Home

Madden NFL 11 Interview with Ian Cummings (GameShark)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 11 Interview with Ian Cummings (GameShark) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21
Madden NFL 11 Interview with Ian Cummings (GameShark)

GameShark has posted an interview with Ian Cummings, Creative Director for Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
GameShark: "Can you go into some detail about the run blocking improvements? We saw holes develop at E3 we have never seen before in a Madden game? What was done to tweak this?"

Ian Cummings: "Going back to question #3, run blocking was also up there on that list. We were at this critical point where we could keep trying to cobble together delicate fixes on run blocking code that was extremely hard to tune, or decide to suck it up and spend the resources to basically scrap it and go with a new system that was built on real NFL blocking assignments (rather than a video-game version of run blocking assignments). The gameplay design team spent weeks just meeting with coaches on all the schemes and months watching film of both good and bad executions of each scheme to basically create a full design of how the AI and animation support needed to be, so that the engineers and animators could implement the feature. I’ve also attached a video that Mike Scantlebury, a gameplay designer, put together back in August of 2009 that was the first part of that design. He did some great work there to help the engineers visualize how the new rules should work when players succeeded or failed."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Banned

AirLobo23's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: GameShark: Ian Cummings Interview

Nice read. So maybe franchise highlites will be included in the extra point show since he named that as a negative for last years game?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Was the team surprised that Online Franchise mode was barely touched by the user base? Does that tell you guys that the mode itself needed to be better or that gamers just aren’t that interested in playing Franchise modes online?
Great question. First, yes, we were totally shocked. Before Madden NFL 11, we primarily made design decisions based on our own gut feel, what we heard from reviewers, and what we heard from our community. Since online franchise was always the number one requested feature (from us internally as well as from everyone else), it was a real eye-opener to see such low usage and frankly, the possibility of how disconnected we possibly could have been from the majority of our audience.
As to what the actual data tells us, well it’s a few things. We did know that our more hardcore gamers would be upset with some of the depth that wasn’t there (i.e. a realistic free agency/salary cap structure), but we felt confident that the franchise experience was deep enough out of the box (15 years, custom draft classes, online support, injuries, trades, etc.) that we could add features in the future and work iteratively on the mode over time. All those plans changed though when we saw the usage. It was no longer an effective strategy to be spending a major amount of work on a feature that was barely getting used (FWIW online franchise development is also some of the most specialized and difficult engineering in our game). I’ve heard some people put out the theory that usage was low because of the missing features, but that’s not the case in my opinion. If you think about it, the critical time for the cap and free agency is obviously in the offseason, and only a small fraction of our online franchise gamers even made it through year 1 to that phase. Are players interested in playing Franchise modes online? Well, yes, some definitely are. I know I am, as are a lot of designers on the team. But how many are there of us? I am not totally sure. What I do know is that it’s similar to the old hardcore Madden PC folks -- it’s a relatively small sect of gamers (in comparison to the big picture of Madden sales), but they are definitely the loudest group.
I for one am really curious how NCAA’s Online Dynasty numbers stack up this year, because they have an extremely rich feature-set out there with Dynasty Wire, recruiting, web-support, and the like. If they end up with big-time numbers, then we’d obviously re-evaluate our current thinking.

So franchise wasn't upgraded because not enough use it. I thought it was so important that they had a team in place to work on it for two years. And if it wasn't upgraded because not enough people are using it then why were we promised a great new franchise mode in Madden 12. It sounds like we will only get a new franchise mode in M12 if lots of people use online dynasty in ncaa.

Last edited by rooney8; 07-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
So franchise wasn't upgraded because not enough use it. I thought it was so important that they had a team in place to work on it for two years. And if it wasn't upgraded because not enough people are using it then why were we promised a great new franchise mode in Madden 12. It sounds like we will only get a new franchise mode in M12 if lots of people use online dynasty in ncaa.
ONLINE franchise man. And the thing is, unless you're part of a sports message board, can you imagine how hard it is logistically to get 31 of your closest classmates together to schedule an ONLINE franchise. The CPU would take over for any teams not user controlled, but still. And those same 31 people would have to have madden. I can't believe Ian didn't know it wasn't going to be used by most of his install base. Unless they move SINGLE PLAYER franchises online...he won't see more use. People are way too busy in many cases.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
MVP

Danimal's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
why were we promised a great new franchise mode in Madden 12.
I don't know where anyone was promised a franchise mode in M12. People are taking the posting by Phil in the way they want to hear it. All he said is they looked at it and it was going to take more then a year to fix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 17

I think what it points to is that the majority of franchise players are offline guys.....myself included. I play nothing but franchise mode, and I absolutely despise playing online.....unless I know the other guy.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
I think what it points to is that the majority of franchise players are offline guys.....myself included. I play nothing but franchise mode, and I absolutely despise playing online.....unless I know the other guy.
This. Long term I think that by trying to get people like me online though, they see more recurring revenue streams, monthly subscription fees etc... but the problem is the online experience is still crap. It's just crap. I don't know if it's that users don't play like football, or the CPU doesn't play like football, but I hate the games.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

So I have a couple of beefs with these responses (Go figure ).

First off, the online franchise comments. This is something that creates much of the angst that many folks have towards EA Tiburon. If you put a feature out there that is lacking in many areas and isn't polished, people aren't going to use it. You can't call it online "franchise" if it is missing many of the elements that make it "franchise". Many commissioners found it to be too much work to create a bunch of "house rules". Also, a lot of people believed that they would actually add those features in since Ian made a point to say that it was all server based and they could add those elements later in the year. Really? Nothing was done, not only last year, but an entire dev cycle. Zero improvement. How about a real working web site? If you are going to release a feature, complete the feature and polish it. Don't release it half-baked, then bitch that no one used it. This happens constantly in Madden. Don't believe me? Look at pro-tak and adaptive AI from last year. Both items I praised as saying they were good ideas with great potential. How much have they improved an entire year from then? Zero. Truly amazing.

I know it falls on def ears with these guys, but it would really be nice if the Madden team built on their game. Madden is made up of a bunch of decent ideas that are completely fragmented and unpolished. It is evident that the direction of the game is dictated by what can grow the revenue with minimal investment. That's why we see many small elements that are designed to take your money rather than provide significant replay value. I understand that, as it's a business and they are the only NFL game in town. However, it's alienating what was once an incredibly loyal customer base. The mentality that I get from that interview is the "we know what's best" mindset. Really?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »