Home

NCAA Football 11 Q&A: Designer Talks Playbooks, Blocking (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 11 Q&A: Designer Talks Playbooks, Blocking (ESPN Videogames) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Pro

Lava's Arena

OVR: 49
NCAA Football 11 Q&A: Designer Talks Playbooks, Blocking (ESPN Videogames)

ESPN Videogames has posted a Q&A session with Ben Haumiller, Game Designer of NCAA Football 11.

Quote:
Jon: "You mentioned the running back reading the blocks. What adjustments have been made to option blocking?"

Ben: "We call it real assignment A.I., and if you're playing an offline game, if you're playing a CPU game, you will see the offensive line and who they are assigned to block on the play. We don't do this in the head-to-head game because you don't want to give away to your opponent where you're going. But you can see the pulling guard and where he's pulling. You can see where a combo block is being done. If you're playing somebody who switches defensive tackles around, you can see on the fly as it changes who your players are supposed to block. If you move that tackle out way wide, it adjusts where the offensive linemen need to block.

When you're running the option, it's all about leaving that play-side defensive end alone. So if you're running the triple option or a read option, it's all about reading that end and making your call. If you see that end crashing down, keep it and run that option. If he stays out wide, hand it off to the running back up the middle. It's the most authentic we've ever had the option in the game as now you really need to read the defense and the blocking schemes if you want to be successful."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / iPhone
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: NCAA Football 11 Article: Designer Talks playbooks, blocking (ESPN Videogames)

sexy
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Tim Tebow has landed!

T3B0W's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: NCAA Football 11 Article: Designer Talks playbooks, blocking (ESPN Videogames)

Quote:
No joke, "NCAA Football 11" has that wow factor, maybe for the first time since it hit this generation of consoles.
This is promising, this is what I am expecting when the game drops.

Thanks for the link.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Nice, can't wait for summer to get here. So many great games!

― Plato
Old 04-30-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
MVP

duckfever8's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NCAA Football 11 Q&A: Designer Talks Playbooks, Blocking (ESPN Videogames)

May even beat NCAA 06 on PS2 as the best NCAA ever. My expecations are sky high, as are everyone else's, so NCAA 11 better not dissapoint.
NBA-Portland Trail Blazers
NFL-Carolina Panthers
MLB-San Francisco Giants
NHL-Los Angeles Kings
Won't change this signature until Oregon wins a national championship (started 3/10/10)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 30
Another encouraging preview. Good stuff.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Rookie

FroznYogurt's Arena

OVR: 24

Building my hopes and excitement up even more! I'm starting to believe this game will deliver more and more.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm encouraged more and more every week. It looks like EA is actually focusing on the important aspects of the game this year. I'm still in a wait-and-see mode, but I like what I'm seeing. If they've improved the pass blocking and fixed the pass speed/ball trajectory, this might be the game I've been waiting for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »