Home

NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes

This is a discussion on NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes

LuGer33 has posted his thoughts on the new real time hitting physics, new faceoff system, broken sticks, and some of the new dekes available in NHL 11. He has answered a lot of questions in the thread as well.

Quote:
"You guys saw a tiny clip of this in that recently released video, and that was really only a taste of what this year's hitting engine offers. It's definitely the best that I've ever seen in a hockey game, and even though big hits were tuned up in the version I got to play last May, I still didn't see anything alarming like in NHL 07 or NHL 09 where there were way too many big hits. When someone landed a big hit, it looked and felt very real and very satisfying. One of the aspects of this area that I'm most excited about is how glances have been implemented. In years past, players could bump into each other and nothing would happen, it would be like two solid blocks colliding and the game didn't recognize this as a collision; well, that has been changed this year as slight nudges and glances will actually impact your control of the puck and player movement. I had a guy glance off a defender in the offensize zone at one point during my playtest only to then be absolutely crushed by someone else who finished a big hit. It was really a thing of beauty, and I found myself watching it on the replay again and again. Safe to say that over 8 hours of play time, I didn't see the same hit twice.

One thing I have to caution people though is don't expect NHL 11 to be a hockey version of Backbreaker. The game is using a new real time physics engine for hitting, stick on stick / stick on puck collisions, but things like skating, goal celebrations, goaltending are improved but still similar to what they have been in year's past. This is understandable because it would be very hard to turn NHL 10 into Backbreaker in the short year long development cycle, however as Littman mentioned in an interview (and he told us too), it's a 3 year plan to get the game entirely physics based just like Backbreaker, and from what I've seen so far, NHL 11 is a very darn good start."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes

Good read. So they are trying to go the back breaker route. That would be cool. Still it is looking good.

I see you changed the picture Steve.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Yep...understandable that true physic can't be just thrown together in one development cycle. I'm just glad it's underway. With it being a three year plan, you'd think it would give them a chance to do it well. Rather than halfheartedly doing the physics, and calling it a day. Great to hear their concentrating on doing something very worthwhile. And then at least supposedly sticking with it, to get it the best they can, after a three year investment of time.

Personally I'm glad their taking their time with this. Rather than risking screwing up an already excellent playing game.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yep...understandable that true physic can't be just thrown together in one development cycle. I'm just glad it's underway. With it being a three year plan, you'd think it would give them a chance to do it well. Rather than halfheartedly doing the physics, and calling it a day. Great to hear their concentrating on doing something very worthwhile. And then at least supposedly sticking with it, to get it the best they can, after a three year investment of time.

Personally I'm glad their taking their time with this. Rather than risking screwing up an already excellent playing game.
Yea, a new engine that is the foundation of a game takes years to build, like I've been trying to express about other sports games in other forums but it's good to hear that they have started something that's good enough, at this point, that it's already impressive. I look forward to this game and NBA Elite 11 which will be using the same engine.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
EA Game Changer

LuGer33's Arena

OVR: 10

Thanks for posting, Steve. I urge you guys to check out the thread on the EA Boards because Shake and Baco (Nick) and myself have answered a lot of questions over there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
Thanks for posting, Steve. I urge you guys to check out the thread on the EA Boards because Shake and Baco (Nick) and myself have answered a lot of questions over there.
can you give a link or PM me.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
can you give a link or PM me.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/45/744956.page
Old 06-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6
Littman said that this new physics engine is the first year of a 3 year plan to make the game feel realistic. They had a russian Ph.D guy working on the physics all year.

*NHL 11 cover* - I am thinking zdeno chara since this years game is all about the new physics (every hit is different) system and chara knows how to dish it out to opponents.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »