Home

NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part 1 & II

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part 1 & II within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #25
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Eh simple solution, pluggers are slower doing those side to side dekes, as it is now you still lose the puck 9 out of 10 times when trying to do some crazy *** fast crap with a non super star, I'm all for seeing more seperation between the stars and 3rd/4th liners, but I've said it a few times now, its not that hard to deke. Some of you guys make pulling a nice stick move off sound like its an act of god or something.
No doubt, people. As long as you set the sliders so the CPU can strip of the puck...you'll lose the puck more often than not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #26
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Added part 1 to the original post, I didn't see it earlier.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I don't agree with any of what you got there except the bit about George Parros. The right and left quick deke moves from the video looks pretty much exactly like the ones that have been in the game for the past 2 years execpt now they are easier to fire off with the button changes.

In the NHL how often do you see players doing these type of moves...not very often at all. I had the privilege of watching almost every single NHL playoff game this year and maybe seen these type moves once a game and when they occurred it was a highly skilled player attempting them. Regarding the Florida Panthers, usually when I play online I just hit the random select and pick any team as long as they don't have a trash goalie, mainly because in NHL10 like it's predecessors every team and most players feel and ultimately play the same, there isn't enough difference in ratings and abilities. Only real difference besides speed is the goalie lets in softies against the top 10 shooters in the game and some of the bigger hitters don't get shrugged off when attempting body checks.

NHL10 plays a really good game of hockey but suffers from a lack of personality. Accentuating the abilities of superstars would help move the game in the right direction. My problem is the explanations given for adding these new deke moves are "we want to give players especially those new to the game a counter to getting hit or dealing with defenders laying on the ice". Your more organic physics checking system should take care of the hitting "problem" as it should be able to more realistically simulate body contact if it's doing its job correctly, allowing puckhandlers to recover from contact not lined up correctly. If defenders laying down on the ice is such a issue, how about forcing players to stand up after a second or two of laying down, again how often do you see players down blocking shots for more than the amount of time necessary.

I'm all for adding stuff but the message has been mixed from the E3 videos. What is the dev's goal, creating the best, most realistic game of hockey or focusing the the game on making highlight reel worthy plays every game. No need to break the game just to add bullet points to the back of the box...
Great post.
I totally agree.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part 1 & II

diving all over the ice is not a competitive strategy in nhl10 so unless they've made that aspect of the game worse i don't see how this flipping the puck up deke is going to be of much use. so that kind of goes along with my point of not getting all up in arms just because you saw a defensive defenseman do a move in open ice that a 10 year old hockey player could do.

i just think there are so many aspects of the game that aren't realistic like the fact that the AI is based around standing in 5 preset positions, or the lack of a neutral zone game, or the fact that a 2on1 rush is almost the same as a 5on1 in terms of how dangerous it is. my major gripe is with the goalies and how instead of trying to be portrayed realistically they're made as the great equalizer to make up for deficiencies with the rest of the game and keep the games close. there are limitations to how realistic the game can accurately represent real life and if i had the choice to play a game with 68% realism and 85% fun or 65% realism and 88% fun, i'll take the game that's more fun to play.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #29
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

I hope this doesn't turn into NHL 09 in terms of hits.... I hate seeing every hit online a big massive hit.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4

One of the few things I didn't like in the video was the one faceoff where Toews tied up whoever was taking the draw for the Kings and had the wingers come in and grab the puck. It looked like the wingers were just automatically magnetized towards the puck and it didn't look very organic. Weird. Outside of that, I liked a lot of what I saw.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0
it's quite simple to resolve the divers problem. Just add contact with goalie or teammates. This way, divers will help the other team to score because they will make contact with their goalie. I don't know if i'm wrong, but I think this year, EA adds contact with teammates but not with goalie. EA is on the good way to make his game more realistic. I'm glad to see what I see at this moment. I liked NHL 10, and i'm gonna love NHL 11
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1
One of the few things I didn't like in the video was the one faceoff where Toews tied up whoever was taking the draw for the Kings and had the wingers come in and grab the puck. It looked like the wingers were just automatically magnetized towards the puck and it didn't look very organic. Weird. Outside of that, I liked a lot of what I saw.
I noticed this too. I hope its not like if your successful at the tie up, your winger gets the puck 100% like a canned animation.

Also happy there is a 5 man celebration now, just hope there is more then one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »