Home

No Plans For Backbreaker Patch #2

This is a discussion on No Plans For Backbreaker Patch #2 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: No Plans For Backbreaker Patch #2

They aren't developing any more patches for "Backbreaker 1", so I guess that kind of confirms a Backbreaker 2 if it hasn't been already?

Are the same people making IceBreaker who made this or is it a new team? I would like to see another Backbreaker come out soon. The first was a good game for a first attempt in my opinion. It set up a great base and I think a BB2 could potentially be the best football game made if they really do it right.

― Plato
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #10
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: No Patch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleVermilion
Out of curiosity, what does this do for your faith in Natural Motion to support games in the future? Would you buy a Backbreaker 2?
You'd have to be a complete fanboy or a complete fool to buy their next game knowing that they will only release one patch for it. Considering that there may not be a huge list of improvements in BB2, I don't see how anyone who bought the first can be courageous enough to essentially throw good money after bad. I will keep an eye out for information, but I will not simply go out and buy it because I bought the first. I could see if the game was as good as say Beyond Good and Evil or something like a sleeper cult hit, but only selling 80,000 in the video game world is the equivalent to being completely unknown... heck there are indie games that cost less and sell more on XBLA.

It may have cost NatMo some change, and put them in the red on the profits of the game, but it would have solidified their fanbase if they at least fixed what they broke with the Greathouse patch which was the games best attraction. Not fixing the game is going to be one of many mistakes this company makes and will reflect in their sales of future titles. They will get a bad rep from this and it will be hard to make people forget especially those of us that stood by them for years even before the game came out.

Last edited by TreFacTor; 10-25-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
I'm fine with this news.

The Greathouse Patch did so much to help the game.

But I think the next logical step is to give it a rest and start coming up with ways to make sure Backbreaker 2 does better at retail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Saying Backbreaker1 clearly indicates a Backbreaker2. Would love to see this game suceed. Has huge potential but the first effort wasn't good enough.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
Timo time

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

BB was a solid effort, it didn't get a lot of things right, but I certainly had fun with it and Tackle Alley was definitely a strong point for the game.

What impresses me is how much they paid attention to the community and listened to the consumer's concerns. Greathouse was what a patch should be, granted it also brought some other issues that weren't there beforehand. If BB2 ever comes along, I'll be sure to throw some money that way.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I'm not making any excuses for NM, they've got a long way to go to try and get me to buy one of their products day 1 again, if at all. People cite money and time as reasons Backbreaker was half baked, then they develop a massive patch that breaks as much as it fixes. The game was never a very good football game with so many fundamental things wrong with it due to physics oddities. It would have been able to claim success if it had just tried to be a new kind of blitz game, speed up the players and watch them explode on each other with massive tackles... the physics problems and shallow game modes that demolished their chance at any kind of sim categorization wouldn't have been a detriment to the game then. Instead they tried to cater to everyone and never were really won over anyone but the customization-happy guys, and Greathouse even managed to mess up what that group of gamers were doing too.

No idea why Tackle Alley isnt on PSN and XBL for $10, Backbreaker is awful and I'd buy an XBLA TA in a heartbeat to compete with friends for scores. They could make a living with games like that for various sports.

I give all games a chance, but stuff like finally revealing the 'franchise' modes just a couple days before release isn't going to fly for any followup. They also need to change the name to Natural Motion Football or something.
Thank God!! Someone with some sense. They half-a$$ed this game is the best part of your post. They did this very thing and the game suffered. I will never buy one of their games first day or 12 months day...don't care for em anymore.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
MVP

RayRay34's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.McGee
Thank God!! Someone with some sense. They half-a$$ed this game is the best part of your post. They did this very thing and the game suffered. I will never buy one of their games first day or 12 months day...don't care for em anymore.

Someones bitter about something!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

If i see that BB2 is a big improvement over BB1 i will gladly hand over my money to them.

A small groups of devs and limited budget and they still sold the game for $10 less than that other game.

They will have my support until EA gets their act together.. or gets another dev studio to make their game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »