Home

THQ Considering a Longer Development Cycle For Next UFC Game

This is a discussion on THQ Considering a Longer Development Cycle For Next UFC Game within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
THQ Considering a Longer Development Cycle For Next UFC Game

According to Joystiq, THQ will consider a longer development cycle for the next UFC game.

Quote:
"After reaffirming it as "still a top franchise" Farrell told the call, "What we're thinking about – not to necessarily reinvigorate it because it's a great franchise – but as I said in my prepared remarks, we're considering a longer development cycle. 15-, 18-, 21-months between releases rather than annually." That increased development time will, ostensibly, increase product quality and, with fewer releases, increase consumer demand. That combined with the UFC training and fitness game (not to mention PSP ports), Farrell assures analysts that "We think there's a lot of growth to be had with the UFC franchise over the next several years."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: THQ Considering a Longer Development Cycle For Next UFC Game

I wish that they would have made this decision after 09 was out.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah they do that......and watch 1/2 their base jump ship to EA MMA. Because without a doubt, EA has the money and people power to do it annually. THQ's problem was they got greedy and stretched themselves too thin.

Making it for the PSP was a waste of time, money and people power. I mean seriously how many people still use their PSP ? PSP isn't hot. I say nowadays maybe 1 out 10 people still rocking a PSP on a regular basis.

During the 2 year break in between games, they better do patches and roster updates or something.

Have anybody else notice that in 2010 the octagon mat don't change anymore like it did in 09 ? Remember back in 09 everytime a new UFC event was coming up, the octagon had it written everywhere ?

this year there is none of that at all.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yeah they do that......and watch 1/2 their base jump ship to EA MMA. Because without a doubt, EA has the money and people power to do it annually. THQ's problem was they got greedy and stretched themselves too thin.

Making it for the PSP was a waste of time, money and people power. I mean seriously how many people still use their PSP ? PSP isn't hot. I say nowadays maybe 1 out 10 people still rocking a PSP on a regular basis.

During the 2 year break in between games, they better do patches and roster updates or something.

Have anybody else notice that in 2010 the octagon mat don't change anymore like it did in 09 ? Remember back in 09 everytime a new UFC event was coming up, the octagon had it written everywhere ?

this year there is none of that at all.
Well I think the gamers will benefit from this though. I'd rather get one good UFC game ever 2 years rather than a forced out one. We can't be sure EA Sports will release a MMA game every year, I think it will be more of a fight night thing for EA. Also it will be interesting to see the sales figures for a more generic MMA game vs the one with the UFC tag to it.

But in the absence of a new game yeah...they should at least do roster updates.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #5

OVR: 34

It's possible that EA's MMA game could give THQ's a boost. If THQ waits until Fall 2011, that gives about a year between EA's MMA. Suppose EA MMA has high success. THQ could ride on that buzz and then introduce their UFC game (UFC still obviously the stronger brand).

What I mean by that is some would enjoy EA MMA but sort of wish they were using what is the UFC. That's when THQ can take advantage of that desire and put their game out and meet that need.

They'd have to certainly step up their game though. Right now, EA's title in its first showing looks to be running a lot smoother and more natural in its animations than UFC 2010. But I agree with MadSkillz. They tried to capitalize on the UFC brand but didn't do a good job of improving the game. This is yet another good example of how competition sometimes catches the big boys with their pants down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
l.
Half is jumping to EA?You really underestimating the strength of the UFC license.Casual fans can't tell you who is in Dream,SF,Sengoku,or Bellator.UFC has brand recognition and most of fighters that fans know that reason why Randy Couture is on the cover with the Russian guy.

UFC license is like the NFL license in game world,EA MMA can far outstrip and be a better game than UU 2010 people see UFC they pick up game.I don't think THQ stretch themselves to thin UU 2010 is fundamentally a better game than 09.THQ forgot who their audience is they made moves to make the game more accessible to casual fans when they should be making a MMA sim and autoblocking,refs standing up the fight to quick,to easy reversals and subs.This UU 2010 is better game than 2009,2009 is better mma sim than 2010.

THQ needs to focus making a MMA sim for their core audience
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

You underestimate the power of the UFC brand. Most casual MMA fans dont know more than 5-6 fighters featured in EA MMA (Couture, Fedor, Sylvia, Shamrock, maybe Overeem and Shields) and they know most of them because of the UFC. I dont see UFC fans jumping to another game just because the game is on a longer dev cycle.

Also EA MMA is on a 2yr cycle to and there is no guarantee we will get a sequel to that game.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 AM   #8

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You underestimate the power of the UFC brand. Most casual MMA fans dont know more than 5-6 fighters featured in EA MMA (Couture, Fedor, Sylvia, Shamrock, maybe Overeem and Shields) and they know most of them because of the UFC. I dont see UFC fans jumping to another game just because the game is on a longer dev cycle.

Also EA MMA is on a 2yr cycle to and there is no guarantee we will get a sequel to that game.
I think EA's brand is pretty strong too. EA Sports usually has a cart all to itself in my town's GameStop, among other types of adds. I'm already seeing a strong showing of EA MMA. Having UFC is a huge factor, but at the same time THQ did something wrong with it for them to be evaluating their development cycle and possibly changing things, and I think EA can make a dent if they put out a game with quality and depth.

It's the same thing they did with Smackdown vs Raw. Annual releases just don't hold up when not much has changed or innovation and creativity lack. I think these annual games that are seeing low sales are beginning to realize that having the power-brand isn't cutting it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »