Home

FIFA Soccer 11 Review

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 11 Review within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
FIFA Soccer 11 Review

While Madden pitched the idea of "simpler, quicker, deeper" in an attempt to broaden its appeal, the other recent EA Sports games appear to be heading in the opposite direction. NHL featured some significant changes, but many were probably overlooked by less than "hardcore" fans. Likewise, FIFA 11 is improved, but the refinements here are aimed at creating an authentic experience rather than enhancing accessibility. As such, FIFA 11 is a great representation of soccer, and the changes have made the game much more strategic, taut and rewarding. However, these changes definitely do not make the game easier.

Read More - FIFA Soccer 11 Review

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / NDS / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
I totally agree with you about the tackling. The standing tackle takes the ball away the vast majority of the time now matter how good at tackling your opponent is. You combine that with the fact that teams can pressure you for an entire game and not see a stamina decrease makes it very difficult to create through the middle even with top playmakers(Xavi, Sneijder, Fabregas). I hope either through a patch or next years fifa they correct these two issues that have plagued the series for years.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Is Ultimate Team really free? I could have sworn you got only a few games as a "trial" then had to pay for it....

I really dig FIFA this year, but totally agree with your assessment about the tackling.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
addy...I'm not sure if it will be free this year or not (that was an editors change and he probably knows more than me!)

It wasn't free last year, for sure. It was free in Madden and NHL. Well, as "free" as something so heavy on micro-transactions can be.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Rookie

milin's Arena

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadron supreme
I totally agree with you about the tackling. The standing tackle takes the ball away the vast majority of the time now matter how good at tackling your opponent is. You combine that with the fact that teams can pressure you for an entire game and not see a stamina decrease makes it very difficult to create through the middle even with top playmakers(Xavi, Sneijder, Fabregas). I hope either through a patch or next years fifa they correct these two issues that have plagued the series for years.
Those are the things why I didn't buy FIFA this year. They're dealbreakers for me, and that's why the game feels the same to me since 09, because they haven't fixed that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: FIFA Soccer 11 Review

It's harder but not less accessible.

Madden says it made it simpler. But in reality it just stripped away playcalling because if you know nothing about football plays, football is a tough game.

EA has a two or one button football mode. That I addresses this complaint.

Just because the difficulty is upped doesn't mean it's harder to access the game. You can still put together some beautiful goals on Pro and World Class.

I think this complaint is a bit off base because most of the soccer world knows and understands soccer as it's a huge part of their lives. As for FIFA, you don't need to pull off any special moves, though it helps considerably. (I don't do them.) I know the reviewer isn't asking for dumbed down game but that's how it comes off. FIFA is probably the most accessible game out of the EA line up. And the difficulty is nice to see when, if you follow FIFA, the ease of World Class and Legendary has been a complaint for the last few iterations.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Staff Writer

OVR: 12
JRod,

Sorry if it seems like I'm asking for the game to be "dumbed down;" not my intent. I think that for most, it will be ok., especially if you are familiar with the franchise. Things like interactive tutorials and in-game handbooks would help those unfamiliar with the game ease into it. I think, too, that because it is harder, the uninitiated will be quicker to bail on the game.

Hope that clarifies things a bit.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
addy...I'm not sure if it will be free this year or not (that was an editors change and he probably knows more than me!)

It wasn't free last year, for sure. It was free in Madden and NHL. Well, as "free" as something so heavy on micro-transactions can be.
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-11-ultimate-team-free/

Boom.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »