Home

EA Sports MMA One and Done?

This is a discussion on EA Sports MMA One and Done? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 30
I didn't get into either games from 09 to now and I don't really watch MMA but I have played each demo. I have to say, as much as I dug the UFC demos, I liked the MMA demo a lot more because of the controls. The graphics were sweet, too. I am seriously considering this game so my nephew and I can have another game to rock on.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports MMA One and Done?

It's very disappointing that, despite previous iterations, this is a sport that's very new to video games, and it's already dominated by the name on the game box. I was so disappointed and angered by UFC 2010 because it was Yukes showing their true colors. I was then disappointed by the early videos for this, and even the demo wasn't that good, but the end product has been incredible. It's very possible that this game could see a resurgence when word of mouth continues to travel around.

With regards to a second game though, wasn't this destined to be an every other year series? Like, this year is MMA, next year is Fight Night, then the year after that is MMA, and on, and on? If EA continues to make money elsewhere, it's very possible they continue on with this to help build a brand. It's also not as if EA doesn't take chances. Dead Space, for example, was a huge risk EA took with publishing that game, and it turned out to be a winner. They will also beat a dead horse as much as someone like Activision, so don't be shocked if there is an EA MMA 2 at some point down the line. And if there isn't, I hope the main people behind this get jobs at Yukes developing UFC games.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
Too bad. Actually I'm a UFC 10 guy. But I played the demo for EA MMA and it wasn't bad. Just not quite good enough for me to have it over UFC.

I have so many other sports that I only have time for one MMA game. So I stick with UFC
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
I doubt it be one and done, even with poor sales, EA has deep pockets and could absorb bad sales. I mean hell look at their street games, those sold poorly but they still sold it for 3 years straight.

It would be a shame though, THQ killed wrestling games when they got the WWE license for a long term contract years ago and they will do the same with MMA by having the UFC contract for long term.

i agree.
it wont be one and done.
'three and out' is more likely.

besides this is an analyst saying this.
the same types who predicted GTA V announcements at E3 and arrival of tthe WII HD which never happened.

Last edited by econoodle; 10-25-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubba910
I'm glad that EA now knows how it feels to not have a Lisence for a sport. They killed 2K Football, so it's karma.
Except they had previously lost their baseball game (MVP Baseball) to a licensing deal between MLB and Take Two.

My Video Game Streams
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
MVP

CX1329's Arena

OVR: 16
It would be horrible if they discontinued this series. It's the first ever MMA game with a somewhat realistic stand-up game, and it had things that UFC couldn't even begin to touch, like the amazing damage model, a wealth of different animations, different rulesets, rings, a submission system that doesn't require you to "shine" anything, and so on. I think the MMA market could definitely enjoy some competition, and thus, I'd hate for THQ to have the only MMA game around.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

yeah, this is just analyst speculation. EA had to have some realistic idea what their sales would be for the initial outing of their non UFC MMA game. They put out a solid base and can build on it for the next one.

It had a small market anyways, as many UFC fans aren't actually MMA fans, but maybe the horrible demo turned some buyers away. Word of mouth and long term support from EA can help recover some of that.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Exclusive deals suck. I wonder if the day where a top sports game (ie Madden, NBA2K or NHL) is made exclusive to one console is close at hand.

Dana White is very shortsighted in the deal he made with THQ. I get it that he's miffed at EA, but all of that took place before Peter Moore took over.

Why not sell the license to both? All it could do is expand the interest of your sport.
If you're a businessman you can't let bitterness cloud your judgement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »