Home

Backbreaker Hands-On Impressions (Joystiq)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Hands-On Impressions (Joystiq) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Backbreaker Hands-On Impressions (Joystiq)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Yeah, fair enough. Joystiq was the most positive preview of Backbreaker and Madden forced them to redo their article last year because it was so negative. On the flip side, IGN was possibly the only truly negative preview of Backbreaker so far and they historically go higher than average with their reviews of Madden. Safe to say there is some politics involved in these previews on both sides.

It's really a shame because, these games honestly don't have to compete. If people pick up Backbreaker and enjoy it for three months, they probably got their moneys worth. Then they can move on to Madden if they want. People do it with NCAA all the time.
I agree. I always rent games on their first release (on the off chance the game is terrible) but having a new football game in May with customization like backbreaker is a great thing. Even if its just mediocre I'll be happy with it to take up my time till NCAA/Madden and maybe even further if its good. I like Madden/NCAA but that doesn't make me automatically against other football games. All of these games are going to have their share of problems though.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
I agree. I always rent games on their first release (on the off chance the game is terrible) but having a new football game in May with customization like backbreaker is a great thing. Even if its just mediocre I'll be happy with it to take up my time till NCAA/Madden and maybe even further if its good. I like Madden/NCAA but that doesn't make me automatically against other football games. All of these games are going to have their share of problems though.
Great post. It is good to see more level headed people post in these threads. I am on the opposited end of the spectrum. I used to love playing Madden NFL games, but they got stale to me and they seemed to get worse when they switched to next-gen. Take for example, NBA 2k10. I like the game, but I loved last years version. I rarely play it. I have only played about 170 games while many other players have played 1000's.

I sometimes think that our expectations become too high, but in Madden NFL 10's case, I would say that our expectations should have been met by now. We are not asking for a perfect game, just a football game with good gameplay that does not cheat you to win.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

The players all look the same at each position. It looks like blitz the League.

If you want sim, the closest thing is Madden, and it has gotten a lot better.

I cant wait for everyone to be Disappointed and come on here a cry about it.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:02 AM   #20
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer66
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
Great post. It is good to see more level headed people post in these threads. I am on the opposited end of the spectrum. I used to love playing Madden NFL games, but they got stale to me and they seemed to get worse when they switched to next-gen. Take for example, NBA 2k10. I like the game, but I loved last years version. I rarely play it. I have only played about 170 games while many other players have played 1000's.

I sometimes think that our expectations become too high, but in Madden NFL 10's case, I would say that our expectations should have been met by now. We are not asking for a perfect game, just a football game with good gameplay that does not cheat you to win.
Turf;

Practice what you preach? You said in your previous post that you were done talking about Madden, and in your next post you mention it twice?

Sorry, had to point it out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
Rookie

10yard-Fight's Arena

OVR: 15
Backbreaker might end being a good game, but i love to play videogame football with nfl players. As much as i loved the 2k series i still own APF2k8 but i don't play it because of the fact it's hard for me to get into a non nfl football game now.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 10
This game is a good fix until July. It would really help 505 if they drop the price point to $39-$49. They may lose money but this game needs exposure and many will take the risk at a lower price.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #24
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer66

I'm more interested in how the game plays, not looks. Abs on the uniforms doesn't mean it's arcade. Animated hand towels doesn't mean its sim.

The game looks like it plays a decent game. I have seen almost no clipping, sliding or glitchy type play in the vids. No real over the top tackles at all. It looks fun to me. Besides, I'll decide if I want that other "sim" game in August, not May 18th.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »