Home

Madden NFL 11: Dual Stick Controls Q&A (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11: Dual Stick Controls Q&A (Gamespot) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
MVP

WDOgF0reL1fe's Arena

OVR: 27
Madden NFL 11: Dual Stick Controls Q&A (Gamespot)

Gamespot has posted a Q&A session with Jason Danahy, animation director on Madden NFL 11, detailing the new dual stick controls.

Quote:
Gamespot: "Before we get into the details of how dual-stick controls work, can you explain the philosophy behind the new control system? What are you looking to accomplish? "

Jason: "We spent time looking at highlights of some the great running backs (Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, etc.), as well as game film of today’s running backs. We broke down why these guys were successful when running the ball and decided to focus in on two basic points: footwork and body control.

What we found was that a lot of these guys set defenders up with a quick plant or series of plants (breakdown). They would plant to one side and see how the defender would react to that and then decide what to do next based off of the defender...maybe a juke to the outside, maybe a spin back to the inside, or just cut and go.

They also had great control of their upper body. They knew when to try and deliver a hit to a defender and when to protect the ball and try and avoid taking a big hit. They could steer into a defender they were trying to truck, as well as turn their bodies away from defenders to not take the big shot and try to slip through a tackle or be able to fall forward to get that extra yard."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3

Follow me on Twitter yeah.
@WillSoistman
Dibs: Jennifer Aniston

"Success isn't earned, it's leased. Rent is due every damn day.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Rookie

Atomic Martian's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: New Info On Dual Stick Controls

I like it!!!!!!! what did he mean by TRUCK BONUS?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 6

The body lean looks like it would have a huge impact on getting through holes, protecting the ball, ect. I just want to see it in action to figure out its complexities. Thursday night can't come fast enough.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

THANK GOD they finally got rid of that canned "Truck Stick" animation! This means people will finally use spins and jukes instead of jamming up on the right stick everytime and having it play a "special" move for you. I think the "Truck stick" was the worst thing they added into the offensive buttons in a long time.

Sounds like they are taking a page from the FIFA and NHL playbook and going heavy on control with the analog sticks. I like this move and its about time!

Last edited by ch46647; 04-20-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

That looks sick...
But all of Madden's new addition look sick in tech demos, but fail in the game when they put it in. I'll wait to see in game first, but it has potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Martian
I like it!!!!!!! what did he mean by TRUCK BONUS?
I'm Guessing it means if you start the truck at the best possible moment(Right before impact) it enhances your probability of breaking the tackle.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

Nice. Looks like people with actual stick skills can excel, instead of cheap players.

I wonder what the Circle button does now if the spins are on the analog ?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
Nice. Looks like people with actual stick skills can excel, instead of cheap players.

I wonder what the Circle button does now if the spins are on the analog ?
It said in that article that all the buttons will remain the same from last year, there is just more incentive to use the sticks now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »