 2009, THQ has reported net sales of WWE video games in excess of $1.4 billion.

"This agreement ensures that WWE games will continue to be an important cornerstone of THQ's annual release schedule for the long term," said Brian Farrell, THQ President and Chief Executive Officer. "We look forward to working directly with WWE to expand their brand in the video game space through continued game play innovation and increased online delivery of WWE content."

"As one of the most successful video game brands, WWE is excited to work directly with THQ to translate WWE's colorful characters and ever-changing content into exciting and fresh video games for our fans," said Donna Goldsmith, WWE Chief Operating Officer.

"This year's highly rated WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010 video game demonstrates the innovation and creativity that THQ brings to WWE," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "This new licensing agreement will ensure that we continue our tremendous success in the video game industry in the years to come."

*Based on US Market brand ranking 1995-November 2009
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: THQ and WWE Sign Eight-Year Deal

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Even more reason to hope the AAA games turns out good.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Pro

kennytomson's Arena

OVR: 10
so is the new EA franchise an INDYcar game!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Aww...

Smackdown vs Raw 2010 is a good game, but WWE games could've really used a freshening up with a new developer.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #5
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennytomson
so is the new EA franchise an INDYcar game!
You never know, EA and WWE could sign a separate deal for another wrestling game. Just a thought.

If they signed for 8 years, I really hope that Yukes does something good with this franchise because at times I did feel a little underwhelmed with a few things in SDvR10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Aww...

Smackdown vs Raw 2010 is a good game, but WWE games could've really used a freshening up with a new developer.
Yeah, I don't really mind this though. I enjoy the SDvRaw games and it's not like some awesome other next gen wrestling game actually exists. The TNA game was garbage, so I'd kinda rather have a fun SDvRaw rather than have the WWE go to some company that releases a crap game.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
The Smackdown series has sold well and is always a solid game. TNA needs to release a second game and compete
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazard
You never know, EA and WWE could sign a separate deal for another wrestling game. Just a thought.

If they signed for 8 years, I really hope that Yukes does something good with this franchise because at times I did feel a little underwhelmed with a few things in SDvR10.
Other than the fact the deal grants THQ exclusive development rights, I'm sure EA could develop a video game

Hate to say it, but saw this coming after posting my second blog on the WWE license a week or two ago, it was pretty plain THQ and WWE were going to continue their relationship for a much longer period of time. All the EA/WWE hype was really fueled by a bunch of unsubstantiated speculation which, after a bit of research, proved to be unfounded. Good for THQ I suppose....some folks won't like this, but best to keep some form of developer diversity out there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »