Home

NHL 11 Podcast #2 - How Ratings Work

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Podcast #2 - How Ratings Work within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NHL 11 Podcast #2 - How Ratings Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
its not legit when the same play goes in 99.99999999999% of the time. its abusing the cpu/ai!! but hey, to each their own.
It's a 2 on 1. Should I just shoot the puck over the glass because you think it's a glitch?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

NHL goalies are good enough at rebound control and directing pucks that they wouldn't bounce those shots out at the same angle 99% of the time like they do in the EASHL.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Rookie

HawkeyMediaPlus's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
NHL goalies are good enough at rebound control and directing pucks that they wouldn't bounce those shots out at the same angle 99% of the time like they do in the EASHL.
Yea except goalies in EASHL are 65 overall and are not NHL caliber.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyMediaPlus
Yea except goalies in EASHL are 65 overall and are not NHL caliber.
It is not just EASHL it is the same in HUT and versus modes with goalies rated in the high 80's.

I was hoping they were going to unveil what the goalie ratings meant but I guess not. What is the secret they don't want to share about the goalies.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Great, great explanation of ratings, prospects, star players, etc. So tired of people complaining about their draft picks not all becoming NHL regulars after one season and complaining its not realistic. What the devs built and explained in this podcast is true NHL realism. I'm on season 3 and only ONE of my draft picks (2 drafts) is skating on my NHL club ... 3rd liner. Cool part is is that the guy was a 3rd round pick. Turning out to be a better player (ratings wise) than my 1st and 2nd rounder from that same draft.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucas005
Great, great explanation of ratings, prospects, star players, etc. So tired of people complaining about their draft picks not all becoming NHL regulars after one season and complaining its not realistic. What the devs built and explained in this podcast is true NHL realism. I'm on season 3 and only ONE of my draft picks (2 drafts) is skating on my NHL club ... 3rd liner. Cool part is is that the guy was a 3rd round pick. Turning out to be a better player (ratings wise) than my 1st and 2nd rounder from that same draft.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but there is just not enough progression for my liking. I'm in year four and I am still better off signing and playing with old, washed up, NHL journeymen than my own (high) draft picks. I certainly don't want every draft pick, or even high draft pick, to go to 99 rating, but as far as I can tell (and with the crappy, completely unintuitive ability to view others teams' players, I may have missed some), I don't see any stars developing in the first three drafts. That, to me, is not reality either. Every few years there is a guy with instant impact - Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane, Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc. I am not finding any. It seems like NHL 10 did this better; draft picks were of far more use to me there. Maybe there could be a slider for this?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #15
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Yeah, I get what you're saying, but there is just not enough progression for my liking. I'm in year four and I am still better off signing and playing with old, washed up, NHL journeymen than my own (high) draft picks. I certainly don't want every draft pick, or even high draft pick, to go to 99 rating, but as far as I can tell (and with the crappy, completely unintuitive ability to view others teams' players, I may have missed some), I don't see any stars developing in the first three drafts. That, to me, is not reality either. Every few years there is a guy with instant impact - Lindros, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Kane, Kovalchuk, Heatley, etc. I am not finding any. It seems like NHL 10 did this better; draft picks were of far more use to me there. Maybe there could be a slider for this?
I will agree with you on no immediate impact rookies. I've only completed 2 drafts so my testing is limited, but I don't believe any of the top 5-10 picks of each of those 2 drafts made the team right out of the draft. Yeah it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I'm hoping for a superstar high 70/low 80 rookie to eventually show up in the draft and make an impact in year 1.

My best draft pick after 2 drafts going into year 3 is now rated an 80 overall. I could have signed washed up Ryan Smith (79) but went with the 20 year old prospect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
Rookie

Steve Danger's Arena

OVR: 2

You may be "better off" to sign an old washed up veteran but if you don't play your prospects they don't get experience points and don't progress. I'd rather take a player that's lower on the overall rating by a few points but with a high potential and get him some playing time.

Also, it's too bad when recording the podcast they didn't realize that both people talking should be in front of a microphone. You can hardly hear the other guy, it's like he's at the opposite side of the room.

Last edited by Steve Danger; 11-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »