Home

Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format

This is a discussion on Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format

According to a recent interview, over at Kotaku, it seems skateboarding has run its course as a top video game format.

What are your thoughts? Is it time to scrap these games? What can they do to make the games better?

Quote:
"The heyday of skateboarding games is past, the head of EA, the company that makes Tony Hawk rival franchise Skate, told Kotaku in an interview this week.

EA chief John Riccitiello, whose company's Skate series has been regarded as the better skateboarding video game series in the last few years, sees skateboarding as part of a bigger group of games he thinks will stick around.

"When it comes to action sports, I think that's going to be an an ongoing exciting genre," Riccitiello said during an interview in New York City. "But at least for the level of excitement out there, skateboarding seems to have run its course as the representative example in that broader genre."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format

In some ways I agree. Don't get me wrong, Skate 3 is the greatest skateboarding game ever made... but why did they have to pound out three of them in under three years of time? What's their driving force besides money? They would have earned so much more if they spent two - three years in between these games and released them then.

I don't know what more they can do to be honest, but I trust them to do the right thing. The best thing IMO is for them to release Skate 4 no earlier than Q3 2012, maybe even later. There's no need for a new one right now.

Oh, and the best thing for these games is to stay on the classic controllers. No big boards, no motion controls. That's just moving to a new parallel, not "improving" IMO.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
The problem is that game companies are still trying to treat "action sports" titles like they are any other yearly sports release.

The yearly release model just isn't sustainable for action sports games.

People will still buy these games if they are good and bring something innovative to the market (see, Skate 1), but as long as they are mostly rehashed sequels (Skate 2, Skate 3), they will sit on store shelves and wind up in the bargain bin.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Rookie

GrandMaster B's Arena

OVR: 15
They need to get rid of the single player story/career mode in these skateboard games that give you tedious and boring tasks and make into like a open world/city multi-player where you can just skate around with 15 or 23 other people or whatever you can fit at once so it runs smooth and let people just mess around. You could have competitions posted throughout the game world to compete online against others and have a park creator. That's it. keep it simple. In the end, I think people just want to skate around and do tricks without having to complete goals to advance to another area.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree......there is no need for a skateboard game to be released EVERY year. They need to release it every 2 or 3 years. Have a career mode and just an open world mode where as if you want run a tournament or just hang out with 35 other gamers online, you can.

Enable voice chat in there and you would have a sure fire hit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 6
Instead of this out of this world crap make a game with a true career mode fans have been asking for it for years now.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
They need to get rid of the single player story/career mode in these skateboard games that give you tedious and boring tasks and make into like a open world/city multi-player where you can just skate around with 15 or 23 other people or whatever you can fit at once so it runs smooth and let people just mess around. You could have competitions posted throughout the game world to compete online against others and have a park creator. That's it. keep it simple. In the end, I think people just want to skate around and do tricks without having to complete goals to advance to another area.
There's nothing wrong with the "story mode" for a game like Skate, because aside from unlocking gear, boards, and accessories, everything else is open and available for you. It's not like tricks and locations are locked unlike THPS (or GTA for that matter), you can still do what you're asking to do.

I actually like that tedious stuff, it's an incentive to play lol. I just wish they didn't release them so closely in succession. I didn't ever pick up Skate 2 for that very reason (and that the location was the same).
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

I'm ready for SSX. We haven't had an SSX game in 5+ years. It's time. But do it right. A new SSX every year won't work, the same way a new skateboarding game or new ATV type game won't work.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »