Home

Madden NFL 11 Blog: Run Blocking Improvements

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Blog: Run Blocking Improvements within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 11 Blog: Run Blocking Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I also would like to know what happens when you have two guys like Ngata and Cody up there on that line.
You're so bias ...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54

Quote:
That's a concern I have. If the principles on D have not been hashed out, we could be looking at a running game in comparison to ESPN NFL 2k4.

I also would like to know what happens when you have two guys like Ngata and Cody up there on that line. If one blocker releases to the second level those guys should be able to throw the single blocker off and make the tackle. They should be very hard to move.
I'm starting to have those same concerns myself. I really hope this year isn't "All about the O."

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
That's a concern I have. If the principles on D have not been hashed out, we could be looking at a running game in comparison to ESPN NFL 2k4.

I also would like to know what happens when you have two guys like Ngata and Cody up there on that line. If one blocker releases to the second level those guys should be able to throw the single blocker off and make the tackle. They should be very hard to move.
It looked good. My concern was it sounds like these are the only runs they fixed. So, will the draw play, fb dive, and toss runs all be unchanged?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

This looks good, I mean really good. That counter where both guards pulled and got to the second level was a thing of beauty. And to actually see a fullback take a logical path in leading the runner up the field and finding a block, good stuff. But I've got a few concerns...

1. The defensive reaction time seemed a little slow, especially on that stretch video. The OLB just stands there long after the play was obvious(hopefully it's his PRC rating coming into effect). The D didn't attack at all which makes me wonder if this will hold up at higher levels, because human vs. cpu, d-linemen and backers shed run blocks like it's nothing.

2. Direct quote from the blog:

Defenders in the box now have a more deliberate reaction when they see that initial fake by the running back.

I like the way this sounds for when I may want to run play action, but I'm a little worried about how this affects my user-controlled defender. I usually contol the MLB and I've gotten pretty adept at reading plays. BUT, Madden 10 is plagued by false steps, even from user-controlled defenders. Depending on the zone I call, right after the snap, my user-controlled defender will automatically take a few steps to get me out of my gap and by the time I'm recovered, it's too late. I made a thread about it a while back:

Linebacker False Steps:
http://http://www.operationsports.co...lse-steps.html

Now, my CPU teammates, I understand, but don't take control away from me and/or make my guys dumber to make the run blocking better. I genuinely believe that the developers' hearts are in the right place though, so I'm holding out faith.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19

I was also very impressed by it as well. It looks good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Looked great, but I want to see what happens when a bad offensive line blocks a great defensive line. I also want to see th CPU running game and not just these users running the ball.

― Plato
Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 12

As long as match ups/ratings/abilities/playcall/ etc. are taken into effect (hopefully) the run game won't be overpowering. Or worse, if it becomes overpowering having the defenders just break free of blocks as soon as a runner hits the hole. I find that every bit as frustrating as linemen and fullbacks not knowing who to block. And while we're at it, work on the timing in which fullbacks hit the hole on leads. They run like a 4.1 forty through the hole.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
It looked good. My concern was it sounds like these are the only runs they fixed. So, will the draw play, fb dive, and toss runs all be unchanged?
These are not the only runs they fixed I'm sure. Draws should be a lot more effective this year. I think these are the ones that are showcased because there were huge problems with them from the fundamentals side, such as wrong blocker attempting to reach the 2nd level on the Inside, Weak Zone plays. Terrible logic on the Power O plays. I'm sure the entire run blocking was ripped out and a re-write was done for all of it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »