Home

Backbreaker Video: Offensive Passing Alpha Gameplay

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Video: Offensive Passing Alpha Gameplay within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
Backbreaker Video: Offensive Passing Alpha Gameplay

Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: New Backbreaker Video....Nice

Nice. Lol@ the replays being better than Madden's.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Damn, stop giving me snippets. Let me see at least a full quarter of this. And preferably one without a bunch of glowing.

From that little clip I will say that I like the QB view. I don't think playing offense will be a big issue though. I'm more concerned about the defense at this point. Regardless, I already paid off the game, so I guess I'll find out sooner or later.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

QB dropback looks clunky, otherwise I love what I see.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Backbreaker Video: Offensive Passing Alpha Gameplay

I was really excited about this game when we first got gameplay footage (i.e. developer's diary). With the first batch of IGN gameplay footage about a week ago or so, I was still sort of excited especially the 3rd person camera view. I watched it many, many, many times and each subsequent time, I was extremely pumped, ...

... my hype for this game is spiraling downhill, fast.

As I suspected:
1. DB vs WR interaction still looks very poor. The DB is completely turning his back when he really should not be doing so. What exactly was the DB/CB doing on the first play from scrimmage. Replay tells the whole story.
2. DL pass rush is off the charts, poor. They have no speed. What in the world was the defensive end (DE) doing (left side of screen)? The QB should have been blind sided; the QB should have been put out of commission on the first play from scrimmage. As I suspected, there is no legitimate pass rush in this game as it appears. DE hesitated, and wasn't even rushing the quarterback but simply engaging with the offensive OL. (First play from scrimmage). Revisit past gameplay footage and you'll notice that all sacks happen directly in the QB's field of vision. There are absolutely no weak side or strong side sacks, ever.
3. The DL rushing directly at the QB's field of vision, hesitates his step. There is absolutely no speed in these defensive lineman. (first play from scrimmage). I am going to either have to release these linesman during free agency, or tell them that they are off the squad, or do I permanently put them on the bench as bench warmers.
4. Also take note of the OL that allowed the DL to rush directly down the middle at the QB. The OL says "well, the DL got by me, I'll just let him go straight to my QB, and I'll see if I can pick up another block on another DL directly in front of me. It's fine if I let my assigned DL sack the QB. No biggie." Blocking here is definitely a problem.
5. The sole reason the OL/DL interaction looks poor is because there is a lack of aggressive pass rush. Even though blocking is an issue. Overall, blocking is not even the major problem at this point, it's the lack of aggressive pass rush. OL is programmed to block the DL. But if the DL fails to rush hard at the QB, there is no reason for the OL to do their job effectively.

I'll tell you what though, I am excited for the incomplete pass--haven't technically seen that before.

I think I must pray harder. Or do I just stop praying. My excitement has been shattered. Still looking forward to May's release though. If team NaturalMotion doesn't improve gameplay quick, this could be simply a rental or used pick-up, or if I have $50 bucks lying around for no good reason.

Advice anyone. Are things going to look brighter come next month?

Plus, apparently users over at the official Backbreaker forum are giving high praise for this video gameplay footage. If developers are only reading that forum, they are going to get the wrong idea.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 03-12-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 27

Overall it looks good.

You can see after the first play, it looks like they have the same jittery post-play camera issue that Madden has. I hate that. I realize it's not exactly a piece of cake to get a precise center-on-object calculation each time though, that's why I'm so impressed by how it was pulled off in Madden 09 and all of 2K Football.

The replays in this game look pretty solid.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Is it me or is the playbook a bit on the light end?

Short Pass, Medium Pass and Shutgun? It's all I could note, maybe it's deeper than that.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Is it me or is the playbook a bit on the light end?

Short Pass, Medium Pass and Shutgun? It's all I could note, maybe it's deeper than that.
The video seems to be on Arcade mode which only gives you those options, Pro mode gives you more options.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »