Home

NBA Elite Being Moved to Tiburon, EA Canada Hit by Layoffs (Not Confirmed Yet)

This is a discussion on NBA Elite Being Moved to Tiburon, EA Canada Hit by Layoffs (Not Confirmed Yet) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
So lemme get this straight; good, hard-working people are getting laid off at EA Canada because some higher ups at EA decided to scrap a game well on it's way to becoming great and go in a completely different direction because THEY can't tell a good game from a bad one? Somebody high up the ladder has egg on their face over this decision yet a perfectly competent and talented studio (they proved that with some solid leadership and strong vision from Mike Wang, they can make a very good bball game) gets tossed like it's their fault. You can't always turn lemons into lemonade and the direction they wanted to go with Elite takes years, not months, to develop. Heck, EA didn't release an NHL 06 on 360 but came back strong with 07 to much applause.

I'm stunned if this is true. Getting rid of Visual Concepts worked out great for EA too, didn't it.....
MAN your dead on.... the suits got these hard working, talent people fired because of their direction. I figure some heads would roll because of this but I figure it would be some of the producers not the actual studio workers!......I bet those same guys who made those decisions will still be getting extra nice holiday bonuses for all their HARD WORK this year. This is crazy to say the least.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA Elite Being Moved to Tiburon, EA Canada Hit by Layoffs (Not Confirmed Yet)

tiburon :/
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37
So the people who do nothing with madden are gonna do nothing with the NBA. fantastic.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22
Terrible for the people working there if true. sroz39 made a good point; Live 10 was pretty good and they should have continued on that path. The higher ups at EA made the decision to change the focus of the game and the devs have to pay for it. Cutthroat business man.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #21
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: NBA Elite Being Moved to Tiburon, EA Canada Hit by Layoffs (Not Confirmed Yet)

EACanada is Fifa and NHL.

This actually might work. Tiburon's in Florida in the heart of a lot of basketball schools and professional franchises.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
Rookie

BlackCloudDoggy's Arena

OVR: 2

Something needed to be done. Could be coming off as ignorant and I'm not anti-Canada but maybe it will do this series good bringing it stateside. I just want a good b-ball game from EA, whatever it takes. Sorry for those who lost their jobs.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCloudDoggy
Something needed to be done. Could be coming off as ignorant and I'm not anti-Canada but maybe it will do this series good bringing it stateside. I just want a good b-ball game from EA, whatever it takes. Sorry for those who lost their jobs.
We had a good game from EA last year, made by this exact studio, so I don't see how moving the project is going to change the quality of the product for the better. Tiburon's recent track record is nothing to write home about. EA Canada's track record is a lot better. It all comes down to leadership and the improvement this series made from Live 09 to Live 10 was remarkable. A true testament to not only Mike Wang and more importantly, the dev team behind the game.

Does solid leadership always mean a game is going to be great? Obviously not and the most recent example I can think of is the much-hyped hiring of Ben Brinkman (former MVP Baseball Producer) by 2K to work on the MLB games for them. The game seemed to get worse, not better. But that's all the MORE evidence that this is an outstanding studio because when they finally had a strong leader, they turned out a game that challenged the genre leader for best bball game that year, in only a year and a half's time.

I think this is a terrible mistake. Every time I think this series hits rock bottom, it manages to find a way to dig a deeper hole. How long before this game becomes good again? Forget about challenging 2K, how long until its even as good as Live 10 or even Live 09? Moving to Tiburon, you would assume this means yet another reset for the series. Is it going to be worth it just to MAYBE get back to the level of quality of Live 10 in 2 or 3 years? Seems like a waste of 5 years, no?

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jWILL10
Wow. Wow. WOOOOOW. EA just keeps on sticking it's foot in it's mouth. In exception to NHL 11 and FIFA 11, this has been a HORRIBLE year for EA Sports.

Note to the suits: let the devs make the game, not you. This is what's wrong with gaming and music these days: the suits think THEY'RE the stars, and THEY know what's going on, but they don't. In fact, they're more out of touch with the masses than ANYONE. So, we get hit with these gimmicks that they think will draw over the Wii/casual gamer crowd, but end up alienating loyal customers.

This exact same thing happened at Infinity Ward, minus any game-cancellation. The suits though Infinity Ward was expendable, and that they can have a game of similar quality with Treyarch. So, IW got the boot. Now, while Activision may end up getting the last laugh anyway, EA will not. Personally, I think we're seeing the collapse of EA Sports before our very eyes...
Yessir...Its like there's a lot of Al Davis and Jerry Joneses running things over there.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »