Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

GoMadden has posted an interview with Ian Cummings, Creative Director of Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
GoMadden: "Why was it important for the team to slow down development of Franchise and Superstar modes this year? What kind of hurdles had to be overcome that were different from previous seasons?"

Ian: "In simple terms, what we have learned by listening to our community is that people are getting bored. The data backs this up in the fact that less than 10% of our Franchise gamers even make it past year 2, and less than 3% of our Superstar users make it past year 2. As the previous design teams rushed to get Madden NFL 06 and Madden NFL 07 to market, they were forced to make the decision of using rather old technology from PS2-days to create Franchise and Superstar. So as a design team we made the decision to not make any major upgrades to this very fragile (and difficult to update) system and instead focus more on online and gameplay and dedicate people towards planning and working for the future. We have already built one of the deepest console career modes in history with NFL Head Coach 09, and we learned a lot of lessons from that product, so moving forward I am really excited with what we can accomplish once we get a solid foundation and better architecture in place."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

"In simple terms, what we have learned by listening to our community is that people are getting bored."

Yep.

Last edited by davep; 07-09-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53
Re: Madden NFL 11 Interview: Real-Time Physics and More with Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Good interview with Ian. This gives me hope that franchise mode next year is going to be much better then it was in the past. I'm looking forward to next year. I just feel that they are going to do their best to revive franchise mode and make it much better then it has ever been before. Good interview. Thanks for posting Steveo and thanks alot Ian.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut is telling me that it may not be until Madden 13 when we see the vastly improved Franchise mode. If so, that's when I'll consider buying another Madden game.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

KEY POINTS

• Madden takes an official stance on "rocket catching," and advises players to learn how to defend it (ie: it's not going anywhere, despite early concerns). This is a big topic in the Madden community.

• Whether or not future Madden games use EA's Live Broadcast technology, will depend on how well it is received, and how often it is used in games like EA MMA.

• Staggering stats back up why Madden NFL has taken a more long-term approach toward franchise and superstar mode this season.

• Ian Cummings believes most "folks" would consider a first-person camera a gimmick, however they are of course mulling over the possibility in the future pending whether or not they can work out some issues a first-person camera system brings.

• Madden 11's Madden Ultimate Team card game mode will likely be expanded further at some point in the season, although details as to what that means are slim. Signals are that gamers will get even more out of Madden Ultimate Team later on than simply what is packaged in the release.

• A rather PC response to discussion of real-time physics, however it is still the first time (that I am aware of) that Ian has openly talked about its possible inclusion in future Madden games.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
Rookie

The Yurpman's Arena

OVR: 6
I apologize if I'm getting the wrong "vibe", but essentially Ian is saying that we (the gamers) are complaining that franchise mode was lacking (hence the reason less then 10% get past year one), so instead of IMPROVING franchise/superstar mode EA just decided to forget about fixing it altogether and instead moved on to other things to work on? Boy that makes sense...

So I buy a new car and the steering doesn't work properly, hey at least in next years model the brakes will be outstanding!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yurpman
I apologize if I'm getting the wrong "vibe", but essentially Ian is saying that we (the gamers) are complaining that franchise mode was lacking (hence the reason less then 10% get past year one), so instead of IMPROVING franchise/superstar mode EA just decided to forget about fixing it altogether and instead moved on to other things to work on? Boy that makes sense...

So I buy a new car and the steering doesn't work properly, hey at least in next years model the brakes will be outstanding!
Note quite. What Ian is saying is that instead of simply making the same old small updates to franchise and superstar, they're going to uproot the system entirely and blaze a new path. To do that, they're taking a break from the mode this year, to get a head start on the new mode(s) for next year.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

My vibe from that interview is that Ian doesn't believe a real time physics engine is possible on this gen of consoles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »