Home

Madden 11 Player Ratings: Who’s Overrated And Who’s Undervalued (Sportsgrid)

This is a discussion on Madden 11 Player Ratings: Who’s Overrated And Who’s Undervalued (Sportsgrid) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #17
Rookie

warrior7807's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden 11 Player Ratings: Who’s Overrated And Who’s Undervalued (Sportsgrid)

Sanchez overrated
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Madden 11 Player Ratings: Who’s Overrated And Who’s Undervalued (Sportsgrid)

Desean Jackson is easily the most over rated player in the game. 91 overall placing him ahead of Sidney Rice, Greg Jennings, Miles Austin, Donald Driver, Marques Colston. I dont see him better than any of those players. Maybe on athletic ability but playing receiver is so much more than that. Its about route running, which he isnt the best at. Its about catching the ball over the middle, which he doesnt do. Its about going up and getting the ball over a defender which he also doesnt do often. Jackson is purely a speed receiver that excels at screens and running down field past the defense but he doesnt get off the LOS that well and his size has hindered him from making plays over the defenders especially larger CBs.

He hasnt even had a year with 65 catches yet. Overall I would say Jackson is a huge playmaker because of his return abilities and his speed but a 91? Madden ranked him alongside Welker, Calvin, Boldin, and Ochocinco! Now ask yourselves if Jackson belongs in that group. Personally I cant put him next to Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, or Vincent Jackson but thats just me. Hes to one dimensional and disappears way to much to be one of the game top 10 (counting ties).
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
In my opinion everyone is overrated almost. Go the NBA route, or the Fifa route. If I am not mistaken the best player in the world according to Fifa is a 94 overall. Thats how Madden should be. According to Madden, Brees, Manning, and Chris Johnson can not get any better. Thats just silly. Brees has room for improvement, so does Chris Johnson. Manning is really the only one who deserves to be in the high 90's, but still he is not a 99. He should be around a 96 in my opinion and the best player in the game too.

When players are rated 99, they can't really progress much and thats just not realistic in my eyes. You can always get better at anything. MJ could have been a better dunker than he was, but he was still amazing. But there was still things he could have done that he did not.
This is more a problem of how they calculate their overall rating. Just because Brees is a 99 overall doesn't mean he has 99 throw power, 99 awareness, or 99s in all his accuracies and throw on the run ratings. He could still improve in several areas in the game (the accuracies, throw on the run, awareness, etc.), he just won't have his overall rating increase. So it might be that his actual skill ratings are pretty close, but you just don't agree with the way overall is calculated (I don't either).

Since I know they would never get rid of the overall rating or go to a grade system or whatever, I think one way to do the player rating would be to make a 99 overall QB have to have 99's in all the passing ratings, and have everyone scaled accordingly... basically like a weighted average of the skills... a simplified would be where a QB who has 95 THP, 90 ACC, and 85 AWR would be a 90 OVR.

Of course, even if they changed the overall rating, they still hand out 99's too often in the skill ratings. I mean, if a guy has 99 speed in the game, does that mean he literally is the fastest person ever? If a guy has 99 catching does that mean he would never drop a pass and couldn't be better? Shouldn't 99 pass accuracy mean a QB never misses? I know its just a video game and stuff, but when you think about it, it is probably stupid to say that somebody is a perfect tackler, or couldn't possible run faster, or jump higher or whatever. Maybe if they allowed a player to progress past 100 it would work, but that would defeat the whole purpose and would be like the amplifier in Spinal Tap that 'goes to 11.'
Old 06-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinsFan86
I think there's WAY too many Jet players on the list, let's not forget they went 8-8 last year and BARELY crept into the playoffs. Let's not all jump on the bandwagon just yet...
for christ sakes they made the AFC title game. What wasn't impressive about a win on road versus the Bengals and Chargers and up at the half versus the Colts? Plz tell me outside of Sanchez who is vastly overrated on the Jets? Revis 99, Harris 91, Scot 89, Holmes 87, Brick 91, Mangold 97, Woody 89, Moore 88, Jenkins 94 (possibly this one), Leonhard 85(possibly but only by 1 or 2 points). Im waiting
Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasfavres
Desean Jackson is easily the most over rated player in the game. 91 overall placing him ahead of Sidney Rice, Greg Jennings, Miles Austin, Donald Driver, Marques Colston. I dont see him better than any of those players. Maybe on athletic ability but playing receiver is so much more than that. Its about route running, which he isnt the best at. Its about catching the ball over the middle, which he doesnt do. Its about going up and getting the ball over a defender which he also doesnt do often. Jackson is purely a speed receiver that excels at screens and running down field past the defense but he doesnt get off the LOS that well and his size has hindered him from making plays over the defenders especially larger CBs.

He hasnt even had a year with 65 catches yet. Overall I would say Jackson is a huge playmaker because of his return abilities and his speed but a 91? Madden ranked him alongside Welker, Calvin, Boldin, and Ochocinco! Now ask yourselves if Jackson belongs in that group. Personally I cant put him next to Miles Austin, Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Hines Ward, or Vincent Jackson but thats just me. Hes to one dimensional and disappears way to much to be one of the game top 10 (counting ties).

Are you kidding?

1) He was trained by Jerry Rice, who said his route running was some of the most impressive he'd ever seen.

2) He didn't NEED 65 catches to have over a 1000/1100 yards.

3) You clearly don't watch Eagle games, or you'll know only one team has shut him down, the 2009 Cowboys. Stick to your ESPN highlights. Also, your accusation of Jackson not going over the middle or jumping for the catch is very, very wrong. Basically, he DOES do all that, but he doesn't NEED to. They have Jeremy Maclin and Jason Avant as well who are more the down and dirty WRs. However, many times I've seen DeSean go up and make a play when it wasn't there. How many times has Greg Jennings done something to make you say "WHOA! HOW'D HE DO THAT!?"...Not too many.

4) Sidney Rice came out of nowhere last year. Ocho is on the decline, a la TO. Miles Austin COULD be a one year wonder (doubt it, but I don't think he's a HOF-in-making either)...You could just as easily say all of those players are overrated as well (Well, we don't know what Austin is...but obviously not a 90+)

5) My final points. Jackson was the first player EVER to be named to the Pro Bowl at two positions. Not only that, out of every player you mentioned, he was the only one to be voted in as a starter, not an alternate. Fan vote is only 1/3, so obviously the NFL sees something in him that you don't. My last point is, the only reason you see him as one dimensional is because it works (nearly) every time. He has all the tools to succeed, hence his great stats in his short career (would have been better minus the concussion). Whether it be PR or WR, he makes it look so much easier than anyone other than Chris Johnson. It legitimately looks like everyone else is playing in slow motion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #22
Rookie

warrior7807's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4reak
for christ sakes they made the AFC title game. What wasn't impressive about a win on road versus the Bengals and Chargers and up at the half versus the Colts? Plz tell me outside of Sanchez who is vastly overrated on the Jets? Revis 99, Harris 91, Scot 89, Holmes 87, Brick 91, Mangold 97, Woody 89, Moore 88, Jenkins 94 (possibly this one), Leonhard 85(possibly but only by 1 or 2 points). Im waiting
the two you named along with sanchez are over rated. Jenkins missed what ten games? and Leonhard imo should be an 82, maybe 83. no way in hell does sanchez earn an 82 rating just because you made the Conf title game. You had the best D in the league, but that doesnt mean everybody needs that little ratings boost. i wish there was a way that madden could make the Defensive unit play better or worse together, maybe impliment a chemistry rating.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #23
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Marshawn Lynch Will Take the Jets In Madden 11

Quote:
When Buffalo Bills RB Marshawn Lynch sits down to play Madden 11, he'll look to an AFC East rival as his team of choice.
Lynch told ESPN he's so impressed with the changes the New York Jets made in the offseason, he wants to adopt them as his team in the video game.
"I'm probably not supposed to say that, but I'm excited to see what the Jets are going to do. I'm real excited.
"Now that's a team that I'm going to pick and play with on Madden. That's real talk."
The Jets added RB LaDainian Tomlinson, LB Jason Taylor, CB Antonio Cromartie and WR Santonio Holmes to a team that lost in the AFC title game last season.
Lynch has been rumored in trade talks for much of the offseason, but has remained with the Bills. He rejoined the team for OTA workouts last week.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #24
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

Chris Johnson is overrated, but not by much. He's not likely to have another big year. If you question me on this, take a look at every single running back who has ever breached 2,000 yards and then look at the year they had following it. It's a no-brainer.

I'm wondering why in the heck Wes Welker isn't in the top five wide receivers. He's the most consistent wide out in the league, hands down. Granted, it doesn't hurt when you have one of the best quarterbacks in the league throwing to you. I will venture to say that he is better than Randy Moss right now and his ratings should reflect that.

Last edited by alifeincomplete; 06-27-2010 at 03:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »