Home

NHL 11 Podcast #1 Available Now, Roster Update and Upcoming Title Update News

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Podcast #1 Available Now, Roster Update and Upcoming Title Update News within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 11 Podcast #1 Available Now, Roster Update and Upcoming Title Update News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ether
I love how every year there are issues with the game and every time they are asked about Title Updates, they regurgitate the same response. "The more time we spend working on updating this year's game, the less time we have to spend working on next year's game." Which they will inevitably spend all their time working on new things for, which won't even work properly when it comes out, instead of making what they have work properly to begin with.

Perhaps an attitude adjustment is necessary. Instead of "we shouldn't waist anymore time on this year's game because it's already out", maybe they should just try to get one game right before starting the next one. EA, you don't need more gimmicks, HUT wasn't necessary, it's just a variation to BeAGM, both are fantasy modes. Online players wanted BeAGM to be online playable but instead, you made an entire new mode. It wasn't necessary. Just like the massive overemphasis on fighting two years ago. It wasn't what the fans were asking for. Don't spend the next year working on something fans aren't asking for.
That whole line about it takes time away from next years game is garbage, guess what fella's, Start getting the games right that people paid for or there might not be a next year!

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: NHL 11 Podcast #1 Available Now, Roster Update and Upcoming Title Update News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ether
I love how every year there are issues with the game and every time they are asked about Title Updates, they regurgitate the same response. "The more time we spend working on updating this year's game, the less time we have to spend working on next year's game." Which they will inevitably spend all their time working on new things for, which won't even work properly when it comes out, instead of making what they have work properly to begin with.

Perhaps an attitude adjustment is necessary. Instead of "we shouldn't waist anymore time on this year's game because it's already out", maybe they should just try to get one game right before starting the next one. EA, you don't need more gimmicks, HUT wasn't necessary, it's just a variation to BeAGM, both are fantasy modes. Online players wanted BeAGM to be online playable but instead, you made an entire new mode. It wasn't necessary. Just like the massive overemphasis on fighting two years ago. It wasn't what the fans were asking for. Don't spend the next year working on something fans aren't asking for.
Sadly, in the world today, old games that have been a bit improved don't sell.
While everyone says they want the game "fixed" (I don't think it's as bad as everyone claims it is. It sure isn't "broken" or "unplayable").
But the game could use some work, but to sell, and keep getting money to keep creating future NHL games, they have to move units. Money is the name of the game, just like any business.
And you don't get new customers, and keep all of your old ones, by just fixing bugs, adding a new season's roster, and releasing the game with a new name.
People want to see improvements, and new features. New features sell the game to people who don't have it yet, and that is the key to building a strong franchise, and keeping it successful.
I'm not saying that i want them to ignore old bugs, or skip on fixing issues, but i understand the need for new features.
Also, i think the developers don't get enough credit.
You have to realize that they are forced to bring you a new and better game year after year, getting a fraction of the time that most developers get.
If i'm remembering right, Halo 3 to Halo:ODST was about 2 years, and in my opinion, that game isn't really changed much at all.
But sports game companies are tasked with constantly supporting the current version of the game (Which i'm sure they aren't allowed much staff for considering they don't sell games much at all because of patches), and at the same time, create a "new" version of the game for the next year, with all of the fixes the current games want and "need" and then still add new features to draw in the people who haven't bought it yet, and may not.
Game developers have rough lives, and i feel like too many people on these boards over-simplify their lives and make absurd claims like the game being unplayable, or horrible.
It's the best NHL game to date, and while it may have flaws, i have had a blast playing through my NHL Season, and i don't have a problem restarting for the new patch and roster. I understand not everyone shares that opinion, but, at the end of the day, it is still just a game.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
It's the best NHL game to date, and while it may have flaws, i have had a blast playing through my NHL Season, and i don't have a problem restarting for the new patch and roster. I understand not everyone shares that opinion, but, at the end of the day, it is still just a game.
There's been a lot of speculation that the patch would require people to restart their BeAGM and BeAPro seasons, but I don't think that is the case.

You would have to do so to use the latest rosters, but as far as I understand the patch will work fine continuing an existing season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
MVP

canucksss's Arena

OVR: 13

i dont mind restarting my BGM coz now the XP, NHL stars in AHL bugs are all cleared up. add to that is we have the most recent roster update.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 8

I think too much of today's sports games focus on "new, exciting features". There seems to be this mindset that this is what lures players into the game.

I think this is old tradition. When we had NES, Genesis, etc. The games couldn't really progress too much from iteration to iteration in terms of gameplay and functioning like the real life product, but in today's world -- I think gamers are appeased more by having a more rich game environment that is closer to the real experience.

Instead of adding sucker features like a half-hearted fighting engine or HUT, they should focus on making their gameplay more authentic and robust. The physics engine is a great example of time spent doing something that will enhance gameplay. Enhancing the presentation/commentary and anything on ice is where the focus should be.

If they spent the resources that made each team play uniquely. Really worked on the AI. Etc. I don't think the NHL community would have not bought this game.

I don't know of anyone that said: "ZOMG! HUT is in the game!! I so need it now!"
Old 11-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #14
MVP

actionhank's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
There's been a lot of speculation that the patch would require people to restart their BeAGM and BeAPro seasons, but I don't think that is the case.

You would have to do so to use the latest rosters, but as far as I understand the patch will work fine continuing an existing season.
That's pretty cool.
I may restart anyway since i like knowing i have the most up to date roster.
Regardless of the fact that i wouldn't be able to tell anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »