Home

New York Times on Sam Keller/EA Lawsuit: "It's about much more than video games"

This is a discussion on New York Times on Sam Keller/EA Lawsuit: "It's about much more than video games" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
MVP

colkilla's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: New York Times on Sam Keller/EA Lawsuit: "It's about much more than video games"

i was "represented" in the '96 version (the one with wuerffel on the cover). if he wins, i want my piece of the pie! in all seriousness, dude is a tool, i was hyped as hell to be "in the game" and would never fight for royalties from it...
Old 11-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #18
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9
I mean this stretches the first amendment though. You're dealing with multiple aspects... If it goes to the supreme court it's a total toss up. on the video game side... I edited rosters for NCAA 11 and being a hardcore marshall fan, minimal likeness was created... if it was to the likenss it surely would have been a lot easier to do. edited syracuses roster to their one on the website and wow. this jackass has probably never picked up a copy of ncaa or he would know just how hard it is to create real rosters.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #19
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanemblem
leave it to a spoiled scrub to ruin it for everyone. ea does not use the likeness of any college players. heck half the time, they have the wrong jersey number. ea's lawyers took a very dumb stance. they should have put the burden on the ncaa. afterall, jerseys, posters and other products are sold using the player's likeness and they don't get a nickel. i'm guessing that a jury is more likely to rule against the for profit than the ncaa. i bet keller had no problem customizing the game with his name Nd such when he was playing and since his career fizzled he figures someone has to pay. what a biggitty beya!
This is horrible for both. If Sam would have made it.. this would not be an issue
Old 11-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: New York Times on Sam Keller/EA Lawsuit: "It's about much more than video games"

I always wondered why the ncaa and/or ea didn't have the players sign a waiver to use there likeness to prevent problems like this. Most players would have no issues being in the game. The ones that didn't want to, who cares, does it really matter? We can edit the rosters anyways.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #21
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by notimetobleed77
I always wondered why the ncaa and/or ea didn't have the players sign a waiver to use there likeness to prevent problems like this. Most players would have no issues being in the game. The ones that didn't want to, who cares, does it really matter? We can edit the rosters anyways.
I don't know if this is still true, but 3 years ago when I was playing college sports, we had to sign a waiver that said that our school and the NCAA could use our likeness for promotional purposes. It didn't say anything about using them for profit though, which is what the NCAA does by selling the exclusive license to EA.

My biggest issue with this case, and why I support Sam Keller's idea to sue, is that the NCAA makes billions of dollars off of the athletes at their institutions, but if a player wants to take a free meal they are ineligible. I find it insane that the NCAA and universities are allowed to make money off of their athletes, but (outside of a free education for some athletes, not all) the athletes themselves can't make a dime.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
I don't know if this is still true, but 3 years ago when I was playing college sports, we had to sign a waiver that said that our school and the NCAA could use our likeness for promotional purposes. It didn't say anything about using them for profit though, which is what the NCAA does by selling the exclusive license to EA.

My biggest issue with this case, and why I support Sam Keller's idea to sue, is that the NCAA makes billions of dollars off of the athletes at their institutions, but if a player wants to take a free meal they are ineligible. I find it insane that the NCAA and universities are allowed to make money off of their athletes, but (outside of a free education for some athletes, not all) the athletes themselves can't make a dime.
yea, we still have to sign the same waiver.. same 3 hour long meeting reading the entire damn contract and bylaws or whatever the hell it is.

but I think the root of it is because the NCAA wants to maintain an air of "amateurism." As everyone always brings up in recruiting violations, the minute a kid makes money off of his talent he is then a "professional."
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 AM   #23
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsTheMetal
yea, we still have to sign the same waiver.. same 3 hour long meeting reading the entire damn contract and bylaws or whatever the hell it is.

but I think the root of it is because the NCAA wants to maintain an air of "amateurism." As everyone always brings up in recruiting violations, the minute a kid makes money off of his talent he is then a "professional."
What's worse is that if you don't sign it, you're ineligible. So if you don't allow the NCAA and your school to make money off of you, they won't let you play. It's ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #24
Pro

brza37's Arena

Seriously, the NCAA should be the ones that are getting sued. Its a multi-billion dollar monopoly that they are running based off of what is basically indentured servitude. And like what Baughn said they have these contracts to make it seem like you have a choice but if you refuse you can't play. What kind of choice is that?
And football is different from other sports where if you don't like what the NCAA is doing you can try and go directly pro. The NFL doesn't allow it. You have to wait 3 years after graduating before being eligible. And there is seriously no way to get to the NFL without playing NCAA ball. I think Eric Swann is the only player to have made the NFL without going to college in modern day football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »