Home

NHL 11 Video: Behind Closed Doors Interview

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: Behind Closed Doors Interview within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:07 AM   #17
Pro

JezFranco's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 11 Video: Behind Closed Doors Interview

Ooooh, like it.

At 0:40 in that video you can really see the new faceoff. The camera comes in from above the players, and when the ref releases the puck it changes to the normal view, the players are tied up, and in comes the winger and snatches the puck. Great!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:36 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yeah, the new faceoff and the user-celebrations look awesome. I like the subtle changes on the scoreboard. Was about time.

Another thing I noticed are the goalies. I like how he went down BEFORE the player took the shot, whereas in NHL 10 the goalie had this insane "reflexes". Could have been because of the cross cease pass I dunno. I definitely liked it. It looks like Goalies actively follow the puck now which means they finally get out of position.
Goalies where too strong in NHL 10. Clean wrist shots almost never got in.
Generally, I'm hoping for a bigger variation in goalscoring.

What I didn't like tho is that the player bench is still static and emotionless.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #19
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 11 Behind Closed Doors Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
The physics have? I know the hits have, but all that torquing, that can be tone down?
I'm not a Russian with a PhD in physics -- the guy who built the physics system is -- but the way I understood it was that hitting power was increased to show off the results of big collisions. So if hits were delivering more force, it would stand to reason that the players would react more violently to the hit (ie, more torque & stuff). If the power of hits was tuned normally, the force imparted on the recipient would be less. Right?

We were able to change the settings somewhat and play with ones closer to what we'll likely see in September. I didn't see the kind of collisions the hype footage is showing with any regularity and when you did plaster someone it felt very rewarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
The CPU AI tries to make the safe play 9 out of 10 times... I wouldn't mind seeing the cpu take a few more chances and stand up more at the blue line on defense but I've a feeling it has to be pretty difficult to code to make a non human AI play like a human would.
That's a very astute observation and something Redshirt and I talked about for a good while. Jim Playfair talked about "the house" during the on-ice activity -- the area from the goal to the top of the circles -- as being the area you want to get to on offense and want to protect on defense.

Too often the AI is reluctant to "try to get the house" or move the puck into that area. We agreed that the AI needs to put more of an emphasis on the house and be willing to make a risky pass or move to get there. And maybe more importantly, he seemed to have an idea of how to tackle the problem...
Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Off topic, but just how freakin' tall is Rammer and how short is that interviewer?
Was Rammer in North Carolina recently? Dude's the size of a Bigfoot!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41

*Looks at calendar and sees there is still 3 months until September*

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 18

Christ, I can't wait until Sept 7th.

5 man celebration was the nuts!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 11 Behind Closed Doors Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm not a Russian with a PhD in physics -- the guy who built the physics system is -- but the way I understood it was that hitting power was increased to show off the results of big collisions. So if hits were delivering more force, it would stand to reason that the players would react more violently to the hit (ie, more torque & stuff). If the power of hits was tuned normally, the force imparted on the recipient would be less. Right?

We were able to change the settings somewhat and play with ones closer to what we'll likely see in September. I didn't see the kind of collisions the hype footage is showing with any regularity and when you did plaster someone it felt very rewarding.

That's a very astute observation and something Redshirt and I talked about for a good while. Jim Playfair talked about "the house" during the on-ice activity -- the area from the goal to the top of the circles -- as being the area you want to get to on offense and want to protect on defense.

Too often the AI is reluctant to "try to get the house" or move the puck into that area. We agreed that the AI needs to put more of an emphasis on the house and be willing to make a risky pass or move to get there. And maybe more importantly, he seemed to have an idea of how to tackle the problem...

That does make a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining that to me comrade.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Off topic, but just how freakin' tall is Rammer and how short is that interviewer?
Was Rammer in North Carolina recently? Dude's the size of a Bigfoot!
I thought that too. But that guy had to be short, because I saw him in some other interviews and he didn't stand out that much.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »