Home

NHL 11 Rosters Arrive Tuesday, November 2nd

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Rosters Arrive Tuesday, November 2nd within the EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
Rookie

misch13fRoyale's Arena

OVR: 1
NHL 11 Rosters Arrive Tuesday, November 2nd

According to oilersguru, one of the moderators at the EA Forums, the much anticipated NHL 11 rosters will be available Tuesday morning, November 2nd.
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: EA roster coming out... NOV 2

And deadline number 3 is set.

Third times the charm, right?

Seriously, that needs to change. EA needs to have a little more transparency with their customers to help set/monitor expectations. Maybe have some sort of "in-game" update system that shows ETA on patches/updates. And provide small blurbs on development, in game.

Again, as a PM, I am appalled that they couldn't get it right. Working through the weekend means that people weren't working properly to get it done in the allotted time frame. Instead, they should have been working nights to get it out before the EOW (like promised). This isn't a licensing issue any more, this is lazy project management.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Rookie

misch13fRoyale's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83

Seriously, that needs to change. EA needs to have a little more transparency with their customers to help set/monitor expectations. Maybe have some sort of "in-game" update system that shows ETA on patches/updates. And provide small blurbs on development, in game.

Again, as a PM, I am appalled that they couldn't get it right. Working through the weekend means that people weren't working properly to get it done in the allotted time frame. Instead, they should have been working nights to get it out before the EOW (like promised). This isn't a licensing issue any more, this is lazy project management.
you know i agree with everything everyone says, just the difference with me and some others is, im willing to give some NON-ea roster updates a whirl... which have worked fine for me so far and held me down to this point.

But, I am a subscriber to Game Informer mag, and there was an article in the first issue i received a couple months ago, about David Littman, the producer who was ON POINT with all the roster updates and information released up to the NHL 10. Apparently he has been asked to revamp the NBA live series which is fighting for its life cuz it sucks so bad.... but he seemed alot more responsible than anyone else who is running the day to day ops over there... I dont know if hes even there assisting anything but, who ever is running things there apparenlty has a serious lag. Taking into consideration that the database is on a different magnitude, you would think maybe, just maybe they would have more people working on it than before.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by misch13fRoyale
you know i agree with everything everyone says, just the difference with me and some others is, im willing to give some NON-ea roster updates a whirl... which have worked fine for me so far and held me down to this point.
How do you do that? I heard they took out roster sharing and it borks the whole thing up.

I would gladly use a 3rd party roster.

Quote:
But, I am a subscriber to Game Informer mag, and there was an article in the first issue i received a couple months ago, about David Littman, the producer who was ON POINT with all the roster updates and information released up to the NHL 10. Apparently he has been asked to revamp the NBA live series which is fighting for its life cuz it sucks so bad.... but he seemed alot more responsible than anyone else who is running the day to day ops over there...
I think that's why Littman was moved to the Live team. My guess is they were WAY behind on their deliverables and they need a good project lead to ensure that there were no set backs. Littman was unable to work a miracle and NBA missed it's intended deadline.

It looks like the NHL devs are going down the same road. Developers are wonderful, but need a bit of direction from time to time. Prioritization and people ensuring targets are being met.

They need Littman back.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83

Unless you have worked on the game you really have no idea the circumstances that have been in play here. It's quite a stretch to suggest that people weren't working properly when you have no idea what the factors are. Being a project manager where you work doesn't give you any specific information about this particular industry and this specific project.

And considering that this is the first time they have directly said what day it's going to be available, you really can't say they've missed deadlines.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbruce
Unless you have worked on the game you really have no idea the circumstances that have been in play here. It's quite a stretch to suggest that people weren't working properly when you have no idea what the factors are. Being a project manager where you work doesn't give you any specific information about this particular industry and this specific project.
Project management varies little from industry to industry. That's the wonderful part of the profession. I could manage the construction of a building to the development of a software platform to the design of a document to put in front of congress.

The stages are the same, the risk factors may be different. But it's a PMs job to step up and handle those risk factors. And accept the blame when the project isn't on time or on budget.

Quote:
And considering that this is the first time they have directly said what day it's going to be available, you really can't say they've missed deadlines.
They've directly said it'd be done multiple times. This is just the first time they've given us a concrete date rather than a time frame.

It should not, in any situation, take 60+ days to release a completed roster where most of the edits are shuffling lineups within a dedicated database or application.

If EA would open lines of communication and say:
"Here's the date. This is what we plan to providing by that date. Here's the reasons for the date and the delays up to this point. This is what we're doing to address those reasons."

For instance:
"The target date for the roster release is November 2nd. We plan to release updates to ratings (based on current play thus far), player numbers, lineups and team assignments only (but we will do this for every league in the game). We will not be addressing equipment in this release. We apologize for the delays to the roster release so far. We did not anticipate the licensing issues with the CHL and how this licensing would affect the 10-day rule for allowing teams reassign players from the pro team to the minors. Further, the layoffs cut our dedicated roster staff from 5 to 2, so our workload doubled. We are sorry this hit you as a consumer, but we hope the roster will eventually earn us some good will back. Moving forward, we are going to reassign some additional resources to the roster team and work through the weekend to ensure we can meet this new deadline. Again, we apologize."

People would be happier. They should do this for the roster file AND the tuners AND the patches.

Instead, they stay hidden, let people fling mud and have the EA sunshine pumpers come out and defend them to the bitter end even if the business practice is shady.

Last edited by Bama83; 10-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Or they could do nothing after release. Your choice.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

Maybe I'm off base here, but for all the EA-defenders, let me ask this question:

Do they CREATE a real-life player BEFORE or AFTER they get his signature?

My guess is before...they must be thinking in advance about player ratings and his cyber-model.

If they wait for a signature before they even start to think about how to create the player then I can understand the wait. But I don't know if that's the case...

As someone who has worked on NBA 2K and MLB 2K rosters, I can find scouting reports, pictures, and have a general feel for a player and create them very quickly. I don't have a team, just me, my console and a laptop. I have a full-time job, 4 children, and church activities that soak up a lot of my time, yet I put rosters out (for enjoyment) in quick order.

I don't get this delay from EA. I realize it's a lot of players, but for MLB 2K10 I created well over 250+ minor league players and was able to churn out rosters updates on a frequent basis that were spot on. I know what it takes (from my end) to get this done. If I had a team of people I cannot begin to fathom how much more fun, quickly, and accurate I'd be...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy > EA Sports NHL Last Gen Rosters »