Home

NHL 11: A Game Harder Than Its Hardcore Fans (Kotaku)

This is a discussion on NHL 11: A Game Harder Than Its Hardcore Fans (Kotaku) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NHL 11: A Game Harder Than Its Hardcore Fans (Kotaku)

Heh, I used to play 2k hockey. You want to talk about a thick manual and a lot of controls.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
The controls are definitely intuitive, to us video game players. But to someone who's not familiar with the 360 or PS3 controller, it exponentially increases the learner curve. That's why his friend was able to pick up the Wii hockey stick and be successful instantly. The Wii controller is less abstract when it comes to replicating specific motions, so new-comers can literally "pick up and play".
I agree with this 100%. The controls are certainly fine for anyone who plays video games and is used to a PS3 or 360 controller. For someone who doesn't play games I'm sure any quicker paced game on the market would be difficult for them for a while even if they can memorize the commands because pressing the buttons won't be second nature. It's like looking at a computer keyboard for the first time and expecting pound out 50+ words a minute instead of hunting and pecking.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:34 AM   #19
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I must admit, I don't use many of the control options that are now available. And I suffer the consequences of it.

I like to have my settings in NHL were it's pretty challenging for me, and with that...things happen fast. Most times I'm dang lucky just to get a decent shot off, or somehow poke check the on rushing player.

The answer to my problems is easy...I need to take the time to get to know all the controls, instead of just enough to barely get by. And I also need to spend some time in practice mode. Honestly...I'm pretty terrible at NHL. The main reasons are...my reaction speed is slow, and my lack of knowledge of the controls.

The reason I sux is because of me...not because the game is too complex. I've either been in too much of a hurry just to play, or an unwillingness to spend the time I should in practice mode.

Personally, I love the fact that with games like "The Show", FIFA, and NHL...to be decent at them, you need to understand the sport they represent...and you'll possibly need to practice to hone your skills. Imo, this is how a simulation game should be. But of course also providing easier gaming levels for the less dedicated. To me...generally "dumbing down" games for the sake of the casual User is ridiculous.

A far as the... "Harder than the "Hardcore fans", no, I don't believe that. It's my guess the truly dedicated [hardcore] gamers enjoy being challenged by ever increasing complex games. jmo.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #20
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I must admit, I don't use many of the control options that are now available. And I suffer the consequences of it.

I like to have my settings in NHL were it's pretty challenging for me, and with that...things happen fast. Most times I'm dang lucky just to get a decent shot off, or somehow poke check the on rushing player.

The answer to my problems is easy...I need to take the time to get to know all the controls, instead of just enough to barely get by. And I also need to spend some time in practice mode. Honestly...I'm pretty terrible at NHL. The main reasons are...my reaction speed is slow, and my lack of knowledge of the controls.

The reason I sux is because of me...not because the game is too complex. I've either been in too much of a hurry just to play, or an unwillingness to spend the time I should in practice mode.

Personally, I love the fact that with games like "The Show", FIFA, and NHL...to be decent at them, you need to understand the sport they represent...and you'll possibly need to practice to hone your skills. Imo, this is how a simulation game should be. But of course also providing easier gaming levels for the less dedicated. To me...generally "dumbing down" games for the sake of the casual User is ridiculous.

A far as the... "Harder than the "Hardcore fans", no, I don't believe that. It's my guess the truly dedicated [hardcore] gamers enjoy being challenged by ever increasing complex games. jmo.
I did the same thing with The Show when it comes to controls. Finally got around to learning them and I got a lot better.

I need to watch more hockey this year, I love watching it, but just never find the time to do so. Watching soccer definitely has helped me learn how to play fifa better. Couldn't hurt to do the same to help me with this game.

Last edited by TracerBullet; 09-13-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #21
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
I think anyone can shoot, pass and check in NHL 11. Beginners can do those 3 tasks and learn the rest as time goes on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #22
Pro

OVR: 22
Articles like Kotaku is what stops publishers from going all out sim. I think going for more SIM we have to invest more time, and once we are into it, we get addicted. To me NHL11 is awesome, and been a 2K head when that series was SIM so I truly appreciate it.

And btw, why not classic controls? 2K8 got slaughtered with their controls, but if you really got into it, there were TOTAL CONTROL of the players. But that may be a bit over the top, but EAs game isnīt nowhere near as complex to a rookie NHL gamer, so I donīt get it.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 AM   #23
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31

Feeling a bit sheepish since I'm in here with the major NHL players but here goes...

I've played NHL games for years...my favorites are NHL 98 on PS1 and NHL 09 on 360. I used the shot stick on 09, btw. I really love that!

So, is NHL 11 that much tougher or more complicated than NHL09? I skipped NHL 10.

I'm interested in the game, but I'm an NFL guy and play NHL games more 'casually'. I'm not ignorant to hockey or how it's played and I'm a good sports gamer (love The Show and 2k basketball as well).

Thanks fellas!

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"
Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 32
The controls in NHL 11 are perfect. I would not change them. There is an option to play with classic controls so I do not think anyone should complain the controls are too difficult.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »