Home

Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 PM   #25
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 11 Run Blocking Improvements Live Chat Transcript

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
It was clearly stated in the chat that the clips were taken on All-Pro. There's no "may or may not" about it.
LOL.I went back and read it just to be sure and he does clearly state that he recorded the videos during normal gameplay and he plays on All-pro.However,I dont think this means that the defense plays silly on all pro.

He could of been using Gameplan for the CPU or some other way of picking the defensive plays he ran against.If he selected a prevent defense or some sort of deep zone drop,I wouldnt expect the defenders to be as aggressive to the ball carrier.Before someone posts about how unrealisitic that is,they have to have some way to punish people for calling stupid defenses.

In the real NFL a defense can run a deep zone and still have defenders react to whatever is happening on the field.The offenses' run play still has an advantage because defenders are not in good starting position to stop the play.Blockers are able to get into optimal position and setup good lanes for the runner.Im not sure exactly why but in Madden defenders cover way to much field to fast.So,if they allowed these plays to develop naturally,even in a deep zone defenders would still end up in position to stop the run.So to simulate a poor defensive call against a run,Madden causes defenders to react slower when a play call should give the offense an advantage.

Notice he said when you call a draw play,the defense now reacts like it would if you called a pass play.Meaning to the defenders in Madden,it is a pass play so no defenders reacting to the handoff until the runner is at least right at the line of scrimmage.Probably be like with a QB scrambling behind the line of scrimmage and the defenders dont commit until he is at the line.

This makes sense to me considering this is a video game and I would think somethings might have to be done that dont replicate real life but get the same result.

I really just came to this conclusion from what I have read and seen so far about Madden 11.It is a good chance that I have absolutely no earthly idea why defenders react the way they do in Madden 11.So if that turns out to be the case,jokes on you for believing me.If I turn out to be right,then I told you so all along! LOL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 3

I'm trying to figure out if the people bashing because of the supposed difficulty are serious or just trolling. He ran those plays just to SHOW the improvements being done, he wasn't running against any kind of defense. For goodness sakes, the whole defense is playing ZONE, you can even SEE the linebacker and safeties drop back (playing far off the LoS in the first place), of course they're going to get run over. It wasn't a real gametime situation, it was a PRESENTATION.

Plus, did you people even account for the match-ups? I mean, if you think the Jaguars D-Line is going to be able to push back the Titans O-Line, or the Redskins D-Line going to push back the Giants O-Line. Oh and remember, the olines are basically only going to be blocking the front 4 because he has the entire defense playing ZONE, this is why they drop back first.

Here, go into Madden right now, chose a running team with a strong O-line and practice against a defense with a weaker O-Line running a 4-3 zone with the coverage back off the line and tell me the same thing doesn't happen. Rookie, Pro, All Pro or even All Madden it doesn't matter. If you put the defense at a disadvantage (such as going against a strong O-Line with LBs backed back in zones) then the run will always be successful. This even goes for real football

I swear people on this board over-analyze things too much.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM   #27
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFireXXI
I'm trying to figure out if the people bashing because of the supposed difficulty are serious or just trolling. He ran those plays just to SHOW the improvements being done, he wasn't running against any kind of defense. For goodness sakes, the whole defense is playing ZONE, you can even SEE the linebacker and safeties drop back (playing far off the LoS in the first place), of course they're going to get run over. It wasn't a real gametime situation, it was a PRESENTATION.

Plus, did you people even account for the match-ups? I mean, if you think the Jaguars D-Line is going to be able to push back the Titans O-Line, or the Redskins D-Line going to push back the Giants O-Line. Oh and remember, the olines are basically only going to be blocking the front 4 because he has the entire defense playing ZONE, this is why they drop back first.

Here, go into Madden right now, chose a running team with a strong O-line and practice against a defense with a weaker O-Line running a 4-3 zone with the coverage back off the line and tell me the same thing doesn't happen. Rookie, Pro, All Pro or even All Madden it doesn't matter. If you put the defense at a disadvantage (such as going against a strong O-Line with LBs backed back in zones) then the run will always be successful. This even goes for real football

I swear people on this board over-analyze things too much.

If powering running against a weak 4 man front with lbs in zone isn't working then wouldn't there be actually something more wrong with Madden?

If the Jags front 4 is overpowering the Titan's front four, then thats not good. If the LB's are cheating on the run but designated in zone coverage, then thats not good either.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated

If powering running against a weak 4 man front with lbs in zone isn't working then wouldn't there be actually something more wrong with Madden?

If the Jags front 4 is overpowering the Titan's front four, then thats not good. If the LB's are cheating on the run but designated in zone coverage, then thats not good either.
I'm glad there's someone else here who can actually rationally see what's going on.

Wait until some videos like Lions or Bills O-Line vs Ravens D-Line with Ngata and Cody are shown vs the run with a defense actually keyed to stop the run. If their O-lines are manhandling that big defensive front and those LBs aren't running free, then yes theres a problem. I don't expect that though.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
I'm glad there's someone else here who can actually rationally see what's going on.

Wait until some videos like Lions or Bills O-Line vs Ravens D-Line with Ngata and Cody are shown vs the run with a defense actually keyed to stop the run. If their O-lines are manhandling that big defensive front and those LBs aren't running free, then yes theres a problem. I don't expect that though.
To add on to that, what about 3-4 defenses? I find it somewhat uneasy that all the videos are up against 4-3's where it is easier to designate running assignments. I dont expect improvement in that area of the game when you play against the Steelers, Ravens etc. this year.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #30
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatisback
To add on to that, what about 3-4 defenses? I find it somewhat uneasy that all the videos are up against 4-3's where it is easier to designate running assignments. I dont expect improvement in that area of the game when you play against the Steelers, Ravens etc. this year.
Well, the ea dude said Kris Jenkins would definitely overpower weak linemen. But other than that, the 3-4 is till a mystery.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 PM   #31
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Wait a minute, we're trolling now? Maybe you guys need to look at the vids again. Those guys aren't dropping back into zone coverage. They aren't doing anything. They're just standing there waiting to get blocked. Even after the running back has clearly passed the line of scrimmage, the defenders still just stand there.

To the ones saying it's because it's zone defense, are you serious? So we can't pick zone defense against the run now. I know it's not the best D against the run, but defenses do stop the run when in zone defense sometimes. Do you think great defensive teams like the Ravens are just good at guessing whether a team runs or not? That's what you all are suggesting. According to Madden if you pick a zone defense against the run, you're guys are gonna just stand there and get blocked. Get real!!

First, everyone was hollering that it was on rookie to show run blocking improvements. Then, after the guy who wrote the blog says it was on All pro, you still say it was on rookie. WTF? I think I believe the guy who did the blog over Ian. Nothing against Ian, I'm just saying that if the guy who did the blog says it was on all pro, it probably was on all pro. Now he may have tweaked some sliders or something like that, but I'm not gonna sit here, when he says he was playing on all pro, and then say well Ian says it's rookie lol.

Face it, the vid was bad, real bad for run defense. I don't care what anyone says. I trust my eyes over people's voices any day. My eyes saw that the defenders were just standing there waiting to get blocked. You can say whatever you want, but I'm willing to bet the majority of the people on these boards would agree with what I saw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 PM   #32
Banned

tlc12576's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

So I get no credit?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »