Home

EA Sports MMA Video: Lashley vs. Overeem

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA Video: Lashley vs. Overeem within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch masta
i'll buy this along with UFC because im a true mma fan.I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and i see the realism of the transitions and opposed to UFC.UFC doesn't have the closed guard,and the triangle leg trap.The strikes stand up,and cage play look bad on this. im not sure about the controls.UFC has the cuts appear too soon.They are good games but they lack a few of the important things,i love the UFC.
i meant as opposed to the UFC.(second sentence)
Old 08-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18
I am excited about this version of MMA. It looks much more fluid than UFC
Old 08-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: EA Sports MMA Video: Lashley vs. Overeem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck
Every fight in UFC 2010 ended in a bloodbath because it was a KO fest.

As for the video:

I'm very impressed. I think it looks great. My only complaint is that the same reversal gets used WAY too often. It's not that often that a guy on the bottom performs a complete reversal, and when he does, it doesn't look like that. It's like he sits up and flips him around. That move is much harder to do in real life than this video would make you believe. Other than that, it's looking great.
I agree with your complaint; I also think that there should be more varied anims for takedowns, UFC 2010 did a good job with that.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Looking very good. I'll hold off on any comments about reversals because there's probably a lot more that hasn't been shown yet. At least I'm hoping...
Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
I dont like how the reversals on the ground all look the same and end up with the bottom guy basically picking up the top guy and throwing him on his back. How often do you actually see that in a real MMA fight? At one point, the guy playing as Overeem just falls down into guard because he knows he can reverse Lashley right away which he does. Way too many ground reversals.

And i dont like that takedowns are either hit or miss meaning youre either going to complete it and take the guy down or miss. There doesnt seem to be much of an in between where you can block but still be in a clinch fighting for the takedown. There was one moment around 2:35 where Lashley blocked the takedown and they stayed in the clinch but that was a takedown attempt that was done when they were already in the clinch, not just standing seperated from one another. Every gameplay video ive seen the guy attempting the takedown either completes it or if the opponent times it perfect they can land a strike like Lashley does once in this vid.

This game just looks like a button masher. It looks really dumbed down. The entire fight was takedowns when they were standing and ground reversals when they were on the ground. The striking looked bad, the takedowns looked bad, the complete ground reversal looked bad and way too easy so i think this game will get boring really fast. The only things i really liked were the player models and the ground transitions when guys were trying to pass guard. And i do like the way EA's submission system looks compared to UFC's shine. I HATE THE SHINE!

There doesnt appear to really be any strategy whatsoever in the fights, just mash the buttons, take the guy down and reverse if he takes you down. I also dont understand how the last line reads the pace feels far more authentic than UFC. At least with UFC you can strike with one another and not just get taken down so easily. I think the pace of the ground game appears to be better but that gets canceled out by how easy it appears to be to reverse on the ground. At least with UFC the guys get tired, you can stand up and strike longer, its not just a takedown-fest, ground reversals arent so easy and there is some strategy involved.

I'll still prob give this game a try because i love MMA but this game looks arcadish to me.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 08-22-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 AM   #22

OVR: 34

Good points, but really..how do you make an MMA game and it not be a button masher? I would imagine that the hardest thing to do is map the buttons to incorporate all the moves.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #23
MVP

Greene_Flash03's Arena

OVR: 27

Looks really impressive and authentic!

Just clean up the punches and kicks then it's all good!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #24
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
I dont like how the reversals on the ground all look the same and end up with the bottom guy basically picking up the top guy and throwing him on his back. How often do you actually see that in a real MMA fight? At one point, the guy playing as Overeem just falls down into guard because he knows he can reverse Lashley right away which he does. Way too many ground reversals.

And i dont like that takedowns are either hit or miss meaning youre either going to complete it and take the guy down or miss. There doesnt seem to be much of an in between where you can block but still be in a clinch fighting for the takedown. There was one moment around 2:35 where Lashley blocked the takedown and they stayed in the clinch but that was a takedown attempt that was done when they were already in the clinch, not just standing seperated from one another. Every gameplay video ive seen the guy attempting the takedown either completes it or if the opponent times it perfect they can land a strike like Lashley does once in this vid.

This game just looks like a button masher. It looks really dumbed down. The entire fight was takedowns when they were standing and ground reversals when they were on the ground. The striking looked bad, the takedowns looked bad, the complete ground reversal looked bad and way too easy so i think this game will get boring really fast. The only things i really liked were the player models and the ground transitions when guys were trying to pass guard. And i do like the way EA's submission system looks compared to UFC's shine. I HATE THE SHINE!

There doesnt appear to really be any strategy whatsoever in the fights, just mash the buttons, take the guy down and reverse if he takes you down. I also dont understand how the last line reads the pace feels far more authentic than UFC. At least with UFC you can strike with one another and not just get taken down so easily. I think the pace of the ground game appears to be better but that gets canceled out by how easy it appears to be to reverse on the ground. At least with UFC the guys get tired, you can stand up and strike longer, its not just a takedown-fest, ground reversals arent so easy and there is some strategy involved.

I'll still prob give this game a try because i love MMA but this game looks arcadish to me.
agree 100%.

I'm not sure why people have so drastically changed their stance on how the game looks, because there has been zero improvement to the strikes since the first video from what I've seen AND on top of that seeing sustained gameplay has actually taken AWAY from original opinion of takedowns and the ground game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »