Home

Gran Turismo 5 Video: Visual Effects

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Video: Visual Effects within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Video: Visual Effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox
Great article. Unfortunately those *'s make me a little uneasy. Not interior view for 800 of the 1,000 cars? What does damage isn't necessarily applied to all races mean?
It does seem like there are still some unanswered questions about this game. I watched the Inside Sim Racing (or whatever it's called) show on the game and the dev they interviewed was pretty tight lipped on these things...which usually isn't good news in the end.

As for the interior views...I think you can still race with a cockpit view, just that only some cars will have highly detailed cockpits while the rest will be generic.

Not sure about damage, but it does seem to be minimal compared to what we've come to expect in other games. I think they walk a fine line between licensing and companies not wanting their cars to shatter into a 1000 pieces and realistic damage models.

I have to say the thing that worries me most about GT5 is that it might be spreading itself too thin. It looks like it's trying to capture a little of all the racing genres (ie: Nascar, F1, Rally, Road, Street) instead of just focusing on something and doing it really well. For instance, it looks like there will be only one oval track in the game (indy), so why bother with Nascar? That's a lot of time, money and licensing spent on something that would be better left to someone else to do fully.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #18
All Star

Aggies7's Arena

OVR: 39
Wish we could see more Nascar videos and information
Old 07-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Great article. Unfortunately those *'s make me a little uneasy. Not interior view for 800 of the 1,000 cars? What does damage isn't necessarily applied to all races mean?
I'm going to guess that damage is in races like Nascar and Rally. But its probably not as pronounced or even there in some of the other race types.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:35 AM   #20
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

I'm not exactly sure, but I think that for some car types, they were only allowed to do cosmetic and mechanical damages (things not too drastic) but for other types, they were allowed to to do whatever they want and completely wreck the thing, including also flipping the car over.

I think they had two damage models and those were the two, but I can't remember the details. It was brought up months ago.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #21
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
I'm not exactly sure, but I think that for some car types, they were only allowed to do cosmetic and mechanical damages (things not too drastic) but for other types, they were allowed to to do whatever they want and completely wreck the thing, including also flipping the car over.

I think they had two damage models and those were the two, but I can't remember the details. It was brought up months ago.
I thought I read that rollover physics are applied to all models.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 19
This looks worth the wait.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #23
LVP

BatsareBugs's Arena

Quote:
I thought I read that rollover physics are applied to all models.
Really? That's be sweet if it is, but I'm sure there's still two different damage models depending on the car.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #24
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Really? That's be sweet if it is, but I'm sure there's still two different damage models depending on the car.
I think this also....the video I saw they were tight lipped about damage, so it does seem that there will be restrictions on damage based upon the car maker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »