Home

NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review

This is a discussion on NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review

2K Sports made one of the more interesting decisions this past offseason by shelving the 360 and PS3 versions of their NHL series but also keeping the Wii version on the release schedule. While there has not been any official confirmation, Take Two CEO Ben Feder has indicated that NHL 2K12 will find its way to the 360 and PS3.

But for now, 2K hockey fans have NHL 2K11 on the Wii.

NHL 2K11 attempts to improve the controls and the overall experience of last year's Wii version. The game features a plethora of modes, although veterans of the series will instantly recognize most of the offerings here. While the game is far from good, it does offer the only attempt at a "true" hockey simulation experience on the Wii and might satisfy some puckheads who do not have access to a 360 or a PS3.

Read More - NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review
Platform: iPhone / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 16
Sorry to say this but this is one of the most terrible reviews I have seen on OS. Sorry to say that but the game is by far not 2.5 points below its predecessor, never. Even if this review was for the xbox version, it doesn't change the fact, that the game plays a better game of hockey than 2k10. It's not only me that is saying this but nearly everyone who has played this game, even other reviewers will attest that the game plays better. Not by a mile, but better. Given this fact, I can't understand while gameplay being a positive remark on 2k10 now can be a negative one. There was NO engine change.
You might say, okay the game doesn't change much so it will get a lower score than 2k10. Thats totally fine, but 2.5 points, come on!
I didn't like both games, however I played them both and while I think both games should get a 6-6.5, I really don't like them that much. It is not that I am a fanboy or a 2k diehard. It is just the inconsistency of the review quality that concerns me here. On a few occasions now, reviews here seem sub-bar standard at best.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyor
Sorry to say this but this is one of the most terrible reviews I have seen on OS. Sorry to say that but the game is by far not 2.5 points below its predecessor, never. Even if this review was for the xbox version, it doesn't change the fact, that the game plays a better game of hockey than 2k10. It's not only me that is saying this but nearly everyone who has played this game, even other reviewers will attest that the game plays better. Not by a mile, but better. Given this fact, I can't understand while gameplay being a positive remark on 2k10 now can be a negative one. There was NO engine change.
You might say, okay the game doesn't change much so it will get a lower score than 2k10. Thats totally fine, but 2.5 points, come on!
I didn't like both games, however I played them both and while I think both games should get a 6-6.5, I really don't like them that much. It is not that I am a fanboy or a 2k diehard. It is just the inconsistency of the review quality that concerns me here. On a few occasions now, reviews here seem sub-bar standard at best.
I don't recall OS having posted a review of NHL 2K10 on the Wii? This game isn't the same game as the 360 version, and in a lot of ways, doesn't even play the same. Mainly though, when you have a package which is almost completely recycled off a game I think was a 6-ish kind of game and whatever new was added doesn't work at all, you end up with a game that's not all that good. Add in the gameplay faults such as the plethora of guaranteed goals, a franchise mode which is subpar, online play which doesn't work, and a control scheme which is shoddy at best, I don't see much to like with the whole package.

Sorry you disagree with the score, I can't wait until we get rid of them -- coming sooner than you think I might add. But I stand by the fact this game is simply below average to just plain bad.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Rookie

I mostly agree what you were saying, however the problem is not the score in general, it is the overal inconsistency with the other ratings of former 2k hockey games. In some developer insight back in the day they mentioned that it was the same engine than the xbox360/ps3 game. No matter how you turn it, the game overall is a disappointment, but better than 2k10.
When you would do the same with nhl11, it would also only get a 6-7 just because the innovations done don't justify the price tag.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3
You guys didn`t get it. The score is 4.5 out of 5. It`s like scoring A in math test
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VUUAASSHHH!
You guys didn`t get it. The score is 4.5 out of 5. It`s like scoring A in math test
The score is 4.5 out of 10. Did you even read the review?
Old 09-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWalk
The score is 4.5 out of 10. Did you even read the review?
Of course I read it, 5 times, for maximum retention.

now get over here and gimme a
.... _/\_......_/\_
......... Basketball is life
Old 09-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
MVP

Keirik's Arena

Re: NHL 2K11 (Wii) Review

as someone who has owned and played every 2k hockey game since 2k3, i 100% agree with this review. That says something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »