Home

Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot) within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 11
Yeah, I hate to be to negative at this point but I really am not happy with the follwing:
1. Text that tells me the pitch type- even on occasions I don't like that.
2. The swing mechanic- there is not enough time to be defensive with your swing. There should be 1 swing type back for step and up to swing. TIme it right and based on ratings it's good or bad.
3. nothing at all mentioned about improved graphics, player models, stadiums etc...
4. pitching rings again! I hated that things. oh well I guess...
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Major League Baseball 2K10 First Look (Gamespot)

Really love the additions to franchise mode(40 man rosters, comp picks, rehab assignments). I'm a big franchise guy, so these things are huge for me. I'm looking forward to playing my player mode, and am glad I can't just take someone like Pujols' job. Also on the note of my player mode, they mentioned how you can pick the batting stance so hopefully we will be able to do for every single player in the game, which was a big reason I didn't get it last year.

Can't wait to see some gameplay sometime (hopefully)soon. I'm definitely looking forward to this more because of what I've read, and hopefully they'll deliver with some solid gameplay.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-47
I'm not a fan of flashy junk on the screen. I don't need flashing words to tell me what pitch is coming. If it looks like ****, don't swing, simple as that. I hope there's an option to turn this stuff off.

The devs need to quit catering to the players with no skill. These same lamers quit online games if you throw them balls.
I don't know man, hitters pick up pitches by reading the rotation of the seams or spin of the ball...you don't get that in a baseball video game. Everything is a fastball at first until it changes direction and you react.

Now I'm not saying I can't ever distinguish one pitch from another, but it's later than a hitter actually would and if you're playing at faster pitch speeds becomes more of a guess than a recognition. They're just trying to add a real life element to it.

Now adding texts, IMO, is not the direction I'd prefer. I liked the color coding of the MVP series and suprised they didn't stick with that.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 5

The key for me was the beginning of the preview, when Bishop discusses their culling of statistics like day vs. night, pre-All Star vs. post-All Star performance. My next question is, "What kind of sample sizes are we talking about here?" I mean, these statistics, unless they're shown to be replicated from year to year for that individual is nothing more than trying to find some kind of pattern in random data. To me, this is so typical of 2k Sports - hanging their hat on some kind of dubious statistical information and quoting it as fact. That's not the way it is - and it's not part of simulation of baseball.

Even the Pettitte vs. Longoria thing. He's 2 for 16 lifetime against him. 16 at bats?! So what! So, the game is going to ding Longoria because of 16 at bats? I understand trying to add a little statistical atmosphere to the game, but in this context it makes no sense and it just the typical asinine drivel you hear from the same recycled announcers who don't quite understand the game. 16 at bats does not a pattern or trend make.

Last edited by Craigsca; 01-15-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

I really wish the writer would have said how 2k10 & what he saw differed from 2k9. He mentions VC admitting 2k9 wasn't good & suffered from a short Dev Cycle. He then says VC claims the game has benifited from a normal Dev Cycle, but that's it.

Very disappointing. I really appreciate the additions in Franchise Mode (40 Man Rosters, Sept call-ups etc, etc, etc) but I really wanted to hear how the game plays compared to last year.

Hopefully either OS or Jon Robinson (ESPN Video Games) can talk about the difference & the feel of the game & how they compare (2k9/10)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
Pro

HK-47's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I don't know man, hitters pick up pitches by reading the rotation of the seams or spin of the ball...you don't get that in a baseball video game. Everything is a fastball at first until it changes direction and you react.

Now I'm not saying I can't ever distinguish one pitch from another, but it's later than a hitter actually would and if you're playing at faster pitch speeds becomes more of a guess than a recognition. They're just trying to add a real life element to it.

Now adding texts, IMO, is not the direction I'd prefer. I liked the color coding of the MVP series and suprised they didn't stick with that.

I never had any problems, even with the pitch speed maxed out.

If I can have success without flashy junk, anyone can. You just have to focus, and stop swinging at everything.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

I hope Batter's eye can be turned off, I wonder how obtrusive this text on screen may result.

Has anyone got an idea on how we're gonna check our swing with this overhauled swinging mechanics?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Fielding is a bit more straightforward than other aspects of MLB 2K10. However, it's worth pointing out that special attention has been paid to animation. "We have a ton of new fielding animations this year. We spent a lot of time adding in lots more gathers, grabs, and catches. But one of the cool things you can do is cue up throws this year," says Bishop. "Start holding the button for the base you want to go to and he'll start making the throw and you'll get to see a whole new cool set of animations." Fielding also lets you throw off to a cutoff man when the situation calls for it, and you can use either the face buttons or the analog stick to make a throw at any given time. On the baserunning side of things, you can also cue up how you run by pressing either of the triggers on the controller, so if you want to automatically run to second, you simply click the trigger twice. Conversely, if you want to run back a base, you simply press the trigger once. There are also options to give commands to all baserunners at once or to give them to individual runners.

I love this!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »