Home

Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1

Check out the Backbreaker Developer diary #1 video.

1:03 - Legs driving breaking a tackle and keeps going
1:07 - Same thing
1:27 - Sack QB then Fumbles LOOKS NICE!!!!

Pros
Looks beautiful
Tackles and interactions are amazing

Cons
A lot of warping
Catch animations look funky

Overview
Looks promising but still looks too rigid, too much warping, and a general lack of polish across the board still.

Hope they can fix some of these issues because the engine alone is worth owning the game.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360

Last edited by Phobia; 02-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Rookie

major major's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Backbreaker Dev Diary #1

Thx!
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 PM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

It will be interesting to try out their control scheme. I can't remember any other football game where you spin using the analog.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Rookie

Dudd's Arena

OVR: 4

AI looks like it needs some work, the pass defenders don't even attempt to make a play on the ball unless it's thrown right at them. I was hoping that with a full physics engine it would make things like that easier, just set both the defender and a receiver into pass catch mode and let the physics simulate the rest, but defenders stopping and moving away from the catch is a worrying sign. It's especially horrible at the 3:15 mark, it looks like both defenders try to move to the closest point on the ball's path despite the fact that the ball would be long gone by the time they reach that point, and it opens up tons of separation for the receiver. All the pretty tackling in the world is for naught if players don't accurately react to what is happening around them.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 3

Looks much better than that garbage EA puts out every year. I cant wait
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 10

Now that was impressive. On the field, it just has that football feel to it and of course the euphoria element will keep things fresh. It's really exciting, as a football fan to see the potential of euphoria and how it could change the video football game world.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudd
AI looks like it needs some work, the pass defenders don't even attempt to make a play on the ball unless it's thrown right at them. I was hoping that with a full physics engine it would make things like that easier, just set both the defender and a receiver into pass catch mode and let the physics simulate the rest, but defenders stopping and moving away from the catch is a worrying sign. It's especially horrible at the 3:15 mark, it looks like both defenders try to move to the closest point on the ball's path despite the fact that the ball would be long gone by the time they reach that point, and it opens up tons of separation for the receiver. All the pretty tackling in the world is for naught if players don't accurately react to what is happening around them.
Completely agree Dudd and looks like me and you both are saying same things on the BB boards.

I think the engine will be the honest downfall. If the AI is not perfect the weight and such of the players taking bad angles and such will completely break the game.

Football is a complex sport and having a perfect working AI for all 22 players is a tough feat to under take. I don't think the BB team has enough knowledge to succeed in this area.

The tackle engine will bring huge leaps to sports gaming but the AI in the game will ultimately make BB a failure.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

What level was the AI being played on...Rookie? ...Pro?...ALL-Pro? I just don't know

Positives:

Double Team Blocks
Spectacular Mid Air Collisions
Proper football stances(realistic explosion out of stances)
Foot planting

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »