Home

EA Sports Season Opener: Football Titles

This is a discussion on EA Sports Season Opener: Football Titles within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 1
Please people, don't fall for this BS. EA does this garbage because we let them get away with telling us anything.. Don't buy the game and they will change!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 10
Very true!! ( Edwolf ) I agree; isn't funny how every year it seems like E.A knows the rite thing to say to people, they always have the perfect new pics to show, or they'll play the perfect video clip for the new Madden every year, but when you play the actual game it's the same crap from the previous year with just a few tweeks here and there. Look when will the people understand this is all to make money at the end of the day it's all about Marketing sales. why you think these Developers are all on the blogs before the new Madden is released, then you hear nothing from them for months after.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: EA Sports Season Opener: Football Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Agreed, this is one of my biggest problems with the passing game. Instead of using the percentages to limit the QB's throwing ability and thus what the user can do with the QB, it seems to bottle you into their passing percentages, which is something I abhor from a design / implementation standpoint.

Eh - I guess I'm used to it playing text sims and what not.

Maybe that's why I don't find the idea of percentages impacting things so horrid.

As long as the ratings impacting the percentages make sense on both sides of the equation, I'm cool with it. Right now, my beef is that I don't think that's the case.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
It doesn't seem like everyone is reading this article with attention to detail. Old news? Some of it may be, but there's a very interesting portion that not one of ya has mentioned yet. Actually, this is the most important part of this article.

The paragraph where they touched on percentage rates for stiff arms and highlight moves anyone? Does that paragraph not make you wonder about whats under the hood in these football titles.

Let me break it down for you. The paragraph is basically saying that there is a success rate percentage in regards to how often a stiff arm, spin, etc will work. They're saying its only supposed to work 20 something percent of the time, well what about the players actual stiff arm rating? Does it even matter what the rating is, or is it fully based on the percentages?

That would explain the weird physics in Madden. If everything is based on a percentage, then the ratings will not have a big effect ya know.

Thats why momentum doesn't really mean much in this game. If the percentages dictate that this truck move aint gonna work this time around, it doesn't matter if you're plowing ahead full speed with a bruiser RB to meet a lightweight corner back who's in a weird position, the corner is GOING to make the tackle. See what I'm saying.
Good careful analysis.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
It doesn't seem like everyone is reading this article with attention to detail. Old news? Some of it may be, but there's a very interesting portion that not one of ya has mentioned yet. Actually, this is the most important part of this article.

The paragraph where they touched on percentage rates for stiff arms and highlight moves anyone? Does that paragraph not make you wonder about whats under the hood in these football titles.

Let me break it down for you. The paragraph is basically saying that there is a success rate percentage in regards to how often a stiff arm, spin, etc will work. They're saying its only supposed to work 20 something percent of the time, well what about the players actual stiff arm rating? Does it even matter what the rating is, or is it fully based on the percentages?

That would explain the weird physics in Madden. If everything is based on a percentage, then the ratings will not have a big effect ya know.

Thats why momentum doesn't really mean much in this game. If the percentages dictate that this truck move aint gonna work this time around, it doesn't matter if you're plowing ahead full speed with a bruiser RB to meet a lightweight corner back who's in a weird position, the corner is GOING to make the tackle. See what I'm saying.

This is a great post and probably is a good look into why Madden players believe there is a "comeback code".

Figure this, you spend 3 quarters dominating the CPU and then they usually storm back with some garbage late in the game.

Well, considering you've shut them down all game long wouldn't they then have a bunch of percentages waiting to fall in their favour? The CPU being aware of these percentages would opt to use those moves with a "high chance of success" because they've not worked all game and now should work as needed.

Sure makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Not neccessarily.

(BC = Ball carrier, D = Defender)

If I make a formula that says, TRK success % = ((BC STR+ BC TRK) / 2 ) - ((D STR + D POW) / 2 * Angle Adj %)

Angle Adj % - if defender is head on 100% of D skill is used. If from the side, 50% of D is used, if from rear, 25% of D skill is used.

If BC STR and TRK is 100 and D STR and POW (hit power) is 50 and the contact is head on (100%)

((100 + 100) / 2) - ((50 + 50) / 2 * 100% )

100 - (50 * 100%)
100 - 50 = 50%

The BC would truck the defender 50% of the time.

But if the BC had 40 STR and 100 TRK and the defender was still 50's and still head on contact

((40+100) / 2) - ((50 + 50) / 2 *100%)

70 - (50 * 100)
70 - 50 = 20

The BC would truck the defender 20% of the time.

That's a big difference to go from a coin flip chance to a 1 in 5 chance, especially in a big situation like the goal line or to pick up a key 3rd down to run out the clock, etc.

If ratings don't have much impact, it has nothing to do with being percentage based, it's how the ratings are used (engine doesn't even check ratings, but mostly animations, etc) and the fact they are all packed together (not spread out enough).
Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #31
Pro

ab2c4's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTEqMETHOD
"A great emphasis is being placed on creating the most diverse and realistically executed variety of offenses that are on display every Saturday in college football."

So that means defense isn't a focus this year? I'd rather have their full effort going toward making the games feel authentic. The game has gotten very boring and dull for a title that's suppose to be based on a college sport. If they barely touched the presentation/atmosphere I'll pass on buying like I did last year.
This is exactly what I thought when I read that sentence also. Is this going to be another year of wide-open offenses and zero defense? I sure hope not. I pray to God that is not the case.

Please God, let there be good defense this year.

I also was concerned that 87% play franchise mode, so shouldn't they be putting the majority of time into making that better? Probably not, they are probably working on something online related.

Yes, as a fan of NCAA for the last 16 years........I AM GETTING FRUSTRATED! I just hope I am reading into this too much. Maybe they are putting 75% of their time into offline Dynasty mode and gameplay and just aren't mentioning it for some reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
Pro

acarrero's Arena

OVR: 10
Sounds like an other year of minor tweaks. Seriously, these games have both become roster and patch updates. The engine has been the same for 10 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »