Home

Is Madden's Gameflow a Revolution or a Gimmick?

This is a discussion on Is Madden's Gameflow a Revolution or a Gimmick? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 14
It is basically a gimmick.

1) Ask Madden/Coach existed for years.
2) On the Madden PC editor we saw that this was already kind of how playbooks worked.
3) They basically made it open to the USER.

So by definition this is more gimmick more than revolution. No real functionality added.

But that doesn't make it bad. It is a great gimmick.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Is Madden's Gameflow a Revolution or a Gimmick?

I say the gameplanning is way more revolutionary than Gameflow.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
Rookie

BoomerSooner420's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardJay
Gimmick its actually Ask Madden but differently
My thoughts exactly. Just a new way of using the random play function that has been in every ea football game.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 49

You tell me Chris. I mean, you guys gave it a 9 review score. Surely there "main new feature" isnt just a gimmick if your gonna give it a 9.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I share your feelings about it being welcomed....having more realistic play calling is a good start. I think more can be done with the Coach/player relationships and strategery (don't you miss those words America?) that goes on between plays. The challenge for Ian and co will be to make that deep area accessible enough for casual users and deep enough to satisfy hardcore football fans.
That is what I was about to jump on and talk about. I want gameplanning ala NCAA Football. It's been in there for about the last 3 iterations of that game and I believe it adds great strategy to the game, as well. I even had it on my Madden list of suggestions last year. I want the ability to have my players get aggressive and conservative in certain situations just like real coaches do.

I just got finished my first full game of the retail version of Madden 11 and I had the Chargers by the balls with my Jets but suddenly, Rivers started getting perfect with his throws. I felt helpless. I couldn't tell my CBs to get more aggressive like in NCAA nor could I have my d-line jump the snap more often to try to get to Rivers quicker. I was a bit frustrated because the end result of the drive was a touchdown. I still won the game by holding on by a 3 point lead after recovering an onside kick they tried but still, I want more control of my players and their AI levels...just like in NCAA Football with THEIR GamePlan feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Interesting for about 1 series, then subtitles and chatter becomes annoying. Great concept, but as has been stated before, glorified Ask Madden.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #23
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

I definitely don't mind the new gameplan feature and normally the computer calls the correct play except for the occasional four verticals within your opponent's five yard line, however, this feature is not a revolution rather it's a long awaited evolution of ask madden. In my mind, if this feature was in Madden 07 I wouldn't have been surprised or thought of it as a revolution in the way madden would be played. Locomotion and dual stick control are more of a revolutionary feature because it takes madden to a new level of realism and lays a foundation for future madden installments. Yet I don't think gameplanning is a gimmick because the feature is has value to both casual gamers and serious gamers. Serious gamers can really tweak with their gameplans to come up with a gameplan which mirrors that of their favorite teams IRL. So I'd say gameplanning is an evolution, which could of have been implemented far sooner given it's efficient and effective nature.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think its great, because of its impact on the CPU playcalling.

First, on default, try playing a running team like the Panthers. They really do run the ball down your throat, the entire game. This is attributable to their gameflow.

Second, we can alter opposing teams plans to take out crazy stupid plays, such as CB blitzes.

That being said, I have not used it for my own playcalling, although I plan to try it out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »