Home

NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #17
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
The only way I keep it going is if they give us updated stats during the intro's. Something like "Jeff Carter is on an 8-game goal scoring streak, while Ron Ellis is struggling with a 3.08 GAA over his last 4 starts".
Stuff like that is awesome. But if it's just the same stale entry, I'd rather just pass over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonico
THIS is exactly what is needed! The same "players-sitting-down-on-the-bench"-animation in 82+games? No thank you!

Give us stats, comments and when playing playoffs, give us a short sit-rep! Who's hot, which team is in the lead, leading scorers etc...

It's not that hard!
I get what you guys are saying, and I'd personally love to see those specific kind of stats looked at during games, but I think there would be a limitation with the voice-overs from the announcers. I can see them doing something like "So-and-So is on an 8 game scoring streak, looking to keep it alive tonight against (opposing team).", but I think it would be a little more difficult to get stat voice-overs like "Starting in net tonight for Toronto is Jonas Gustavsson with a very impressive 11-1 record and a Save Percentage of .983, looking to have another stellar game today."

If it could be done, it would be very impressive, and definitely bring a huge element of realism and depth to a game like NHL 11.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #18
Canadian eh?

SinisterAlex's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
This is great news on the presentation front! Hopefully some variety will be thrown in here and there, but from what I see, it's definitely an improvement. Let's just hope it's like this across the board instead of just in pre-game.
I'm sure there will be more. The NHL team worked with the company that do the cutscenes for the golf channel, TSN, ESPN, etc. So I'm sure there is a alot more goodies in store.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Personally I prefer more content at the beginning and end of the game, not disallowed goals or overturned goals. I mean if it is a rarity it can be a nice intense moment I just don't hope it becomes a common thing.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I guess I'll be the black cloud.
The presentation looks a lot better, but I was bored by the 3rd entrance (Mtl-NYI). It's the same thing over and over.
And I wonder if the players shown in the split-screen will always be the same-handed, no matter which way they shoot. Stuff like that really bothers me. I guess I'm just incredibly anal when it comes to that.
But I have to think most baseball fans would be ticked off if they saw the same cut-scene of players warming up and seeing Albert Pujol's taking a few practice swings as a lefty.

I'd prefer a more dynamic, real-time opening to the games.
Have multiple camera angles selected randomly, show the players shooting around, warming up. Just make it seem more organic than giving us the same 4 scenes over and over.
I couldn't agree more. Maybe have there be about five different presets of how they warm up, and have around six to eight designated camera positions and they'd randomly flash through those. On-top of the new interface looking quite nice, I believe they should get new commentators or simply get a lot more dialog... I'm getting tired of hearing stuff from NHL 09.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #21
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
I get what you guys are saying, and I'd personally love to see those specific kind of stats looked at during games, but I think there would be a limitation with the voice-overs from the announcers. I can see them doing something like "So-and-So is on an 8 game scoring streak, looking to keep it alive tonight against (opposing team).", but I think it would be a little more difficult to get stat voice-overs like "Starting in net tonight for Toronto is Jonas Gustavsson with a very impressive 11-1 record and a Save Percentage of .983, looking to have another stellar game today."

If it could be done, it would be very impressive, and definitely bring a huge element of realism and depth to a game like NHL 11.

It could be done. See MLB 10 the Show...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #22
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
It could be done. See MLB 10 the Show...
Sorry, I don't have a PS3 so I can't use it as a reference. Does it actually do in-depth stats, such as batting averages and percentages with voice-overs?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
Pro

jaiman's Arena

OVR: 5

To an extent, yes it does. Overlays are all over the place. I've caught myself thinking about a certain milestone stat only to have it pop up or the announcer mention it during the broadcast.

For example. I am batting with Travis Snider from the Blue Jays. Before I get a single, I look at the in-stadium scoreboard and see that Snider is one hit away from his 100th hit of the season. Snider hits a single and sure enough, the camera pans to him at 1st and the announcer says "That is Travis Snider's 100th hit of the season. What a year he is having"...something like that anyways. I believe the same thing happened when one of the opposing pitchers got his 100th strikeout of the season.

Simply amazing. It really makes you feel like you are within the franchise. I wish this upon NHL 11...or 12
Old 07-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #24
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
Sorry, I don't have a PS3 so I can't use it as a reference. Does it actually do in-depth stats, such as batting averages and percentages with voice-overs?
MLB 2K10 does the same thing. Do yourself a favor. Go rent it and after starting a franchise, simulate into the second month of the regular season (thats when it goes from awesome to simply amazing). After this, play a game (btw, you can play any game during franchise) and prepare to have your mind blown.

It's as comprehensive as you would see on TV. Simply unbelievable. It's everything statistical presentation should be or could be even as there isn't a whole lot they could do better.

In fact...its so damn comprehensive that if I were to write down every single statistical stat I would probably fill a notebook paper with statistical tidbits.

Whats really great...

once you get past the first month of the season the stats really come to life.

I'm going to write an article about this very subject soon.

Statistical presentation of this caliber is no longer a figment of our imaginations...its being done and by multiple game designers and IMO it is really preventing EA's NHL series from becoming the series it could be.

Last edited by onlybygrace; 07-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »