Home

Madden NFL 11 Will Include NFL's New OT Rules

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Will Include NFL's New OT Rules within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 11 Will Include NFL's New OT Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCorpZ
I thought the new OT rule was if u score a FG the other team has one last chance to score, but if u score a TD that the game was over.
You are correct... The game is over with the first OT TD... But teams are unable to win on a 1st possession field goal. If a team kicks a FG on the 1st possession after the kickoff, the other team gets a chance to match or win.

If the receiving team does NOT score on it's first possession, any score wins the game.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
The league no longer wants teams sent home in the playoffs without getting a better shot on offense. In other words, they don't want Lord Favre sitting on the bench and never getting a chance in O.T. anymore like in the NFCCG.
Actually, the reason for the rule change wasn't so both teams get a shot at offense, per se... It was changed to prohibit penalties from affecting the outcome as much when the game is on the line.

IE... After a decent return and two PI penalties to get into FG range ala the Saints.

Later
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #27
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I don't mind the new rules but I prefer the old rules. If a team lose by a FG in OT during the playoffs, oh well. Favre should of been more careful where he was throwing the ball to. He made crucial INTs in two Conference Championship game in a span of three years.

The old OT rules was called "sudden death" for a reason.
The rule wasn't changed because of mistakes by the team with possession. It was changed for teams who never got an opportunity to win, on offense, in the extra quarter.

I'm not sure theres a more anti-climatic finish than watching a battle for 60 minutes and end on a field goal in overtime.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
The rule wasn't changed because of mistakes by the team with possession. It was changed for teams who never got an opportunity to win, on offense, in the extra quarter.

I'm not sure theres a more anti-climatic finish than watching a battle for 60 minutes and end on a field goal in overtime.
I just threw Favre in the NFC Championship as an example but my point stands. If a team doesn't get a chance, oh well. If a offense never got a opportunity to win, then that's the defense fault for letting the opposing team march down the field.

I don't think a change with the new OT rule is that big of a deal nor does it require a team to adapt but I still stand on what I said.

Last edited by Phixius; 06-02-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #29
Banned

InSainn's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
For now, it only applies to the playoffs but the rule is that each team is guaranteed one possession in OT unless a TD is scored.

If the team that wins the coin toss marchs down the field for a TD, game over. If they kick a field goal, they kickoff to their opponent like normal. If the opponent scores a TD, game over...If their opponent kicks a field goal, they kickoff and the game becomes sudden death again.

The league no longer wants teams sent home in the playoffs without getting a better shot on offense. In other words, they don't want Lord Favre sitting on the bench and never getting a chance in O.T. anymore like in the NFCCG.
That's right, I did hear about that. I like it (and not for Favre's sake as I'm a Bears fan). Personally, I don't think you should ever be able to win a sudden death OT game by field goal. I would like to see OT's where field goal kicking is flat out disallowed, if a 4th down comes up you either go for it or you punt. First team to get the ball in the endzone (whether by TD or safety) wins. Imagine the nail biters that would cause. Your team has the ball, 4th and goal from the 2, can they stuff it in or will the D put up the goalline stand. I think it'd make for some really exciting (and nerve wrecking) moments.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
I just threw Favre in the NFC Championship as an example but my point stands. If a team doesn't get a chance, oh well. If a offense never got a opportunity to win, then that's the defense fault for letting the opposing team march down the field.

I don't think a change with the new OT rule is that big of a deal nor does it require a team to adapt but I still stand on what I said.
Yeah, yeah. Pretty generic response. I'm not mis-understanding what sudden death means. My beef is; it's never been proper rules for the game of football.

Sudden death is excellent for hockey, soccer, lacrosse, sports of that nature. Where possession changes aren't as drastic. While the object will be threatened to be scored a lot of times, it wont be scored too easily without a team getting it's shot on offense, barring a very quick score.

And the new rule change isn't a big deal? How isn't it? It will require an entirely different strategy. Normally you'd want the ball. You want to win that toss. Your season could depend on winning that coin toss. Now, if you win, do you choose to kick or receive? Is your defense playing well enough to be sure that they can limit the opposition to 3 points? Or should you take your offense on the field first? It will require a team to adapt. Just like any other rule change.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
Yeah, yeah. Pretty generic response. I'm not mis-understanding what sudden death means. My beef is; it's never been proper rules for the game of football.

Sudden death is excellent for hockey, soccer, lacrosse, sports of that nature. Where possession changes aren't as drastic. While the object will be threatened to be scored a lot of times, it wont be scored too easily without a team getting it's shot on offense, barring a very quick score.

And the new rule change isn't a big deal? How isn't it? It will require an entirely different strategy. Normally you'd want the ball. You want to win that toss. Your season could depend on winning that coin toss. Now, if you win, do you choose to kick or receive? Is your defense playing well enough to be sure that they can limit the opposition to 3 points? Or should you take your offense on the field first? It will require a team to adapt. Just like any other rule change.
If a team wants a shot, then the defense needs to do their job and no it's not a big deal. Nothing's change. The offense score a touchdown and the defense prevents them. You do both, you win the game. If not, try again next year.

Last edited by Phixius; 06-02-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #32
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

I have to say, you're no fun to argue with lol. Humdrum responses have turned me off from this discussion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »