Home

F1 2010 Review

This is a discussion on F1 2010 Review within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
F1 2010 Review

To start things off, let me tell you a little bit about my virtual racing experience so you know where I'm coming from. I have mostly been a Forza driver recently, but years ago my friends and I played a lot of Geoff Crammond's racing games on PC, starting with Stunt Car Racer and moving along to F1GP and Grand Prix 2. Since that point in my racing life, I have mostly been playing more arcade-style games on various consoles, and for the last year I have clocked a lot of hours with Forza Motorsport 3, which in my opinion was a pretty solid effort -- a perfect hybrid of arcade and simulation.

But since I follow the F1 circus and enjoy a virtual racing session every now and then, I have been waiting for a proper F1 game for a long, long time. However, when I heard Codemasters was the company with the rights for F1, I was a bit apprehensive. Although Codemasters had done great racing games in the past (TOCA, Colin McRae), the later games like Dirt and Grid were a bit too light for my taste.

Thankfully, those fears have been squelched. After just a few days of racing in F1 2010, I had already forgotten about my pessimism and was enthusiastically driving full practice sessions, trying to find the perfect setups for different tracks, and throwing the car around in a way that is only possible when you have huge amounts of downforce available. And that last element is the one thing that F1 2010 does best. The feeling of driving a car that weighs just over 600 kg and has over 700 bhp is just amazing. You can throw the car into corners with speeds that make your head go dizzy. It takes a while to get used to the performance these cars have, but once you start to have confidence in the ridiculous amount of grip and power F1 cars have it's a blast!

Read More - F1 2010 Review
Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Location: Richmond, VA, but I am from Spain...you know, that country that McCain thinks is in SouthAmerica lol
Excellent review. I found interesting the lack of a safety car. Also you can't see very well the lights when you start a race from the last positions -I don't know if there is a way to zoom it-. The other two things that I would love to see for the next one: A real tactic when you have to change the tires, and to make your comments during the press conference worth it.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 12
Very good review. Pretty much got it on point. I would add that online is a LOAD of fun with like-minded friends. I race with a group of long time Forza drivers and we've put in a few laps with this game and it's been great. I'm not familiar with the vast majority of the tracks but it's still fun.

One thing they could do is add more robustness to the online portion. Like teams, letting people select the same cars on those teams , maybe an on-going season online so that all the elements like preserving engines and R and D and all that would apply. Other than that everything you said is on point.

The rain effects are fantastic as you've said. You cant explain it , you just have to drive and experience for yourself.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
I can't wait to try this game. sounds awesome.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 AM   #5
Pro

OVR: 33
Your review is spot on. I echo what emelki1968 states. The start lights are not visible. Also there is no real skill involved in starting off the grid. A surprise as this is one of the most influential points of any F1 race.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Great, balanced, fair review. You mentioned the bugs, and thank you for confirming to the readers that Codies are working on a patch (including the pit problem, again that's an easy workaround by pitting a lap early or later than the planned stop).

Even the Codies forums are settling down a bit while everyone waits for the patch.

F1 2010 is SO much fun, and your review really hit on this. The word that comes to mind is ADDICTIVE. This is higher grade car-crack than Forza 3 for me...I can spend two hours without thinking about it trying to beat my own times on a circuit in time trials, trying to climb positions on the leaderboards!

I love the AI in the races....chasing down the Red Bull drivers, reeling them in a tenth of a second at a time. You have to be smart and patient with your overtakes so you don't wreck or take a penalty, or overshoot that next turn! The nice thing about the AI as well is it's fun even at the lower difficulties (just not as fast).

This game is FANTASTIC for someone like myself who is an F1 noob to get into the sport.

F1 2010 is such a great base as fun and addictive as it is. I can't wait to see what's in store for F1 2011, but until then, I'll enjoy the racing, climbing the team ladders, demoralizing my teammate (lol) and shaving seconds off my times.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3
Just a great review. With the safety cars, track marshalls, champagne celebration and pre-race lap missing this is still one of the best F! games ever released. Even better than Playstations verision a few years ago.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
All Star

Lieutenant Dan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: F1 2010 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerswildXOXO
Just a great review. With the safety cars, track marshalls, champagne celebration and pre-race lap missing this is still one of the best F! games ever released. Even better than Playstations verision a few years ago.
That's an ideal list of stuff to add for F1 2011

I actually got to watch the Suzuka F1 race Sunday afternoon on Speed. That was great!

OS Dibs: Anna Kendrick

Elite Dangerous on One X has become my life.

Proud PS5 and Xbox Series X Owner
"Best of Both Worlds"

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »