Home

NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 17
Re: NHL 11 Hands-On E3 Impressions (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Please respect each other and no backhanded pot-shots, please.
Yeah.. what do you think this is an internet Forum or something?

Kidding... Thankfully this isnt GameFaqs... I would be required to donate my first child to them for making such a joke (havent been there in a few years, maybe they got better?).

Anyway... as for the goal celebrations... I just hope the AI is smart about choosing the right one for the situation.

Everyone keeps saying that the "superman" celebration is non-sim, but it can be in the right situation. I mean.. are you going to tell me that you have never seen a superman celebration in real life? It happens after OT winners ALL THE TIME... Just usually a teammate or the boards get in the way before a player is really "flying".

I really hope the triggers activate situation-specific celebrations... Like LT+Button is a mild celebration, just the Buttons is a regular one, and the RT is a more dramatic one.. that is only available on BIG goals.

Either way, the WHOLE TEAM (on the ice) must get together at some point IN EACH CELEBRATION!

I am a BIG sim guy myself and while not crazy about the celebrations idea, I am really sick of the same old stuff.. If they are comical, I will just button skip past it. Besides, this games real nemsis to the sim community is FAR WORSE...

GET RID OF STUPID EQUIPMENT IN EASHL!!!! PLEASE!

It was ridiculous to watch guys skate circles around my team all because we refused to cheat and buy equipment.

One game we lost was a 3-0 shutout... all 3 goals were scored by the other team in the same fashion... Faceoff in their zone, we win the faceoff, but their players were so fast that they would intercept the puck BEFORE IT EVEN GOT BACK TO THE DEFENSEMAN, they would zip past the D (who would be getting into position to grab the puck) and come in on a breakaway.

PLEASE GET RID OF THE CHEATING EQUIPMENT!!!

And if you use the cheating equipment, you can just shut up with any complaints elsewhere about the game being sim.

Expand on the attribute point award system. You should be rewarded for playing the game.. not paying it.

It should be noted that I have ZERO problem with games offering paid boosts for single player game, but not competative games. If FPS games can resist the temptation of that for this long.. then it makes me sick to my stomach that a sports game... something that should be so pure... is leading the way down this dangerous path.

That equipment really hurt the value of the game. I played hundreds of games on NHL 10 and it would have been A LOT more if the EASHL was wasnt such a joke.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 01:49 PM   #26
Rookie

Re: IGN Hands-On (E3) Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
User Controled Goal celebrations has me completely turned off now.

If I ever saw a guy slide head first, superman style, as a celebration ... I would personally kick his teeth in.
I bet you wouldnt if the game was over and his goal was a game winner in OT.

Plus... not sure if you are aware of this but... kicking people in the teeth with skates on makes baby Jesus cry... just sayin'

But seriously, Like I said before.. there is room for more flair in the celebrations without making it unrealistic.. Lets just hope that is the aim... I fear that it is not. But I will hold my judgment until I see and play it.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
Set to launch on SEPTEMBER 14th!? what the..

Wasnt that when last years game came out? I think it is pretty standard..

I but a lot of games on their launch days (including virtually every sports title) so I forget exactly, but a month before the regular season sounds about right to me.

But where was this info found? And why the surprise expression?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
Neither is right or wrong but you're jumping my as$, huh? So sorry for preferring a different play style than you.
Never once did I "jump your anything". I think what you read was read using your own filter.

That's why I went into the whole bit about wanting different things from sports games and neither being right or wrong. Please reread and take off the "anger glasses".

Quote:
And by the way, you're just whining. All of these things you're complaining about can either be not used, or controlled in the settings menu. If you want a sim experience online, just join a sim league. I'm sure there will be several of them on this site alone.
Although I do appreciate the lesson on how to utilize the options menu and what leagues I can join - what it was lacking in thoughtful insight it made up for in condescension and unneeded sarcasm.

With that said - maybe I am simply whining - or perhaps I see the beginnings of what ruined Madden/NCAA for me.

Things like "Celebrate with the Mascot" and whatnot. No one asked for it, no one would get away with it in real life and it was just obnoxious online.

EA has a bad track record of overdoing new "cute" features. So, I don't expect an entire library of celebrations to be less than obnoxious.

While you defend this innane addition, I'll gear up to expect seeing the Superman ice flying celebration on every glitch goal scored by the twitch-kiddies.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UwantRadie
I bet you wouldnt if the game was over and his goal was a game winner in OT.
True. OT celebrations tend to be over the top for a couple reasons:
1) After an exhausting game it's nice to win; and more importantly
2) You don't take another shift.

If you took another shift against a team with any gumption, you'd taste powdered enamel.

Quote:
Plus... not sure if you are aware of this but... kicking people in the teeth with skates on makes baby Jesus cry... just sayin'
Like I said - kick + face. I'm a bit of a Prongling goon kind of guy.

Quote:
But seriously, Like I said before.. there is room for more flair in the celebrations without making it unrealistic.. Lets just hope that is the aim... I fear that it is not. But I will hold my judgment until I see and play it.
That's my fear. EA's track record tends to make me think it'll be foolish.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #30
Pro

pf8363's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
I *DARE* an NHL player to Superman down the ice and see what happens during his next shift.

cant believe this hasnt been posted yet

- started 11/15/08
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
True. OT celebrations tend to be over the top for a couple reasons:
1) After an exhausting game it's nice to win; and more importantly
2) You don't take another shift.

If you took another shift against a team with any gumption, you'd taste powdered enamel.
Exactly. It's odd because I am a HUGE sim guy but I really feel like the game doesnt capture the excitment of scoring a goal... I think better camera angles and presentation would help this better then new celebrations, but we'll see.

Quote:
Like I said - kick + face. I'm a bit of a Prongling goon kind of guy.
Ugh... Why not act like someone will more class... like Hitler maybe?

Quote:
That's my fear. EA's track record tends to make me think it'll be foolish.
Oh I understand the fear... I got it too, but I guess for me I am a little less apprehensive just becasue I have felt the celebrations were lacking for a long time. They arent real now, so even if they arent real in NHL 11, at least they are different ones.

I will certainly learn all the celebrations and how dramatic they are and will only do ones that fit the situation.. Hopefully the AI does the same.

I will also add this... The Pro Evolution Soccer series has had in my mind the best goal replay system in recent years. We should steal that. It was very simple but effective... First a replay consisting of action angles and multiple cuts, then a replay from more of a "follow" camera, then the 3rd replay actually opened up the replay controls for you automatically. You could control everything, but the real sweet spot was that the action would start rolling in slow motion and you could just opt to only control the camera angles as you watched... So simple so elegant... One last thing.. all 3 replays had very fast and responsive "skip" buttons".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf8363

cant believe this hasnt been posted yet
Hrrrrmmm. And when was his next shift? Two days? Three days?

When does he next play this team? A month? A week? Next year?

Big difference than a simple goal where you have to take the ice in a shift or two.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »