Home

NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes

This is a discussion on NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #17
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 11: Physics, Faceoffs, Broken Sticks, & New Dekes

So I'm guessing with the new faceoff system, we can FINALLY get waved out of the faceoff circle
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
So I'm guessing with the new faceoff system, we can FINALLY get waved out of the faceoff circle
i read somewhere that you can't get tossed out of a faceoff.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 12

Are the ability and the success rate of these new dekes heavly tied into a players ratings or can every player pull of these moves with the same or CLOSE to the same success rate? thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I hate to be a basher I really do but if this is true it just another case of EA half azzing something again. Come on !! Get right the first time.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I'm pretty sure it was confirmed on the EA boards by someone (Luger33?) who attended the event.
Bummer. But not a game breaker.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDKing
I hate to be a basher I really do but if this is true it just another case of EA half azzing something again. Come on !! Get right the first time.
Yeah screw all these new features!!! Just let me get thrown out of the faceoff circle.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #23
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I'll do the best I can for right now, although I don't have my 10+ pages of notes with me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
How many new dekes are there? Are there any player specific dekes? Or dekes that can only be performed be elite players?
I don't know the number of new dekes and I'm not the best stick-jockey -- nor were the tutorials for the new controls finished yet -- so I only pulled off a few of them. I think Vicodin14 of the EASHL Forum spent quite a bit of time in practice mode fooling around with them. Maybe head over there to see what he can tell you. I do know the loose puck dekes were re-worked to be quicker, more efficient and effective.

My favorite was probably the toe-drag. Playing Windsor vs. Brandon, I was streaking down the off-wing with Taylor Hall in a 1v1 situation with a d-man. I did the toe-drag deke to fake inside and beat him wide. I got a stride on him, took it back to my forehand and ripped a short-side wrister. All in one very smooth & continuous, undeniably awesome motion... unfortunately, the goalie stopped it, or it would've been one hell of a highlight.

I don't believe there are any player-specific dekes, but I do believe there are some dekes that require a high deking attribute. During one of the feedback sessions, we spent some time talking with Redshirt about the need to prevent lowly-rated guys from being able to execute the fancy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
As far as the new physics goes how did collisions with the boards looks? And if you knock someone over and they slide into the boards does their body react to the collision with the boards, or do you actually have to hit the person into the boards for their to be interaction like in NHL 10?

Thanks!!
Board interaction is part of the physics overhaul. During the opening presentation, Andy & Nate showed us many hits along the boards in which bodies were crunched in too many ways to describe -- all in accordance with real-world physics, course. I remember one particularly nasty hit from behind where we could clearly see the recipients face get mashed into the top of the bench.

I'm not sure about players sliding into the boards, as I don't recall that situation during my playing time, but it could very well be possible. I hate to say for sure since I didn't see it, but logic tells me it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
In regards to the new physics, how differently does the puck react?
It's hard for me to say right now, as they weren't where Redshirt (by his own admission) wanted them to be in the build we were playing. Just some goofy things happening from time to time -- particularly with the goalie & rebounds --as a result of the changes not being 100% implemented and polished... in short, the nature of early builds. I can say that I don't remember a lot of the bouncing puck that you can't control on flip-dumps into the corner. I know that could be frustrating -- especially when the CPU swooped in and corralled it with no problem.

In short, I didn't see anything that particularly caught my eye one way or the other. Although I did get the feel that the puck had more weight to it, but I'd have a hard time describing why.

Quote:
They mentioned subtle bumps and players getting knocked off stride. How does this feel? And is it realistic?
Is it like NHL2K10 (but hopefully not as slow)?
Didn't play 2K10, so I can't compare, but I can say that it felt very good and added a lot to the game. In fact, if I had to pick something about 11 that makes it hard to go back to 10, the player interaction/collision physics would be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Qb, are the new dekes just the four that you can do by holding the left bumper and 'flicking' each direction?

Are the old 1 on 1 'set up' and 'pull' dekes gone?

Are there any new 'set up' and 'pull dekes'?

Can you comment on how the real time physics improves these dekes?

and lastly, with the new real time physics, does this mean we will have completely real deflections, so that a puck will bounce off of something according to the angle they hit the stick(object) at?

thanks
More deke questions, eh? No, it's not just four directions. I think the controls are similar to the system in 10. If I'm interpreting your terminology correctly, yes, some of the dekes require a "set up & pull" movement, like the aforementioned toe drag.

Others, like chipping the puck in the air and jumping over a player laying on the ice -- yes, you read that correctly -- are only L1 plus a direction (up on the RS I think). Didn't execute that one over a defender myself, but they showed us some 1v1 practice action with Andy & Nate to demonstrate the deking & physics in tandem.

The defender would lay down and the puck carrier attempted to jump over him. Usually, he didn't clear the defender which resulted in the jumper hitting the ice -- all with realistic, believable interaction -- and the puck coming free. But it didn't stop there... while falling or laying on the ice, the offensive player could swing/swipe at the puck in an attempt shoot it. I think they only made contact with the puck one time in many tries and the puck went to the corner, not on the net. Nothing canned about it... real-time physics, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
Actually, no. Nobody is getting kicked out of the faceoff circle this year. I brought this up myself after seeing that you can "false start" during the opening presentation. For right now, this falls under the "don't do it if we can't do it right" category. The team was particularly concerned with how it would play out online, particularly if someone wanted to be a jerk about it. A valid point, and one they said they'll seek to address moving forward.

OK, that's all for now and I hope I answered your questions a gave a little extra for good measure.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

PS - If you guys want to quote something I said to ask a follow-up question, please chop it down to only the necessary text. It'll make things a lot easier for everyone. Thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »