Home

NBA 2K11 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K11 Review within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 16
Let's hold the applause.

Have you actually played a human. Cherry picking is back. How many times are they going to release a game with this cheat.

Playing the AI offline. It's nice. Stepping out into the real world. Not so nice. You might want to play a few humans before you decide how great a game is.

The dribbling system does not represent the NBA. . Basketball is a game of quickness, ball movement, and the ability to use your dribble or first step.

Quickness:
This game feels like one of the old NBA LIve's in regards to player movement. Sluggish. 2k9ish.

They didn't make it more sim. They just made the game slower.

In the NBA you can make a move left or right even if you don't have the space. You do not go into a frenzy bumping into your man outside the paint. In the NBA. That's called a foul. Reminds me of 2k9 again. .

They have continued to slow down the speed of the game since 2k8. It's a mistake.
I'm seeing things that I have to wait for to react to. So much for quickness .

Ball Movement.
Running a play still takes forever. At least online the play selection comes up whenever I want it to.

Offline the play option does not come up every time you call for it. You have to pass the ball then pass it back to your PG and hopefully this time when you hit the pad your play option will appear.

Passing is terrible. I swear there is a delay but it's not. The game is just sluggish.

First Step/Dribbling.

You barely want to touch the stick because any move will result in two or three steps towards a certain direction I don't want after the pause.Lord help you on defense. We used to call this skating . Every year it seems as though I have less and less control over my man.

2k8 had the best control. No skating. 2k10 was an improvement over 2k9 which introduced sluggish skating players to the 2k series.

Now we are back to 2k9 levels of control. You mentioned it in your review.

"My one qualm with dribbling moves is the effectiveness of the step-back dribble. The move often creates so much space that you can essentially go from around the charity stripe to the 3-point line in an instance "

That's happens because you have no control. I have used the step back move and I don't want to back up that far. Yet I'm watching my man skating and doing whatever animation I'm locked in until the animation finishes.

"My player could be fun."

The entire game could be more fun. They have slowed the game down to the point I no longer feel the speed of the NBA. I played with the Wizards while my friend played with the Bulls to see if we could feel any speed. Wall vs Rose.

The answer was a resounding no.

Now just to let you know I have been playing basketball games since the Atari. I have probably played close to 40,000 games of NBA 2k. I've played every version they have released. Not all online because I play in leagues offline and tournaments. I have been ranked in the top 10-150 every year. This is what I do and I do it for money. I'm an authority on this game.

Right now the game is just to slow, they changed the controls for the worst, and online still sucks.

Why move the hesitation move from the right trigger to the left trigger. The hesitation move was controlled by the right trigger since the original 2k on the Dreamcast. Why now after 10 years.

Right now I would rather play 2k10 over this version.

In my opinion the best versions of 2k were 2k1, 2k7, 2k8 and 2k10 on the PS3. On the 360 it was to easy to score in the paint. The PS3 version played a much better game of basketball than the 360.

This is not one of their best releases as far as game play.

The complaints are starting to come in over at the 2k website.

Right now it's comparing with one of it's worst releases game play wise. 2k9 which was to sluggish and made the spin move the move of choice.

That spin move is out of control this year just like 2k9. Must have something to do with all the skating.

You can't make razor cuts in this game like you do in real basketball. That's a problem.

If this was a Euro version of 2k it would be great since no one in the Euro league has a first step and they don't run isolations.

I don't feel like I have my feet firmly planted on the court.
Watching the movement of my player I completely understand why I feel that way.

The presentation has stepped up but the game play has not. It's a taken a step back from last year.

This site gave 2k9 a ranking of 9. Which was one of their worst releases.

Let's hold the applause for now because that game should have got a 7.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: NBA 2K11 Review

Nicely written review for the most part. I have to wonder given all 2K did, and how they've changed the dynamic for ALL sports games going forward - what would they have to do to warrant a 9.5? Chances are we'll never see this type of effort again, this unique a circumstance with Jordan. And I wonder if it's worth it, if in the end their graded no differently than Tiburon's Madden 11 effort. It's like NBA2K is never judged for everywhere it goes beyond what other sports games are attempting to do. I can see quibbling about a gameplay quirk here, or someone's face not being "perfect" there. But I'd think the areas where they go above and beyond what other developers do (additional gameplay options, customization, player characterization/personality, presentation, etc.) would help overcome some of those things. Personally I think this will be the game other developer efforts will be compared to going forward - and rightfully so. And it should be appropriately recognized/rewarded

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #19
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRome
Let's hold the applause.

Have you actually played a human. Cherry picking is back. How many times are they going to release a game with this cheat.

Playing the AI offline. It's nice. Stepping out into the real world. Not so nice. You might want to play a few humans before you decide how great a game is.

The dribbling system does not represent the NBA. . Basketball is a game of quickness, ball movement, and the ability to use your dribble or first step.

Quickness:
This game feels like one of the old NBA LIve's in regards to player movement. Sluggish. 2k9ish.

They didn't make it more sim. They just made the game slower.

In the NBA you can make a move left or right even if you don't have the space. You do not go into a frenzy bumping into your man outside the paint. In the NBA. That's called a foul. Reminds me of 2k9 again. .

They have continued to slow down the speed of the game since 2k8. It's a mistake.
I'm seeing things that I have to wait for to react to. So much for quickness .

Ball Movement.
Running a play still takes forever. At least online the play selection comes up whenever I want it to.

Offline the play option does not come up every time you call for it. You have to pass the ball then pass it back to your PG and hopefully this time when you hit the pad your play option will appear.

Passing is terrible. I swear there is a delay but it's not. The game is just sluggish.

First Step/Dribbling.

You barely want to touch the stick because any move will result in two or three steps towards a certain direction I don't want after the pause.Lord help you on defense. We used to call this skating . Every year it seems as though I have less and less control over my man.

2k8 had the best control. No skating. 2k10 was an improvement over 2k9 which introduced sluggish skating players to the 2k series.

Now we are back to 2k9 levels of control. You mentioned it in your review.

"My one qualm with dribbling moves is the effectiveness of the step-back dribble. The move often creates so much space that you can essentially go from around the charity stripe to the 3-point line in an instance "

That's happens because you have no control. I have used the step back move and I don't want to back up that far. Yet I'm watching my man skating and doing whatever animation I'm locked in until the animation finishes.

"My player could be fun."

The entire game could be more fun. They have slowed the game down to the point I no longer feel the speed of the NBA. I played with the Wizards while my friend played with the Bulls to see if we could feel any speed. Wall vs Rose.

The answer was a resounding no.

Now just to let you know I have been playing basketball games since the Atari. I have probably played close to 40,000 games of NBA 2k. I've played every version they have released. Not all online because I play in leagues offline and tournaments. I have been ranked in the top 10-150 every year. This is what I do and I do it for money. I'm an authority on this game.

Right now the game is just to slow, they changed the controls for the worst, and online still sucks.

Why move the hesitation move from the right trigger to the left trigger. The hesitation move was controlled by the right trigger since the original 2k on the Dreamcast. Why now after 10 years.

Right now I would rather play 2k10 over this version.

In my opinion the best versions of 2k were 2k1, 2k7, 2k8 and 2k10 on the PS3. On the 360 it was to easy to score in the paint. The PS3 version played a much better game of basketball than the 360.

This is not one of their best releases as far as game play.

The complaints are starting to come in over at the 2k website.

Right now it's comparing with one of it's worst releases game play wise. 2k9 which was to sluggish and made the spin move the move of choice.

That spin move is out of control this year just like 2k9. Must have something to do with all the skating.

You can't make razor cuts in this game like you do in real basketball. That's a problem.

If this was a Euro version of 2k it would be great since no one in the Euro league has a first step and they don't run isolations.

I don't feel like I have my feet firmly planted on the court.
Watching the movement of my player I completely understand why I feel that way.

The presentation has stepped up but the game play has not. It's a taken a step back from last year.

This site gave 2k9 a ranking of 9. Which was one of their worst releases.

Let's hold the applause for now because that game should have got a 7.
You have to at least say /rant if you go on a diatribe like that.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 10
BlackRome must own a PS5 or an XBOX 1080 because I Can't see any other basketball game being better than this.

I've also owned an ATARI. I even played "Kobe Bryant in NBA COURTSIDE". You name it I've played it. As far as I know this is the most fun I've had playing a basketball video game in a loooooong time. So let's not forget this is just a video game...an amazing one at that.

Thanks for the review.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 12
BlackRome is just an Elite fanboy whose still bum-hurt from it getting the axe. You can admit this game is great, it's okay
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #22
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
A 9? This is sports gaming bliss. easily a 10.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #23
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Let me go on the record and say that in my years of editing sports games no game needed less tweaking than this one except for maybe nfl 2k5...

A 9 does this game no justice when comparing it to last years score.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:31 AM   #24
Banned

Court_vision's Arena

OVR: 25

I've played pretty much every NBA game released...and this is the best one by far.

IMO that rates it a 10.

Perfection won't ever happen...so there's no point hoping for 100% perfection. However, context = best NBA game ever by far = 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »