Home

Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

This is a discussion on Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
I also hope this doesn't motivate EA to try to buy the MLB license. I hope it's no more exclusivity.
I think we're relatively safe there...EA isn't really in position to be taking on a the MLB exclusive, I don't think (hopefully not in shape for the NFL either).

But yeah...any exclusive deal (by anyone) is no good. Just let it open up.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19
For the life in me, I can't understand why these companies are spending money for these rights when having "Backbreaker" type of customization would allow them to keep the money spent. 90% of the time, the first thing gamers do to sports games is edit rosters or team gear (if available). I think hardcore gamers are at the point were they are would buy a generic packaged sports game as long as they can customize the teams they want to be represented in the game.

Because sales have not been what they anticipated since they purchased the exclusive rights, I would suggest that 2k put out a generic game with customization and see what the sales would look like. They're not going to make huge sales in the last year and payment has already been rendered, so they should try it.

They would see that they don't need the exclusive rights for football or basketball games.
Just off their name alone and desire for their product, a generic College Football game w/full customization would sale like crazy. I'm quite sure taking a chance in this area would be cheaper than the est $40 million spent.

The major problem that 2k faces is that in America, "Football" is the money maker, then Basketball, then the other sports depending on where you live (ie. hockey is not as big in California as it is in the states that border Canada). Football is your money maker, and the other sports games are like extra income ventures. As great as their basketball is, it will never make as much money as a football title of similiar quality. They simply have to utilize a backdoor (see above) to get back in the Football game and make some real money because this reflects that their is only so much the other sports can do.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 29
While MLB the show is superior theres no reason to gloat about it, I own a PS3 and while I love the show, I love baseball more, more games the better!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
For the life in me, I can't understand why these companies are spending money for these rights when having "Backbreaker" type of customization would allow them to keep the money spent. 90% of the time, the first thing gamers do to sports games is edit rosters or team gear (if available). I think hardcore gamers are at the point were they are would buy a generic packaged sports game as long as they can customize the teams they want to be represented in the game.

Because sales have not been what they anticipated since they purchased the exclusive rights, I would suggest that 2k put out a generic game with customization and see what the sales would look like.
How much did backbreaker sell? The reality is the hardcore gamer is a small piece of sales. Without names people recognize, the average fan will not buy the game and that is where most of their money is made.

I just want their to be competition in all games because at the end of the day that is what is best for the consumer and the industry as a hole.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2
Having The Show and MVP would be great. It would be a clash of MLB game titans. That is if EA gets the MLB license back or if they just blow it off. I how they'd get it back. MVP was a great game seeing it stack up against The Show would be exciting, especially with great new features.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #14
Pro

OVR: 33
I think the loss of any exclusive deal can only be a good thing. It was a bum deal for 2K anyway because most PS3 owners opted for the superior MLB the Show series.
That said I would like 2K to continue to develop MLB titles as last year they made some big improvements.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
As much as it pains you, me, and virtually everyone who regularly visits OperationSports, the hardcore gamer who values customization in a sports game isn't anywhere near 90% of the audience. Studies have shown that casual gamers are the majority by far. Look at Backbreaker's sales vs. Madden's. Madden may have had a down year, but still sold better than Backbreaker.

2K did put out a generic game with customization, it was called "All-Pro Football 2K8". Didn't sell well either. I couldn't care less about customization if the game doesn't look and play well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #16
World Series Champions!!

Cubfan's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Take-Two Interactive Suggests MLB Exclusivity May End When 2012 Deal Expires

As long as The Show is around im happy a baseball video game fan.
NBA: Chicago Bulls
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »