Home

Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto1
I like the strategy pad I hope they do not change it.
You like SP over previous years system of hot routing and changing assignments?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 11 Video: Strategy Pad Criticisms, Letter to Ian Cummings (GoMadden)

I agree with everything he said. This is why I only do simple adjustments with the strategy pad, like shifting Dline and LB's, pressing "pass" for Dlineman to get up the field, and press or move back in coverage. So, I never have to scroll through players on D for a hot route. So, my hand starts and ends on strategy pad until start of play. So, I go outisde then in I guess.

Last edited by at23steelers; 07-29-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 10
I am very critical of Madden but this year they put the work in under the hood. In fact this year I am in the hunt the buy the game early. Everyone including myself has complained about core issues like the running game and blocking both these issues have been addressed. In terms of franchise additions I think EA made a smart choice to put that off a year to focus on the gameplay. In fact based on the demo I am in the hunt to buy the game early.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #12
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
I like the strategy pad I hope they do not change it.
Me too... I can learn to adapt pretty quickly and easily without much trouble. However, I realize that everyone is different and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. With that said, I'm always up for more options. Because the more options a game has the more people it can please. So if there is a way it patch in then I'm all for it.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
This really has become the main issue for Madden 11, and it's a legitimate concern, but I don't expect EA to admit to its poor design until later this year or maybe even until Madden 12. I can't see how you can patch it without effecting other game dynamics. It's not a take out and put in process.

In the long run, I think we'll see something along the lines of The Fonz with EA having a hard time admitting..."We were...wro....We were wrooooooooggg.....We were wrooonnnn..."
i think that is the most likely outcome. they arent going to change anything or admit the system may be less efficient before the game even hits shelves. nor would i expect a patch within the first 3 or 4 months as they dont want any bad press. mostly likely it will just be ian on twitter continuing to say stuff like get used to it or give it a chance or its not bad.

it will go the way of other stuff. like "rewind" which was hyped to no end, and now is not part of the game...

like madden IQ, which was hyped, now not a core part of the game.

etc... strat pad was just another back of the box thing... next year they likely change it and pretend it didnt happen.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
I am very critical of Madden but this year they put the work in under the hood. In fact this year I am in the hunt the buy the game early. Everyone including myself has complained about core issues like the running game and blocking both these issues have been addressed. In terms of franchise additions I think EA made a smart choice to put that off a year to focus on the gameplay. In fact based on the demo I am in the hunt to buy the game early.
i agree and i LOVE that they did this. i love that they just really worked on gameplay and the result is GREAT gameplay. my issue is i cant enjoy or appreciate the gameplay because of what to me is a poor user interface and input system...

for me, strat pad is a deal breaker. it makes me not want to play. everyday i come home, try and play a few games on the demo, and stop at halftime. im sure some will liek strat pad, for me not so much

you could have the greatest game fo all time, but if the contorls and how you input stuff is painful, its not going to be enjoyable.

why cant we have a choice of configurations? madden 2001 i can choose from 4 or 5 sets of controls. why not in madden 10
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
Pro

ThaShark28_316's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't get what was so bad about the single/double tap system EA had for us in the ps2 days.

But oh well, this is fight night round 4 all over again. A giant patch made with a different button scheme.

I hate to say it, because i love madden (love it this year), but:

Gameflow and Strategy pad, two key additions (according to EA) in this year's game = BUST.
Horns FBall
Horns BBall
Stars
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #16
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

I just don't see them patching this especially when the 'new pre-snap adjustments' in Madden 12 can be a marketable feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »