Home

NBA Elite 11 Defensive Blog

This is a discussion on NBA Elite 11 Defensive Blog within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Pro

Haval93's Arena

OVR: 13
NBA Elite 11 Defensive Blog

EA Sports have posted a new NBA Elite 11 defensive blog.

Quote:
"This year we’ve spoken a lot about “Hands-On Control” and how it relates to shooting, dribbling and Post Play but we haven’t given you a ton of info on defense in NBA ELITE 11. Our goals for defense this year were simple:

- Ensure “Hands-On Control” applied to defense just as much as offense.
- Reward defenders for good positioning using the new Real Physics system
- Provide the user the tools to be proactive on defense.
- And most importantly - making defense fun to play.

Mistakes of the past – In previous basketball games there have been many gimmicks and features that allowed you to guard the ball but took the control completely out of your hands. Features like the “hold a button down and let the AI play defense for you”. Or, using 2 player animations as a crutch to stop the dribbler from getting to the basket – taking control away from both the offense and defense. Features like this aren’t fun, remove any element of skill from the game and limit the user’s ability to control the player. All reasons for a new approach to playing defense.

On Ball Defense – the most important aspect of defense is guarding the ball. This year we’ve developed a great system for dribbling the ball using a combination of the left and right analog sticks. This gives the offensive player the ability to pull off any type of dribble move, at any time, in any direction, while always maintaining user control. It’s a very powerful game play mechanic that could have been very unbalanced had we not put the same emphasis on guarding the ball."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
MVP

BiggD's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: New blog: Defensive Blog

Wow.....i wonder if that is one of those weekly blogs we were suppose to get like 8 weeks ago.

Honestly,this late in the game a BLOG doesn't mean squat..we should be seeing the game in action!!!!
3.Blake Griffin
4.Ben Wallace
5.Shawn Kemp
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

Nothing new in this blog that rEAnimator hasn't let us in on over the last couple months.

I look forward to getting the demo and trying out this dual analog control scheme. I like the logic for having the defender's hand tracking the ball on steal and block attempts (and using ratings to determine how well they do it). Eliminates ball warping. It's also nice that steal attempts don't take you out of position or keep you flat footed. Using your body position relative to the ball handler and using the logical hand to attempt the steal is one of those little things I think people will appreciate while playing Elite.

Blackflash said on twitter that he has gotten PS3 approval but not 360 approval (re: demo information). My assumption is either tonight or tomorrow we'll know when the demo drops. The 21st looks like a safe bet IMO.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Meh, I think its gotten too late for blogs like this. Start getting to presentation, franchise, online...etc
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

Too little too late with the white flag blogs. Werent they promising a blog a week, and only 1 of those ever showed up weeks ago?
Meh, wheres more vids at and not the 1 minute cherry-picked vid of a defender getting pumped faked 15ft in the air and able to recover on the play? Guess I'll read it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dounte/MLBNFLNBALGS
I'd be the first to call myself a hypocrite.
Current Rotation: -/-
"Just know no matter who you are, the right system could turn a role player to a superstar." - Joe Budden
All Pro Football 2K8 Uniform Codes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Nice blog glad to see all the defensive controls got just as much of an upgrade as the offense. Defensive controls have been sorely needed in the Live series for years so its good to see they are in this year.

Only question now is how user friendly are and more importantly how effective they are at stopping the offensive player. The amount of control does sound great though I can't wait to try all this out in the demo..
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
MVP

coolcras7's Arena

OVR: 9

we already know all this information, I don't know what to say anymore.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

Late blog, but i think its purpose serves more as a blog for those who don't know how to play defense once the demo comes around. No one can really complain that there's no defense in the demo because they put out a blog on how to play it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »