Home

Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

This is a discussion on Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360) within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
re: Tecmo Bowl Throwback Impressions (PS3 and 360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
I don't know, my kickoffs into the endzone were all touchbacks. CPU punted to me and it gave them a safety.

On the graphics, I will say I find some of the fake logos amusing and wrong. A hawk/eagle for Dallas? A shark for New England? A cow skull for Seattle? I mean, Seattle's totally known for it's western themes, right? I know they were trying to not be the NFL, but come on.
ah, okay. I didn't have the CPU get a touchback on me. Hopefully that's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
very disappointed... bombs do not exist.

jump balls do not exist.
Jump balls?
Old 04-28-2010, 08:19 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
It ain't the same game. The 80 yard bombs are gone. You can't change the colors of the teams, just the names, and it doesn't effect the field graphics. So if you change Los Angeles to Oakland, the endzone still says Los Angeles. It feels more like the PS1 version than the SNES game. There's also a nice little issue where a punt that goes into the endzone results in a safety rather than a touchback.

So... overall it's not *bad* for an 800 point game, but we're better off just playing the hacked 32 team NES roms instead.
You guys.... bombs were out of the SNES version. The NES version had the crazy jump balls all the time.

I'm pretty sure jump balls are in, I remember seeing a highlight with one.

I played a few plays and I'm very very excited. I've always wanted this, and now it's finally here!

Does anyone know if edited rosters are displayed online??

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #19
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
ah, okay. I didn't have the CPU get a touchback on me. Hopefully that's not true.

Jump balls?
Jump Ball - when a pass is overthrown, on the old version, occasionally you'd get a cutscene where both receiver and defender go up for the ball. I don't think anyone can say they don't exist yet though, they didn't happen that much.

On the safety, it was a ball that was caught in the endzone, and I stood there and got tackled. Maybe you have to push a button to kneel, not sure. Had them kick one past the endzone and it worked properly. I could've sworn the original game turned it into a touchback as soon as it crossed the line though. Maybe I'm thinking NES instead of SNES.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
You guys.... bombs were out of the SNES version. The NES version had the crazy jump balls all the time.

I'm pretty sure jump balls are in, I remember seeing a highlight with one.

I played a few plays and I'm very very excited. I've always wanted this, and now it's finally here!

Does anyone know if edited rosters are displayed online??

yes they are.. I did a test with Favre. it showed for me. but I don't know about my opponent. i'm winning 39-0
Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Rookie

ugh.. my online game didn't count.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
Rookie

update: We can not change playbooks for online play.

and I do not see an option to play 2D online?

anyone?

I thought they said we could play 2D vs 2D online
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
yes they are.. I did a test with Favre. it showed for me. but I don't know about my opponent. i'm winning 39-0
It's exactly the same game. I remember it. I played hundreds of hours of the genesis version which is very similar. It's got a bit tighter defense and overall less extremes than the NES version. It's one of the reasons why the NES version is considered superior by me: true superstars in the game. This game has pretty modest ratings everywhere. There's very few monster standouts like TSB on the NES.

Anyway, it's still got great gameplay and will be a treat to play online against others. It'll be *slightly* less extreme than the NES version in terms of big plays and wacky outcomes. They still exist, no doubt, but in smaller quantities.

Other quick questions: NG dive = in or out?

Do we have time to edit our playbook during an online match? If not, does anyone know how to edit playbooks and save them?

EDIT: Have you tried the menu option in game to edit the playbook? There's an option to do it in single player.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It's exactly the same game. I remember it. I played hundreds of hours of the genesis version which is very similar. It's got a bit tighter defense and overall less extremes than the NES version. It's one of the reasons why the NES version is considered superior by me: true superstars in the game. This game has pretty modest ratings everywhere. There's very few monster standouts like TSB on the NES.

Anyway, it's still got great gameplay and will be a treat to play online against others. It'll be *slightly* less extreme than the NES version in terms of big plays and wacky outcomes. They still exist, no doubt, but in smaller quantities.

Other quick questions: NG dive = in or out?

Do we have time to edit our playbook during an online match? If not, does anyone know how to edit playbooks and save them?
I play the NES in leagues and stuff.. but i'm really enjoying this.

the NT seems to get blocked when you try it. that's good.

I can not see a way to edit playbooks for online matches.

The option does not exist when you are playing.. and I don't see the option in settings.

EDIT: The menu option does not exist in Online play

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »