Home

Gran Turismo 5 v1.03 Update Brings Mechanical Damage, Available Now

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 v1.03 Update Brings Mechanical Damage, Available Now within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Gran Turismo 5 v1.03 Update Brings Mechanical Damage, Available Now

king10sooted and myself have plenty of fun with the 8 or 9 other guys we race with.... its all about structure. make rules than enforce them. the damage added tonight just makes it that much better and forces the morons out of the room.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
Just raced online with the new damage patch, and what a difference it makes. The car can literally be un-drivable. I wish it was a little more superficially noticeable...but I like it none the less!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunN1st
We saw both mechanical and body damage tonight.
Great news, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstr
This will make circuit racing more fun by making people who crash to take a pit stop.
Indeed!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Rookie

jenglund's Arena

OVR: 7

Kotaku posted this:
You can only access these options from your "lounge", not as part of the **** singleplayer "campaign" or the more immediate "arcade" mode.

Can anybody confirm if this is true?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 15

Pretty sure mechanical and visual damage starts at level 20 in the campaign.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #13
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenglund
Kotaku posted this:
You can only access these options from your "lounge", not as part of the **** singleplayer "campaign" or the more immediate "arcade" mode.

Can anybody confirm if this is true?
This patch was for the option in online mode, since there was no option for it before. The single player remains how it is by design. Though I heard they are exploring something similar for single player but no guarantee.

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 12-07-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
This patch was for the option in online mode, since there was no option for it before. The single player remains how it is by design. Though I heard they are exploring something similar for single player but no guarantee.
Yeah...given the nature of the single player game (you progress through it by doing well in events), I can kind of understand their point of view. If damage in the single player mode is how it currently is online, a ton of people would be turned off to the game. It is VERY unforgiving, as just brushing the wall can effectively end your race. Realistic, but people would be rioting if they slammed into the back end of a slow-moving AI car (that's probably just trying to drive at a steady pace unlike a human trying to do hot laps in a real race), and damaged their car to the point of having to restart.

The option would have been nice, but after seeing it in online play, I'd probably leave it off while I was trying to get through single-player anyway.

Sort of a "be careful what you wish for" thing - PD can't win either way.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #15
Pro

Section_25's Arena

OVR: 13

I wouldnt mind if single player had visual and mechanical damage as long as it wasnt to extreme. I like the idea of having to be careful not to total the car on my first race in my new camaro. I also wouldnt mind if the damage was carried over to the next race. I was racing last night and had a minor accident and I thought I noticed the hood bent slightly, but in the next race it had been fixed on it's own. Why is there even the repair option if it is going to be fixed automatically? Am I missing something ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section_25
I wouldnt mind if single player had visual and mechanical damage as long as it wasnt to extreme. I like the idea of having to be careful not to total the car on my first race in my new camaro. ?
I share youre same views however, the problem with having mechanical damage in single player is the AI is SOOOOOO bad. They don't give a sh!t where you are on the track. There have been a number of occasions where I'll be in 1st place, I'll miscalculate my speed entering a turn and I'll spin out, then... I'm sure you guys know what happens next.... every single fr!kk!n CPU car that was following me hits me like my car is invisible. If you spin out in front of the pack, you better get the heck off the racing line or else you'll be at the mercy of the AI controlled cars. Can you imagine what your car would look like, and how it would drive after being pummeled by 11 other cars? Lol.
I think that's the sole reason for not including it in the single player campaign. It's not that Polyphony was concerned about us having to pay for repairs. It's because they understand that the AI is terrible and a simple patch won't fix it. The AI has to be completely overhauled in order to implement mechanical damage in the single player campaign.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »