Home

EA Sports MMA Hands-On Impressions (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Hands-On Impressions (Kotaku) within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
EA Sports MMA Hands-On Impressions (Kotaku)

Kotaku has posted their hands-on impressions of EA Sports MMA.

Quote:
"My biggest takeaway - a considerate defense will be your key to consistent winning. EA Sports MMA flipflops UFC Undisputed in a basic control mapping - defense in UFC is on the right analog, in MMA it's on the face buttons, specifically B or circle. Punching/kicking in UFC is a face-button control; in MMA it's a right-analog control with an execution similar to Fight Night. B (or circle) will be your best friend in a jam-up. It will automatically deny a takedown or bodyslam, regardless of stamina or attribute. It'll defeat a transition when you're on the ground. I'm not familiar with technique on a personal level yet, but transitions are when your foe gets into a posture to kick your ***, bad. At the same time, getting into one on offense is also a face-button control. You (or your opponent) will be alerted to a transition by a vibrating controller - that's when it's time to hit the block. Not to make this too comparative to UFC Undisputed but the control set made more sense to me on a button than an analog, where you can't be entirely sure you executed the move correctly."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: EA Sports MMA Hands-On Impressions (Kotaku)

Quote:
the control set made more sense to me on a button than an analog, where you can't be entirely sure you executed the move correctly."
I find this funny. This is the same complaint the people have about using the right stick to throw punches but he only mentioned it about transitions. I will be interested to see how this game comes together but I am not getting my hopes up as much as some here are.

Last edited by sb24; 06-22-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
I find this funny. This is the same complaint the people have about using the right stick to throw punches but he only mentioned it about transitions. I will be interested to see how this game comes together but I am not getting my hopes up as much as some here are.
the comment was about ufc 2010, where you sometimes don't get the transition, just because you screwed up the motion.
I really like what I saw right now and after ufc 2010 being such a disappointing experience for me, I am open for everything new.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyor
the comment was about ufc 2010, where you sometimes don't get the transition, just because you screwed up the motion.
I really like what I saw right now and after ufc 2010 being such a disappointing experience for me, I am open for everything new.
bs I have neve not gotten a transition because I screwed up the motion. I've attempted the wrong transition, like going from side control to north south instead of mount, but that was also me being lazy and not delaying and seeing what animation was starting. The only "controll" issues with undisputed's ground game are:
no lockout after attempting a reversal. So you are free to keep attempting reversals even though you missed, and no option to block a submission attempt.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyor
I see you clearly missed my point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 22

Disappointed that takedowns don't rely on attributes in this game either.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavonBrown
Disappointed that takedowns don't rely on attributes in this game either.
How could it not? So your telling me you have the same chance of taking someone down, whether they are a lightweight or Fedor? In both UFC 2010 and EA MMA?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 22

Yep. The article said if you're holding down B or Circle then you will always block the takedown no matter what the stamina or attributes of both fighters are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »