Home

Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format

This is a discussion on Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Skateboarding 'Has Run Its Course' As A Top Video Game Format

I know people loved SSX, but I'd rather they made an uber-realistic snowboarding game like Skate. That would be so much fun.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
What are your thoughts? Is it time to scrap these games? What can they do to make the games better?
I was lovin' Skate 3 until it started freezing on me every 20 minutes in create-a-park, and considering Skate 2 was essentially an add on to Skate, the word "quality" comes to mind.

But really there's not much you can do with a skating game, except build new places to skate in. This will satisfy the small core of people interested in buying a skating game, but it's hardly something that will help gain an audience.

As noted by others in this thread, letting more time pass between releases might have helped, but I'm not sure how much.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 16
I left this platform years ago. The skateboards never did it for me but I loved the snowboarding games.

I haven't seen one great snowboarding game on any of the next generation systems.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
In some ways I agree. Don't get me wrong, Skate 3 is the greatest skateboarding game ever made... but why did they have to pound out three of them in under three years of time? What's their driving force besides money? They would have earned so much more if they spent two - three years in between these games and released them then.

I don't know what more they can do to be honest, but I trust them to do the right thing. The best thing IMO is for them to release Skate 4 no earlier than Q3 2012, maybe even later. There's no need for a new one right now.

Oh, and the best thing for these games is to stay on the classic controllers. No big boards, no motion controls. That's just moving to a new parallel, not "improving" IMO.
totally agree...oversaturation is the main problem...visually skate 3 was not improved over skate 2...and in all honestly, it felt more like dlc. Dont get me wrong, I loved the new "create a brand" feature, but it was little small things like the online creator that really didnt show any innovation to a game that rightfully deserves it.

Im not a skateboard purist by any stretch of the imagination, but even as a casual gamer, Skate 3 just felt rushed. Some of the major glitches still carried over from Skate 2, but thats what happens when you money grab. If by some chance they release a skate in 2011, i will not buy it, just like i didnt buy 3. Take a year off and get back to the basics. Thats what got you there.

Skateboarding should not follow the same path as the Rock Bands and Guitar Heros of the world...you dont need bi annual or annual releases and shove people with so much that eventually, they wont buy it at all.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WEiRDguy
Skateboarding should not follow the same path as the Rock Bands and Guitar Heros of the world...you dont need bi annual or annual releases and shove people with so much that eventually, they wont buy it at all.
Actually, even those were hammered to the ground way too quickly. I think Guitar Hero 2 came out at about the good time, but I don't think anyone else should have picked up the Guitar Hero name and Rock Band should have just did their first bit, then released DLC for about three years before Rock Band 2 came out. The way I see it, Rock Band 3 also should not have come out until about 2012 as well, pro instruments and all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #14
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

I think we need more "action sports" in general. Long time since there's been a BMX,inline or jetski game that wasn't on the Wii.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #15
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Unless I missed a news bulletin somewhere, EA is still planning on pounding out another Skate game. Activision, on the other hand, needs to figure something out, and if they don't, then I foresee EA dominating the genre for quite a while. Would love to see a skate. styled game in another sport, such as BMX, Inline, or Snowboarding, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #16
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox
Unless I missed a news bulletin somewhere, EA is still planning on pounding out another Skate game. Activision, on the other hand, needs to figure something out, and if they don't, then I foresee EA dominating the genre for quite a while. Would love to see a skate. styled game in another sport, such as BMX, Inline, or Snowboarding, though.
I don't think anyone said they're done with it, but it's time to rethink why another one should even be released in the next year, let alone at all. Unless they are just grabbing cash, what is the next worthwhile innovation that will up the ante just a little more?

That's why I'm content with Skate 3 for now and a while longer, and I hope that they take a while on Skate 4. I still remember when the first Skate game came out. Revolutionary! I don't know why Skate 2 and Skate 3 had to come out of the door so quickly. If Skate 3 was Skate 2 (and released this spring like it was), you wouldn't see this article being published.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »