Home

NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part 1 & II

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part 1 & II within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 17
Re: NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Saying that, I want to play it myself before judgment is passed.
I have a feeling by the time the end of this 3-year physics cycle is complete, the game will be exactly what we've been waiting for. Especially in the skating department.

Well I agree with EVERYTHING except the very last part... I have total faith in these guys but Skating has got me a tad nervous.. I mean.. Why wouldnt that be the first tier in the cycle.. I dont want to say that they are hiding from it, but I feel like they know it is going to be a BEAST to get under control, and they want to make sure everything else is in place first before setting out on it... I dont know.. Skating just has me the most worried that they will get right... though like I said. I have total faith.. these guys have given me COUNTLESS hours of joy over the last 4 years (was a NHL2K guy before NHL07).
Old 06-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 4

Hmm I really hope the hit engine is dumbed down a bit because AFTER showing THAT, how can the producer sit there and try to convince us hits are more realistic that ever. I've never seen a hit like that..What was that a 1080 flip in the air?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 9

i think some of you guys are a bit paranoid with "certain players can't do that" stuff. first off, if george parros showed up at your local rec game he'd probably dangle your face off and look like a super gretzky.

2nd of all i agree that there probably isn't enough difference in player abilities but having it too far in the other direction is way worse. how many people do you see playing with the florida panthers online? no one and if you start taking away game functions that just makes it even more lopsided. it would be like getting in a time machine and playing your friend in nhl97 and he spends the whole game passing it to lindros and flattening everyone with his people's elbow "signature" move. meanwhile you've got ray bourque on your team who's got a useless 1 footed slapper move that does nothing.

i like realism but my main goal is to have fun playing, and that doesn't include my opponent doing a 720 spin move with crosby and scoring from his knees then later i get the puck with shawn thornton and he just fumbles the puck off his stick for no reason because he's a "toughguy".
Old 06-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo
Hmm I really hope the hit engine is dumbed down a bit because AFTER showing THAT, how can the producer sit there and try to convince us hits are more realistic that ever. I've never seen a hit like that..What was that a 1080 flip in the air?
...sigh...

Hits are amped up for this demo purpose.. also.. Sticks can be broken with a specific button press to demonstate that as well...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i think some of you guys are a bit paranoid with "certain players can't do that" stuff. first off, if george parros showed up at your local rec game he'd probably dangle your face off and look like a super gretzky.

2nd of all i agree that there probably isn't enough difference in player abilities but having it too far in the other direction is way worse. how many people do you see playing with the florida panthers online? no one and if you start taking away game functions that just makes it even more lopsided. it would be like getting in a time machine and playing your friend in nhl97 and he spends the whole game passing it to lindros and flattening everyone with his people's elbow "signature" move. meanwhile you've got ray bourque on your team who's got a useless 1 footed slapper move that does nothing.

i like realism but my main goal is to have fun playing, and that doesn't include my opponent doing a 720 spin move with crosby and scoring from his knees then later i get the puck with shawn thornton and he just fumbles the puck off his stick for no reason because he's a "toughguy".
I don't agree with any of what you got there except the bit about George Parros. The right and left quick deke moves from the video looks pretty much exactly like the ones that have been in the game for the past 2 years execpt now they are easier to fire off with the button changes.

In the NHL how often do you see players doing these type of moves...not very often at all. I had the privilege of watching almost every single NHL playoff game this year and maybe seen these type moves once a game and when they occurred it was a highly skilled player attempting them. Regarding the Florida Panthers, usually when I play online I just hit the random select and pick any team as long as they don't have a trash goalie, mainly because in NHL10 like it's predecessors every team and most players feel and ultimately play the same, there isn't enough difference in ratings and abilities. Only real difference besides speed is the goalie lets in softies against the top 10 shooters in the game and some of the bigger hitters don't get shrugged off when attempting body checks.

NHL10 plays a really good game of hockey but suffers from a lack of personality. Accentuating the abilities of superstars would help move the game in the right direction. My problem is the explanations given for adding these new deke moves are "we want to give players especially those new to the game a counter to getting hit or dealing with defenders laying on the ice". Your more organic physics checking system should take care of the hitting "problem" as it should be able to more realistically simulate body contact if it's doing its job correctly, allowing puckhandlers to recover from contact not lined up correctly. If defenders laying down on the ice is such a issue, how about forcing players to stand up after a second or two of laying down, again how often do you see players down blocking shots for more than the amount of time necessary.

I'm all for adding stuff but the message has been mixed from the E3 videos. What is the dev's goal, creating the best, most realistic game of hockey or focusing the the game on making highlight reel worthy plays every game. No need to break the game just to add bullet points to the back of the box...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I'm all for adding stuff but the message has been mixed from the E3 videos. What is the dev's goal, creating the best, most realistic game of hockey or focusing the the game on making highlight reel worthy plays every game. No need to break the game just to add bullet points to the back of the box...
My thoughts exactly. And the fact everyone is saying now "it's just a demo" is a bit hopeful since they said the same things last year yet what we saw is what we got until patches and "tuners"
Old 06-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
While I am definitely more *sim* than not, I can understand the addition of this.

Too many goofs diving on the ice at ridiculous times, whereas in real life this would never happen. It's to combat this tactic.

Granted, I think they could have thought of other ways to combat this.
what will reduce guys laying on the ice in the defensive zone? answer: the ability to nullify its advantage, AKA jumping over them. You will see a drop in guys lying on the ice, and therefore little use of the jump-over after people realize it isn't nearly as effective!
Old 06-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 31

Eh simple solution, pluggers are slower doing those side to side dekes, as it is now you still lose the puck 9 out of 10 times when trying to do some crazy *** fast crap with a non super star, I'm all for seeing more seperation between the stars and 3rd/4th liners, but I've said it a few times now, its not that hard to deke. Some of you guys make pulling a nice stick move off sound like its an act of god or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »