Home

Backbreaker Hands-On Preview (Gameinformer)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Hands-On Preview (Gameinformer) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Backbreaker Hands-On Preview (Gameinformer)

Gameinformer has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"With All-Pro Football and Blitz hanging up their cleats, EA is the undisputed king of football games. That isn’t stopping Natural Motion from going for it on fourth down with Backbreaker. Armed with the Euphoria engine that has powered the impressive animations for games like Grand Theft Auto IV and The Force Unleashed, Backbreaker aims to take down the NCAA and Madden publisher with its gritty, up close and personal brand of football. To get a better sense of what this game’s about, 505 Games supplied us with a preview build."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Backbreaker Hands-On Preview (Gameinformer)

Great! Off to read it now.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #3

OVR: 34

That was a pretty rough write-up. It seems that the game is extremely shallow.

One thing that really bugged me was this comment, "Like All-Pro Football, Backbreaker lacks split-second responsiveness, so to properly juke past defenders you must activate the move well before you’re in the position to perform it."

Using the word, "lacks" gives the impression that the writer assumes a football game should allow your moves to spring out at the touch of a button. They shouldn't. While a game like Madden does give you that twitchy responsiveness, it's that very lack of momentum that often gives the game a very arcade like feel.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
That was a pretty rough write-up. It seems that the game is extremely shallow.

One thing that really bugged me was this comment, "Like All-Pro Football, Backbreaker lacks split-second responsiveness, so to properly juke past defenders you must activate the move well before you’re in the position to perform it."

Using the word, "lacks" gives the impression that the writer assumes a football game should allow your moves to spring out at the touch of a button. They shouldn't. While a game like Madden does give you that twitchy responsiveness, it's that very lack of momentum that often gives the game a very arcade like feel.
From that writeup I got the feeling that the game will be fun but won't live up to the lofty expectations of people here.

Not enough customization (height, skill ratings, etc), just missing enough little things that people will expect.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 29
Gameinformer Preview

http://gameinformer.com/games/backbr...-hands-on.aspx
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
Pro

jp7588's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Gameinformer Preview

"The skill ratings feel rather empty considering the depths to which Madden credits attributes. Each player, no matter the position, is rated in four areas – focus, agility, speed, and strength. While these ratings may be fine for creating basic skill sets, there is no way to deduce what ratings affect abilities like quarterback accuracy, zone coverage, man-to-man coverage, etc."

wat
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
Pro

jp7588's Arena

"You can edit the name and number of each player, but have no control over their skill ratings, size, or weight. The only way to get better players on your roster is to move the slider that controls how many gold tier players are on your roster."

"You can throw the ball without using focus, but I found the accuracy was severely compromised; balls flew all over the place with no rhyme or reason as to why they would be so unruly."

"How the receivers react to a pass seems to be intrinsically tied to whether or not you used the focus button to throw the ball. When I used the focus, the quarterback tended to throw the ball in a location that made it easy for the receiver to aggressively make the catch. When I didn’t use the focus throw, oftentimes the receivers would just stand there and not challenge for the ball if a defensive back was nearby. This was most evident in curl and comeback routes. The receivers also demonstrated a lack of awareness when negotiating the sidelines, and one ball ghosted right through the receiver and into the defenders hands – both problems that have plagued Madden for years. "

"The defensive zone coverages tend to sag, so your best bet for large gains is to scramble on a play that sends everybody upfield with go routes. With half the defenders playing 30 yards downfield, once you get past the line of scrimmage nothing is stopping you from making huge gains. This is compounded by the general lack of awareness in the defensive backs, who frequently stayed in coverage instead of pursuing a quarterback scrambling up the field."

"I saw several instances where the quarterback tripped on an offensive lineman before handing the ball off. I also witnessed more than one fumble where the quarterback pitched the ball into the side of the fullback when it was intended for the tailback, resulting in a frantic scramble to recover the ball. The AI hardly fared better in the passing game, with most plays ending in a sack or an incompletion after the quarterback scrambled around indecisively. My opponents’ highest completion percentage in all the games I played was around 30 percent."

"Player chatter is nonexistent, and the crowd basically sounds like a blanket of white noise, hardly reacting to big plays. Natural Motion says it’s still working on fine-tuning the crowd noise to make the stands come alive during key moments, and the music hasn’t been integrated into the on-field experience yet, which should go a long way toward livening up the field."

"The instant replay option could also use some work. In its current state, you can rewatch any play, but the camera angles are not adjustable, meaning if something happens away from your defender you can’t get a better look at it."

"I did notice there wasn’t an option for making player trades, a peculiar omission."

Totally killed my boner.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7588
"The skill ratings feel rather empty considering the depths to which Madden credits attributes. Each player, no matter the position, is rated in four areas – focus, agility, speed, and strength. While these ratings may be fine for creating basic skill sets, there is no way to deduce what ratings affect abilities like quarterback accuracy, zone coverage, man-to-man coverage, etc."

wat

I have no idea yet how the abilities will play out with Backbreaker. What I do know however, is that 99% of player's ratings in Madden mean zip, ziltch, nodda. They're simply for show and that's it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »